Verified by Visa card authorisation problem

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes both credit and debit cards WORK ok online but...

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-vs-debit-card-safer-online-purchases/

Other sites exist! In summary

" If your card information is hacked and purchases are made without your permission, you’ll quickly find out that debit and credit cards are treated quite differently.

The key difference: With a credit card, the card issuer must fight to get its money back. With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back."

Also of course with a credit card you have protection for purchases over £100 so if something is not what you want and the retailer won't take it back then go to the credit card for a refund. Debit cards CAN issue chargeback but it's not the same.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends if the online retailer is signed up to the verification system.

A while ago it was reported that many retailers were no longer using the system. I can't remember when I was last asked for verification.

Where it is use the system checks whether verification is needed or not. Some purchases are verified automatically.

If verification is required the piuchase will not proceed without it.
  • WBCPB
    WBCPB Posts: 440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an error box appear at the top of the browser window stating:"please enter your correct DOB",i knew there was a problem as my DOB was correct,went into HSBC branch and they telephoned verified by visa who had me enter my details on "an assisted" browser window,the guy from India told me not to use any capital letters when entering my name,all went well and i was able to sign up.He could not tell me if i was able to change the password that i entered in front of the HSBC customer service rep though,and this has been an ongoing problem according to the bank`s counter staff,it seems to have surfaced only since HSBC switched from Mastercard to Visa verification platform.

Regards
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you using a proxy vpn? I sometimes have to turn mine off to perform certain banking functions, only found this out through trial and error after my bank’s technical team couldn’t figure out an issue.
  • Hi Guys. I think you are over complicating the situation here. The issue is Card Issuer based. HSBC outsource their Online verification (Verified by Visa) to a third party domain. Arcot Systems. Use a search engine and look for verified by visa hsbc. hsbc.co.uk/1/2/popups/verified-by-visa-information and once you proceed you will see. Other Card Issuer also outsource to this agency, such as Natwest, RBS, Santander and the Co-Op. There are many others and not just in the UK. The best solution here is to just change card issuer or use an alternative bank for online purchases. Or worst case penalise the website you are trying to order through and use a website that does not offer online Authentication (3D Secure).
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Guys. I think you are over complicating the situation here. The issue is Card Issuer based. HSBC outsource their Online verification (Verified by Visa) to a third party domain. Arcot Systems. Use a search engine and look for verified by visa hsbc. hsbc.co.uk/1/2/popups/verified-by-visa-information and once you proceed you will see. Other Card Issuer also outsource to this agency, such as Natwest, RBS, Santander and the Co-Op. There are many others and not just in the UK. The best solution here is to just change card issuer or use an alternative bank for online purchases. Or worst case penalise the website you are trying to order through and use a website that does not offer online Authentication (3D Secure).

The last post here was November 2017.
    Don't think many of the posters will read your reply.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 675 Forumite
    Options
    This probably needs a new thread but when I used my card yesterday when the verified by visa page came up (HSBC) instead of the usual message saying they don't require authorisation it announced that they are soon to introduce two factor authorisation via mobile phone. I can find no more information at present, will this be optional? As somebody who only uses his mobile for emergencies and it is normally turned off mobile two-factor is hardly very convenient. All tied in with the assumption that everybody has a smartphone these days and always in a mobile coverage area...
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2018 at 2:25PM
    Options
    This probably needs a new thread but when I used my card yesterday when the verified by visa page came up (HSBC) instead of the usual message saying they don't require authorisation it announced that they are soon to introduce two factor authorisation via mobile phone. I can find no more information at present, will this be optional? As somebody who only uses his mobile for emergencies and it is normally turned off mobile two-factor is hardly very convenient. All tied in with the assumption that everybody has a smartphone these days and always in a mobile coverage area...

No, it won't be optional. It is a requirement of PSD2. Remote transactions must be verified by 2FA, one of which must be in a message stating the merchant and amount. In other words you will get a text message saying "your authentication code for the payment to [merchant name] for the amount of £xx. xx is *******". Some small and low risk transactions will be exempt from this process.

There's a good blog on dynamically linking the transaction by SMS at https://blogs.sap.com/2018/02/22/understanding-strong-customer-authentication-for-eus-psd2/
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 675 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably there will be some method for those who don't own or have access to a mobile phone....
  • CATE48
    CATE48 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have a slightly different problem, I had never registered for verified by visa until I started to have a problem and my current bank never asked for any verification, it just failed. There are several online shopping websites I have used with no problem for a while, which wont now proceed past the verified by visa stage stage in the process. My bank Santander say its not their problem because the websites don't submit a payment request to them . The websites, specifically Sainsbury's say its a card problem because it wont go past the verified by visa stage. And visa themselves seem to be impossible to contact. If anyone knows how I can resolve this it will really help. Its not the first time its happened to me. I changed banks last time to get away from this problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure