Advice for 14 Day Grace

Options
13»

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    I opened a post office account when I was 7 (I think). I used to write down every transaction I engaged in, including putting an estimated value on gifts I had received (of course, cash was preferred). My parents thought I was obsessed - and certainly I wouldn't have put up with interference from them (who weren't so good with money to my way of thinking).

But it worked in their favour: when I was 18 I got a hefty sponsorship to go to university. I lent it to my parents to finance their divorce. I was the only student in my class to have a debt "going the other way".
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 12:32PM
    Options
    I opened a post office account when I was 7 (I think). I used to write down every transaction I engaged in, including putting an estimated value on gifts I had received (of course, cash was preferred). My parents thought I was obsessed - and certainly I wouldn't have put up with interference from them (who weren't so good with money to my way of thinking).

But it worked in their favour: when I was 18 I got a hefty sponsorship to go to university. I lent it to my parents to finance their divorce. I was the only student in my class to have a debt "going the other way".

I do become obsessed with things to a limited degree, and building a credit history and having the privilege of spending in advance was something I longed for when turning 18 - even more than drinking alcohol legally!

I'm too young to know what a post office account is, as all I know them for is sending parcels and exchanging currency :rotfl: but I understand your context.

You are generous to finance their divorce using your sponsorship money, as I certainly wouldn't and would tell my parents to sort out their marriage or pay to have it terminated themselves. This is because I class something like that as disposable expenditure and I won't finance other people with such nature - only for things that have to be paid for as a matter of life or stability. For my self though it's different story :rotfl:
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    T-G-C wrote: »
    I'm too young to know what a post office account is, as all I know them for is sending parcels and exchanging currency :rotfl: but I understand your context.

Actually it was a National Savings Bank Ordinary Account (which operated through the Post Office) and later an Investment Account (which required a month's notice). The NSB has been rebranded NS&I since.
    T-G-C wrote: »
    You are generous to finance their divorce using your sponsorship money, as I certainly wouldn't and would tell my parents to sort out their marriage or pay to have it terminated themselves

Not so generous. I charged them interest...!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure