Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • starnac
    • By starnac 22nd Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5,254Posts
    • 24,679Thanks
    starnac
    Room for a little one?
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    Room for a little one? 22nd Nov 17 at 1:57 PM
    Well I am back again. I've been around these boards for a number of years and have made some good friends here.

Back last year I finally became debt free and it has been great. We loosened the belts for a bit and enjoyed life a bit more. It's amazing what not having the pressure of debt can do to your outlook.

But I've missed being here. We have spent money on "wants" not "needs" and we really need to get back to keeping a closer eye on our finances again.

I've been thinking of coming back for a while but didn't feel right as I no longer had any debt (bar our mortgage), however as of yesterday we are back in our overdraft.

I feel pretty cross with myself for going overdrawn but it really couldn't be helped. It's going to sound very un-MSE when I tell you the reason but please bear with me.

My step dad has recently had a terminal diagnosis and so I have just paid for a family holiday just after Christmas. We had money saved but this has cost more than we had saved as his medical needs has pushed up the price. My sister will be paying towards the cost too so the amount of my overdraft will come down by the end of the week but we will still be about 200 overdrawn.

I know it's ridiculous going into debt for a holiday and that's why I feel guilty. But it's needed. My children need some happy memories with him while he is still well enough. So does my mum.

So here I am! Back in the friendly, welcoming arms of the DFW's.
    Savings 1000
    Overpayments made 0/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 492/2018
Page 2
    • starnac
    • By starnac 30th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    We've just got back from a few days at the inlaws' and I've spent the evening sorting out budgets for the new year and lists of things we would like to get done in the house.

I worry that next year isn't going to be a good year due to my step-dad's illness and my MIL isn't very well either so at this point it's anyone's guess as to what 2018 will hold.

As such I am determined that we will achieve a lot of things next year. Some are little things like finally hanging the notice board in the dining room etc but others are bigger such as replacing the kitchen cupboard doors. I have made savings goals, spending goals and overpayment goals and I am ready to get going.

I have set a shopping budget which I will keep track of here and I plan on having a frugal-ish January (ish due to our holiday) and a more "proper" frugal February.

So shopping budget set at 200 for our family of 4. I hope to spend less than that but considering we spent 350 this month (and no we didn't go overboard for Christmas) then I think that's a reasonable place to start.
    Last edited by starnac; 02-03-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    Savings 1000
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 31st Dec 17, 9:26 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I'm so with you starnac - glad the trip was good - setting goals - I'm with you on that - here there are things still in boxes - hardly anything up on the walls and storage to be sorted.

I need to follow your example and make some budgets and goals for the next year.

Our food budget for 2 is generally 200 (300 with other household spends) - so maybe we need to follow your example and make a goal to reduce it by about half. And a frugal february sounds like a plan.

I wish you and yours the best the year can be - filled with love and kindness xx
    Overdraft 1 1000/0, Overdraft 2 1000/1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = 0, Credit Card 2 2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • starnac
    • By starnac 31st Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    I wish you and yours the best the year can be - filled with love and kindness xx
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    Right back at ya. We can make the best of the year no matter what it may bring.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 1st Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Happy New Year

Well the kids satyed up to watch the new year in. They were very underwhelmed. I think they thought that something *magical* would happen at midnight They were in bed not long after and did lie in til almost 9am which is very late for my two.

I was up and out for the parkrun double this morning. So an hour's worth of free exercise done. Well not quite free, in the rush to get to the start line of the second parkrun I parked in the nearest car park and it cost me 1 to park there! Still not too bad I suppose.

As I was driving out of the town (it's near the sea) the queue of cars trying to get in was pretty much all the way back to the motorway! Lucky we were there so early as I think a lot of people were going for a NYD "blow the cobwebs away" walk along the beach.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 2nd Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Morning all. DH has gone back to work today. I'm kind of sad as it's been nice having him home but I'm also kind of glad as it's one step closer to "normality". Kids go back to school on monday and although I will be sad to see them go, again it's nice for all of us to get back into routine.

First spends from the shopping budget yesterday. We needed milk so that's 2 spent. We will need a few bits ready for when the kids go back, for their lunchboxes etc but I won't buy much as they will only be in school 4 days before we go away.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 3rd Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    We've just been to town to the HB bargains shop. DS had some money for Christmas and he remembered that in that shop there was a whole wall with toys. He asked if he could spend some of his money on a new toy. I wasn't particularly keen as he had quite a lot at christmas. But I couldn't comlain really as neither of them ask for much.

Both took 10 and looked at everything before they made a decision about what they wanted. Both were very happy with their choices and both brought change home too

While in there I picked up some bits too. Some toilet roll, bread and fruit. I spent 7.38 so not too bad. Will add that to the shopping total.
    Savings 1000
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Sounds like a nice day all in all - and your two I'm sure were good at the research of what they wanted before they spent it!

Hope you're winds are down a bit - looked a bit crazy on the news down south.

You're doing so much better than me on the spends - I'm already up well into double figures......but I'm back at work tomorrow so here's hoping I have a NSD day or two....

Have a great afternoon!
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • starnac
    • By starnac 4th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    They were very good at researching their choice Pippi. I think we drilled it into them the first time we went to D1sneyland. We only had a set budget for treats (toys) so we told them that they could ask to go in any (or every) shop they wanted. If they saw something they wanted to buy they could put it on their list. Then the eve of our last day in the park we went through their lists with them to see which they wanted the most. They were allowed to go back and look at any "contenders" if they wanted, then on the last day we bought them their choice.

It worked for us as they didn't spend all holiday asking for things we couldn't afford, and it worked for them as they both got something they wanted. We repeated it when we went back there a year ago and fair play they were fab. Now whenever they've got money to spend they like to weigh up their options. Even as adults we know how frustrating it is to spend our money impulsively on something then later on see something that would have been much better suited.

So they go and they look at everything, they are aware of the budget and keep to those within that amount. I usually look a bit odd loitering while I keep an eye on two kids who are far enough apart in age to have completely different tastes. Then when they have seen everything, I ask which are their favourites. They show me then we discuss the merits of each one "well this one has two cars for the same price" etc then they choose.

It may sound a long winded way of doing it but I get to hold tight to my budget while they feel that they have complete freedom to choose whatever they want. Both parties come away feeling like they got their way so it can't be a bad thing can it?
    Last edited by starnac; 04-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Savings 1000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 47,625 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    starnac - you're an inspiration with your 2 children! I hope I can emulate you with BG's spending in the future

Just nipped in to tell you that I was thinking of you today, when I popped into a chazzer and they had an 'all in one' waterproof suit - thing (dunno what they're called) that was the right size for BG! So no more spoilt clothes or curtailed outings if they stray into the only puddle for miles around!.... assuming we've remembered to take the suit and put it on them...........

Have a great day, lovely

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8,178 Posts
    • 40,509 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Starnac, I would say that is an example of excellent parenting
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • starnac
    • By starnac 4th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Thank you ladies. You are both too kind.

Greying DS had one of those and we loved it. His was very thick and kept him nice and warm on the school run. BG will love the freedom you give them to splash in puddles. It's an improtant part of childhood.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 5th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Evening all, well I had a lovely day today. DD slept over at a friend's house last night so this morning was just DS and me! It was lovely. We were invited out to the cinema with a group of friends and all we had to pay for was our food at maccyD's before hand! So that was 9 something - they messed up and I ended up not getting a receipt, I paid by card so I'll wait for it to show up on my online banking before I add it to my total. I also bought a balloon and a badge for a friend but I am splitting that cost with another friend so will also add that total tomorrow when I get her share.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 8th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Kiddies went back to school this morning. They were ready to go back as they had started arguing with each other and just generally getting on each other's nerves. The house has been so quiet without them although I have got a lot done.

I popped into town and did some banking, I put the kids' christmas money in their bank accounts and told my bank that I will be using my card abroad next week. I also bought some Euros and upgraded my phone.

I'm not one to have the fanciest phone but mine was started to get really slow and kept switching off at inconvenient times even though the battery seemed to have plenty of juice left. The guy in the shop seemed surprised that my phone even worked considering it's age and tried to sell me the all singing, all dancing, newest phone in the series. I passed and instead upgraded to the next one up from the one I had. Which basically does the same thing! For less money! I do need to buy a new protective cover but I got my last one from the internet for much cheaper than phone-shop prices.

DH did a bit of back to school lunchbox shopping last night. That came to 12.89 plus milk today at 2 so they both need to be added to the running total.
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 9th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Morning all, Kids are in school again. They were much better at getting up this morning although DD did say that her blanket was calling her to stay tucked up in the warm! I know how you feel my lovely

DD had a bike lock for Christmas (her request) so that she could ride her bike to school. We walk to school but I cannot carry two bikes/one bike & one scooter home so she asked if she could have a bike lock so that she could leave her bike at school. This works for me too as they are ready to go much earlier if I tell them they can cycle/scoot to school. So we tried it out this morning. She was very impressed. Bless her.

I called in the local greengocers on the way home and spent 55p on some veg. Some of that is for the guinea pig but I had a lovely chat about "the olden days" with the owner and another (older) customer. It reminded me how much I love village life.
    Savings 1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 8,178 Posts
    • 40,509 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Excellent choice of bike lock for a present - well done DD!
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 10th Jan 18, 6:32 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Glad its getting easier to get back to school - DD is most excellent in her choices, sensible lass. And, nice to have some DS time.

You must be excited about getting away......we've just put in a new play area at work, and a new cafe - I know your two would just love the new area -

Well done on a treaty weekend not costing loads and to friends who treat us.

I try to use the little greengrocer in the local village to work and the health food shop as I can - but I'm not mindful enough to use them as much as I should. I'd hate to see them go.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • starnac
    • By starnac 10th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Pippi I must confess I don't use the greengrocer as often as I should but I am working on it. I pass there 4 times a day when I walk the kids to school so I've got no excuse really but I just don't carry cash. I need to start!
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 10th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Lots of pre-holiday prep going on here. The last wash load is on and packing will be done tonight. I am so stressed over this holiday, I just want everything to be perfect! I know it's silly but I can't help it.

I've bought my mum a present which I will give to her friday morning. She has a big birthday this year so I will tell her the present is for that. She never asks for anything but she did mention this one this while we were talking so I thought I'd surprise her. We save money for Christmas every year and we had some left over this year and I've used that to pay for it so technically it didn't cost me anything. Do you think she'll buy that line?
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 1st Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Can you believe it's been so long? Lots has happened since the last time I posted. We have been away on our family holiday and it was amazing. The journey was so easy and much less stressful than I thought it would be. We even had snow out there, which doesn't sound that exciting now considering the current state of this country!

Apparently my step-dad told my mum that the only downside to the holiday was that it wasn't long enough. So I am pleased about that. We couldn't have afforded to have gone for longer and he completely understands but I am glad he enjoyed it enough to want to stay that bit longer.

Other news here is that my MIL has passed away. Not really a shock but still unexpected if that makes sense.

We have a snow day here and another one tomorrow. We've been out on sleds which the kids loved. They did like coming back into the warm though!

Not much to report money wise I don't think. All the figures in my signature need updated which I will try to tomorrow. I just wanted to check in and say Hi
    Savings 1000
    • starnac
    • By starnac 2nd Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 5,254 Posts
    • 24,679 Thanks
    starnac
    Morning all. Hope you are all keeping safe and warm.

We have yet more snow than yesterday which the kids are pleased about. They want to go out on their sleds again later but at the moment we are enjoying watching it out of the window.

I've done a few money things -
    Taxed DH's car,
    moved some money into savings
    I also requested a callback from our mortgage company as I can't seem to overpay through their website even though they said I would be able to. They sent me a text to say someone would ring me at 11.09 (very specific!) but nothin yet. I'm still waiting!

Our boiler is playing up again. We spent quite a lot on getting it fixed various times last year. In hindsight we should have replaced it the first time it went but the cost to fix it wasn't too bad, neither was the second time but by the third and fourth, well you get the picture! DH has done a temp fix but we really could do with a new one. We so have some savings but most of that was spent on Berlin, so we don't have enough yet. Fingers crossed it lasts through this cold weather and gives us time to save for the rest.
    Savings 1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,873Posts Today

9,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin