Main executor also main beneficiary

Options
One of my oldest friends died suddenly back in the middle of March. He was long divorced, no children. He left a will and had prepaid his funeral. He made a much younger friend the executor & also main beneficiary(only 2 of us). I was asked to be joint executor but for various reasons had to decline. Due to living hundreds of miles apart have never met the executor in person but have spoken to him on the phone. I'm getting little anxious because he hasn't applied for probate yet. I appreciate he's had some personal problems but can't understand the delay in proceeding with probate on straightforward estate . My friend owned a mobile home(no mortgage). Funeral paid for. Owned his car outright.Only one debt outstanding as far as I'm aware. He wasn't a very wealthy man and estate not liable for I.T. I'm not desperate for my legacy but I'm getting older and would like to share & enjoy my gift. Should I be patient and wait a couple more months before asking questions? I check the Government Will site on regular basis. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies but title should read EXECUTOR & MAIN BENEFICARY
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Was the mobile home his main residence? Can you be sure he wasn't a 'wealthy man'? Many people can be frugal and stash away their cash , giving the impression they are of modest means.

Perhaps the executor has found there is more to the estate than anticipated. Maybe someone has placed a caveat on the will as they wish to challenge it. There could be any number of legitimate reasons for the delay. Being an executor can be a stressful role even in what appears to be a straightforward estate.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of my oldest friends died suddenly back in the middle of March.

He made a much younger friend the executor & also main beneficiary(only 2 of us).

I'm getting little anxious because he hasn't applied for probate yet.

Should I be patient and wait a couple more months before asking questions?

You could contact him and ask how things are going with him and offer to help if there's anything you can do.

The executor isn't obliged to keep you informed of the process but there's also no reason not to if everything's above board.

I kept the other beneficiaries of Dad's estate informed all along the way - a couple of small things held up progress and I wanted them to know the reasons why things weren't moving.
  • Francesanne
    Options
    Sorry for being so dim and not sure how to reply to each individual comment.
    Thank you for your condolences. Was great shock.
    The mobile home (pretty basic) was his main residence (executor inherits that outright).
    I'm positive he wasn't wealthy. There is no-one to challenge will.
    I know the executor isn't obliged to keep me informed and I'm reluctant to put any pressure on him. Very little I can do to help, due to the hundreds of miles distance.I'll wait to New Year before broaching the subject with him. Thank you for you advice.
  • Francesanne
    Options
    Have been worrying about lack of action and contact on my late friends will. Sent text to executor last night.He informed me that "he's waiting for probate & will let me know once probate has been granted". Fair enough but he then went onto mention "that he could then sell mobile & distribute finances". As he's inherited the mobile home outright, I don't believe that my legacy is dependent on the sale of his property. Am I correct on that assumption? Waiting for him to sell it could take another 9 months of more. It seems to be taking forever to settle a small estate without any complications.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't believe that my legacy is dependent on the sale of his property. Am I correct on that assumption?

Speculation here - but it might be that there are insufficient funds to pay out your legacy without selling the mobile home if it was a specific amount of money. If that's the case the executor might be selling it to make sure you get your legacy.

Executors don't have to distribute anything until any property has been sold and all debts paid anyway.
  • Francesanne
    Options
    Executor replied to my text and emailed me copy of will (hard copy to follow).Now able to understand the situation. My friend had originally told me that his friend & executor was going to inherit his mobile and I agreed entirely with his decision. The will shows that I've been left a quarter of his estate and executor/friend three quarters. Fully understand the situation now and explains why we need for the mobile to be sold before distributing legacy. Thank you all for your help and comments.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Pleased the executor sent you a copy of the will and it all makes sense.
  • Francesanne
    Options
    Executor/main beneficiary finally applied & received probate & grant. He suggested that instead of waiting for mobile home to be sold would I be happy to receive my quarter share from liquid assets and then receive the rest when mobile home sold. Was happy with suggestion .Duly received cheque but no paperwork or correspondence..Intended waiting for mobile to be sold before asking for copy of estate accounts. Recently had call from executor informing me mobile virtually worthless after supposed meeting with site owner. No mention of putting home on market. I'm highly suspicious because he received valuation from estate agent for probate & I don't feel he's being honest talking to him. Possible that he's made private deal with his father and he's moved in. Don't know if I've got the energy or inclination to take it further but don't like to feel I'm being ripped off. We're hundreds of miles apart and not possible to actually visit the site the home is on. Maybe I should just be happy with what I've received and accept what he's told me.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    The value of a mobile home can be very hit-and-miss.
    A relative of mine paid £25,000 for one in 2005 and was offered just £500 ten years later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure