'Fine art investment' - beware!

Hi all

I'm a newbie to the forum and wanted give you lovely money savers a heads-up about the experience my 82-year-old mum has been through this week with a company called Alternative Investments (assetconsultingservices.com). I have already reported them in detail to the FCA, Action Fraud and have also emailed Rip Off Britain, so I won't give a blow-by-blow account here, just a summary:

This company's tactic appears to be to cold-call people and claim that their shareholding is underperforming, quoting a vastly reduced valuation and offering to invest that money in fine art instead,claiming a return of 15% over 6 months. Their sales technique seems to be to keep talking until the weary recipient agrees to having some paperwork sent to them, if only to get the cold caller off the phone. The company then courier over a 'Fine Art Purchase Agreement' (sent from Spain) a couple of days later and follow it up with another call. If the recipient rejects the agreement during this call they are immediately threatened with legal action, as the company claims that verbally agreeing to have paperwork sent through constitutes a legally binding contract to pay the money.

The company is not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (as stated on the FCA website).

This bullying, intimidating behaviour is a disgrace and I suspect that this company will be deliberately targeting more mature individuals, trying to scare them into handing over their money. They have already reduced my mum to a nervous wreck - a usually very savvy lady who takes care of her own financial arrangements without any assistance, but who was caught out at a vulnerable moment due to illness. If it can happen to her, it can happen to anyone. Stay safe, people!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Perhaps time to be getting a financial POA for your mum and taking control of her finances ?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 November 2017 at 5:31PM
    I'm sorry to hear that. Your description can be applied to many dodgy firms out there. For her future protection I suggest you tell her it is illegal for regulated firms to cold call people about investments, so to receive such a call immediately means it is unregulated firm calling.

There is no need to be polite, just put the phone down on them.

The bullying is a common tactic in the bottom end of the market and pretty much marks it as a scam.

If she gave them any money then she should be warned:
    1) She will now be on a "suckers list" which gets sold to other dodgy companies
    2) She may be contacted by another company who say they can recover her money. It's a scam too.

Although you said the name of the company was Alternative Investments the web site you gave was for Asset Consulting Services. There is an FCA warning about them as you are probably aware:
    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/asset-consulting-consultant-services
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the feedback on Alternative Investments (assetconsultingservices.com) it's always useful to know about companies that are not FCA registered that are approaching UK consumers.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    OP thanks for sharing your mum's experience

I wonder how long it will be before another newbie signs up just to give their glowing endorsement to this company:cool:
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe a call blocker for the phone would help?
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Maybe a call blocker for the phone would help?
    ...or get mum to change her number and go ex-directory.
  • Thanks for your good thoughts - sorry for late reply to you all. Mum has had no further contact from these crooks. We already have a POA in place for when it becomes necessary but she is getting back to being as sharp as ever after a series of stressful events - they just caught her at a low ebb on a bad day. Next scam caller won't be so lucky, I dread to think what she'll say!
  • PL_Coventry
    PL_Coventry Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:11PM
    I have been taken in by it and am now being threatened with legal action. I have reported them to the FCA and Action Police Fraud they will not stop calling me and I can’t block number as it is withheld. Very threatening and bullying beyond belief!!
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Might be worth speaking to your phone provider to see if they can block any numbers where the number is with held.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The FCA are the regulator that deals with regulated companies. This is not an area that is regulated.

Action Fraud is the correct place but it wont be "actioned" until sufficient numbers report it.

BT 1572 allows you to block all withheld numbers. That may work as its normally only scams that withhold. If you do have a friend or relative that withholds their number, you can tell them not to do it when ringing you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback