Advice for 14 Day Grace

Hello,

So a parent at my address wasn't too happy me getting a 0% card from Aqua and decided to snap it and threw it away.

They even tried to call Aqua and ask them why they approved me and whether she could cancel it and override my authority.

Unfortunately there is no chance of me getting a re-sent card as she'll now open all envelopes under my name to check.

I am 18, a student and have an income that is sufficient to manage the card - I also have a vanquis and capital one card which are also managed responsibly (I managed to sneak those ones without her seeing the letters) I guess luck doesn't strike three times!

I hear like with most things there is a 14 day window for the credit agreement to be cancelled under law. The card hasn't been used and there's no transactions whatsoever.

If I cancel within this 14 day window, will they still report the account to the CFA's and what would it show as?

I'm assuming they can't send my card to another person's address on my behalf for security reasons or is this possible upon request?

I'm quite gutted as it's the highest limit card I've been approved for so far and it's 0% for 6 months which isn't too bad for an 18 year old with a fairly short credit history. Sadly whilst I'm still living with the grumps I have to put up with their anti-credit policy. I can't deal with more shouting if I get the card re-sent I'd probably be thrown out :D

Your advice on the above questions would be great! Thanks :j
Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    That's unfortunate circumstances to be living under.

Yes, you can withdraw from the agreement. I believe the account will be shown as closed - rather than deleted completely. The search would of course remain.

Either way, nothing particularly problematic at this stage.

They won't send the card to an address which isn't yours. If you were to apply for a card from your bank, they may send it to your local branch for collection.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Is there any reason why you've applied for a third card? If you're looking to build a credit history, two well managed cards are just as beneficial as three, it's the conduct that is important not the number of cards. In fact, get too many and that will start to go against you.

Also look at other factors that will affect any lending decision, such az being on the electoral roll and having a regular income.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    T-G-C wrote: »

Unfortunately there is no chance of me getting a re-sent card as she'll now open all envelopes under my name to check.

It sounds like you're living under less than harmonious circumstances :( But you could try pointing out to her that it is actually illegal - according to the Postal Services Act 2000 - to open mail addressed to someone else.

You also say "I also have a vanquis and capital one card which are also managed responsibly (I managed to sneak those ones without her seeing the letters)" - how do you go on with the statements being delivered each month ? What if she sees these before you do ?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    T-G-C wrote: »
    So a parent at my address wasn't too happy me getting a 0% card from Aqua and decided to snap it and threw it away.

You can arrange to collect your mail from your local delivery office: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1513/~/can-i-have-my-mail-held-for-collection-from-my-local-delivery-office%3F.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    It sounds like you're living under less than harmonious circumstances :( But you could try pointing out to her that it is actually illegal - according to the Postal Services Act 2000 - to open mail addressed to someone else.

You also say "I also have a vanquis and capital one card which are also managed responsibly (I managed to sneak those ones without her seeing the letters)" - how do you go on with the statements being delivered each month ? What if she sees these before you do ?

When you're living under the person in question's roof, the law doesn't come into it unfortunately, if I starting reminding her of the law she'll tell me to pack my bags if I don't like her rules :rotfl:

I have everything statement-wise digitally delivered instead of paper based thankfully. I hope that neither companies send me any letters in future as she'll now open them since the suspicion is higher than ever since seeing Aqua.

She won't usually check my letters but she knows when there's a card inside, so that's why she opened it today - either that or it has aqua written on the front but I didn't see it as she threw it away before I got home.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • T-G-C
    First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you've applied for a third card? If you're looking to build a credit history, two well managed cards are just as beneficial as three, it's the conduct that is important not the number of cards. In fact, get too many and that will start to go against you.

Also look at other factors that will affect any lending decision, such az being on the electoral roll and having a regular income.

As added a third card because they offered me a fairly good deal for someone with a limited credit history. I wouldn't have exceeded three.
  • [Deleted User]
    She'll have felt the card inside, as they're sent unbranded.

It's like that you will get letters from the other cards. Rate changes, limit increases, notices of variations, etc tend to be sent by post.

Not much you can do about it, but just be aware.
  • T-G-C
    First Post
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Unfortunately they send a letter to your door confirming you've asked for your mail to be held at the service centre. I think that will be very counter-initiative for the person in question.
  • T-G-C
    First Post
    She'll have felt the card inside, as they're sent unbranded.

It's like that you will get letters from the other cards. Rate changes, limit increases, notices of variations, etc tend to be sent by post.

Not much you can do about it, but just be aware.

If she begins to open every single letter that comes through the door with my name, I will definitely start an agreement with Royal Mail to hold them, as that'll be good enough reason for privacy invasion.

I have to call it fair game today as the card inside the envelope would've been an indicator but she can't start opening all my letters, head of house or not :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Send yourself a package with a loaded mouse trap in it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure