To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all

Off to get ready for visit from DS He is helping DH put stuff into the loft

We have 9 manageable size boxes, 5 boxes of toiletries, 1 each of cards and new decorations and 2 misc which will need to come back down about Easter for sorting

Going to visit the podiatrist later today then having a meal out with friends tonight Oh the busy life I lead

Enjoy whatever you do
  • Bikertov
    Bikertov Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    Thanks Zippy, for reminding me that weighing differently counts twice! My fillers often include a tin of peas for the food bank and cream crackers for us. I don’t buy sweets either.

I've never bought sweets for fillers. Always fruit and veg as suggested, then other things we use like cleaning products (thin bleach is good at 25p), drinks etc etc I just check on MSM to see the comparison and rarely lose out.
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    Morning luvlies

Been thinking of getting a food vacuum machine for a while now, especially with all the whoopsies around at the moment. The polystyrene type packaging which meat comes on takes up so much room in the freezer. I usually just open it up and rewrap it but wondering about the whole vacuum thing. I know it’s been discussed a few times on here before but things may have improved now, prices etc.

What do people generally think of them? Are the bags expensive to replace each time? Don’t really want to add a lot to the price of the food so was wondering roughly how much it would cost to wrap say a couple of chicken breasts. Also I’ve read it helps to keep the food fresher longer is that because it stops freezer burn? Grateful for anyone’s comments :)
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    emerald21 wrote: »
    Oh I didn’t know you looked like that TM :eek: bless you :D

Good Morning all :)

No I was only joking Em:D

This is me:D

1_D538_BB5-2162-439_B-8_A4_B-0982_C249_D2_E4.jpg
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Morning luvlies

Been thinking of getting a food vacuum machine for a while now, especially with all the whoopsies around at the moment. The polystyrene type packaging which meat comes on takes up so much room in the freezer. I usually just open it up and rewrap it but wondering about the whole vacuum thing. I know it’s been discussed a few times on here before but things may have improved now, prices etc.

What do people generally think of them? Are the bags expensive to replace each time? Don’t really want to add a lot to the price of the food so was wondering roughly how much it would cost to wrap say a couple of chicken breasts. Also I’ve read it helps to keep the food fresher longer is that because it stops freezer burn? Grateful for anyone’s comments :)

I don’t know if this helps hampy but for chicken breasts I wrap in clingfilm and then put in Ziplock branded bags and never get freezer burn. It’s quite easy to press out the air out.

Just checking prices and they are :eek::eek:

I’ve had the bags years ....must have bought in bulk when cheap but just looking at prices now and they start at £9.99 on Amazon for 54 bags:eek:

If anyone knows where I can get these cjheaper I would love to know.

They really are the bees knees for freezing food.:)
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I don’t know if this helps hampy but for chicken breasts I wrap in clingfilm and then put in Ziplock branded bags and never get freezer burn. It’s quite easy to press out the air out.

Just checking prices and they are :eek::eek:

I’ve had the bags years ....must have bought in bulk when cheap but just looking at prices now and they start at £9.99 on Amazon for 54 bags:eek:

If anyone knows where I can get these cjheaper I would love to know.

They really are the bees knees for freezing food.:)

Thanks TM, similar here, I foil wrap then pop them in the tie up freezer bags on a roll and write on with a sharpie.

Do you mean you’ve had the ziplock bags for years or do you have a vacuum machine? Yes, the bags seem very expensive to me too, bit cheaper on eBay but don’t really know what I’m looking for. The machines are on average about £40-£50 so after the initial outlay I’m hoping they will work out less than 10p to vacuum the food. Not paying anymore than that :rotfl:
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • izzy65
    izzy65 Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning luvlies

I have a vacuum sealer, I buy the Lidl Aromata freezer bags, 75 of the 3l size, and find these are the best for freezing, they are so strong and seal really well with my machine.
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Tinyshoes wrote: »
    Probably like gold dust but nice Guylian crepe set gift, £6.24 down from £24.99 :eek:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7257289

Managed to find one. :T

They have these in Basildon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills