Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 118Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    0 WOW
    Holiday Property Bond
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Holiday Property Bond 9th Oct 17 at 8:27 PM
    Does anyone have any experiences of investing in the Holiday Property Bond company. It's a sort of timeshare/debenture company. The advantage to us is that they are up on wheelchair/disabled facilities and access and their places are pretty well located in the UK with a select few in the Med. Normally going on holiday is a complete pain because of things like beach access or wheelchair access etc. but our family experience with this company in Anglesey was great. Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 30th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 30th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 30th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    have a read of https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10700-k3283956-o340-Holiday_Property_Bond-Timeshares_Vacation_Rentals.html

Go to the post by slandheaghey Belfast N ireland at 17 October 2017, 20:18 - that seems to explain it quite well.

Mark
    Last edited by isplumm; 30-10-2017 at 9:02 PM.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Seronera
    • By Seronera 20th Jun 18, 4:24 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Seronera
    • 20th Jun 18, 4:24 PM
    • 20th Jun 18, 4:24 PM
    If you already have a family experience with HPB in Anglesey why not ask them. Its not timeshare or debenture. Anyone who thinks it is has misled you. You put money into what is technically an offshore insurance based investment bond. They pinch quite a bit of that money in charges (roughly 25%), and the rest is divided between buying property and investments whose return helps to maintain the properties. That is how the property portfolio is built and expanded. There is also an annual fixed charge of £25 a quarter which you pay regardless of whether you use a property or not. Then if you book a property there is a weekly user charge that is around the £400 mark but can vary. This is to pay for the services during your stay...gas/elec/ bedlinen changes/cleaning etc.

There is a points system where each year you are allocated points in line with what you invested. You use those points to book properties. Out of season there are "points free" opportunities that come and go. This is to encourage low season occupancy. You still have to pay the use charge.

Will you make money on what you put in ? Absolutely not. In fact you will take a hit in view of the charges. Will your holiday entitlement increase or decrease ? It will only increase if you add money, but your existing points are indexed so do not erode in value if points requirements increase (they are indexed too, so they will).

Is it good value ? That depends. In the short term its a pretty expensive venture, but as time goes on it becomes better value the more usage you get out of it You can also pass the bond on to children/grandchildren by adding them as lives assured. This means they don't have to pay the initial charges again (The ones YOU paid !!!)

Are the properties good ? Without a doubt and the service from the staff on site and at head office is exemplary. Some of the property restorations are little short of spectacular and do the bond great credit (see Tigh Mor Trossachs, St Brides Castle and currently in build...The Coo Palace in Dumfrieshire)

Is it a Scam........? I flipping well hope not as I've had my money in since 1987. I've never had a bad holiday. We use the Bond twice a year on average as my 'investment' was comparatively small. My kids have grown up with it and love it and I've just got back from a lovely week at one of the smaller hidden away properties, Lower Knapp Farm in Devon.

You will find a few naysayers on these forums. Mostly they havn't a clue what they are talking about. I would emphasize that its not a 'cheap' holiday in any sense of the word. Is it for everybody ? Nope....but there are remarkably few dissatisfied Bondholders. If there is a criticism it is that the financial structure of the HPB company is somewhat opaque and difficult to pin down, and the portfolio valuations are low in my opinion as they are "a matter of opinion" as property is difficult to value. This means that encashment values are poor, but if that is important to you you should not become a bond holder. The HPB works best by putting in your stake and just leaving it for you and your family to enjoy, hopefully in perpetuity if all goes to plan. I've never regretted it, but I was 33 when I put my money in and I'm 64 now, so I have had my money's worth.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 21st Jun 18, 6:38 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    fred246
    • 21st Jun 18, 6:38 PM
    • 21st Jun 18, 6:38 PM
    I looked at it a few years ago. I would have invested a large amount for free access to holiday property. However, the user charge for ? cleaning was similar to what I would have expected to rent a place. The combination of large initial investment plus large user charge meant it wasn't for me. It seemed the best idea was to keep the money and just rent from a larger pool of rental properties rather than the limited number owned by HPB.
    Last edited by fred246; 21-06-2018 at 6:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,021Posts Today

6,405Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin