Options
1235»

Comments

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2018 at 3:49PM
    Options
    Snow has mostly gone here but the kids do have an extra snow day due to "many H&S issues";. So there goes my planned day. Instead of catching up on my work I have spent the morning doing silly Bu77 fe3d quizzes with DD. We have discovered what ages we are (her 34, me 28 :rotfl: ) what dog we should adopt, which HP house we should be sorted into, and what our ideal house would look like AND our ideal holiday!!! A productive morning :rotfl:

On the upside, the mortgage company finally rang me back with the details for overpaying. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to skip the overpayment this month as we may need a new boiler :(
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • starnac
    Options
    Afternoon all. Well I am currently sat waiting for the boiler man to arrive. They gave me a "between 1-4pm" appointment time which I had to take. I told them that I needed to do the school run at 3pm but they still haven't arrived yet. Even if they do arrive now it's pushing it for me to actually go out and get the kids! I have asked one of the other mums if she minded picking my two up and dropping them home on her way past. She hasn't replied yet but I hope it's not a problem.

I'm a bit concerned how much this boiler will cost. We had it fixed numerous times last year and the guy eventually admitted that it would have been cheaper to replace the whole boiler. Well, hindsight is a lovely thing and after ALL the repairs, then yes it would have been. However, each individual repair was much cheaper than a new boiler. I'm just concerned now that it would just make more financial sense to pay for a new one.

To add to everything, my car needs a new battery. That's £70 to add to whatever the boiler is going to cost! I could cry! We have savings but not enough to cover everything and with countless trips up north to deal with the funeral arrangements etc then we were needing a tight month anyway!

Oh I am feeling sorry for myself aren't I? Best go and try to shake this mood. Hurry up boiler man!!
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    edited 4 June 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    What am I like? I really should post more often.

So we did end up getting a new boiler. The quote we were given to fix it was just so expensive that we were really concerned about it going again and again like last time so we bit the bullet and got a quote for a new one. Well!!! How expensive are boilers?? I had a figure in mind but the quote was over £1000 more that that! I nearly had a fit. Thankfully the son of a friend of DH's (still following? :rotfl: ) has just qualified as a gas engineer. So DH bought a boiler, the friend's son fitted it for a much cheaper amount and then he got some one more qualified than him to check it over and pass it so we know it's safe. Saved us a lot of money.

We have had some lovely weather here recently so we've spent the time sorting out the garden. DH did a few tip runs to get rid of all the bits that have built up in the corner of the garden and I listed a few of the bigger outdoor toys that the kids have grown out of. I can't believe how much interest there were in them. They sold straight away and I had to disappoint a lot of people. So a bit of money there and the garden looks so much bigger without them in there.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Options
    We've been trying to save more as we can be a bit lax in that department. In the past all our MSE savings have gone on paying off debts so not having any is a bit of a change for us. DH and I have been talking and we may be looking to move in the next 5 years to our forever home. Somewhere with an actual proper garden, not a tiny yard! We haven't completely decided yet but it won't hurt to have some savings behind us anyway.

These savings are separate from our emergency savings (a lot of which paid for the boiler) and our "annual bills" savings. We do need to build our emergency savings back up so that's where we'll be concentrating on for a while I think.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Options
    Well today is the last day of half term. We have an inset day so the kids have an extra day off. I honestly don't feel that we have done anything this week due to me still recovering from my operation. It was a much needed quiet week but it doesn't stop the guilt I have for not taking them anywhere.

They have had friends round and a friend of mine took them for an afternoon of crafting for me but we haven't done as much as we normally do. I suppose it's not such a bad thing to have a quiet week is it?
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Options
    Kids are back in school today and I'm struggling already! Our mornings have been quite relaxed so the back to school routine has wiped me out! It's ridiculous. I feel quite well in myself but my body is obviously not quite there. I had so many things on my to-do list for today and the way I feel at the moment, I can't see any of them getting done :( Must pull my finger out
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business