Switching at the end of a fixed contract

mnbvcxz
mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I'm on Opus energy, a business contract oddly, I am ending a 12 month fixed contract and have to give notice by about the 20th of october that I'm leaving by the end of the contract 20th november.

Where I'm struggling is firms I am looking to switch to don't seem to let you specify a start date. Rather they just say you switch in vaguely three weeks after signing up and if its in the last 49 days of your contract you leave penalty free?

So am I missing something. What do people usually do. Does everyone just switch and abandon the last few weeks of their 12 month contract? I wonder if I'm going to be penalty free but be left with the contracted standing charge for the last few weeks.

Ideally I'd like to coordinate it so my new supplier took over at the end of my existing contract. But I can't seem to figure out how to do that?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think you can specify a date.
    It happens when they sort it lol.

What you do depends whether the new rate is better or worse.
    And if you don't want to miss the deal on offer
  • Are you trying to switch a business supply or a domestic one. the 21 day switch is usually for domestic contracts. Its usually a 6 week process for business gas or dual fuel, 4 weeks for business electricity contracts
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Are you trying to switch a business supply or a domestic one. the 21 day switch is usually for domestic contracts. Its usually a 6 week process for business gas or dual fuel, 4 weeks for business electricity contracts

Hmm that's interesting thank-you.

Its actually our garden shed. Electricity only. A broker scheme thing found the cheapest tarrif was a business one last year so that's what we went with. Was about 12p a kw and 14.5p standing charge . We only use about 700kw a year so its about £120.

We are thinking of moving to terribly reviewed Scottish powers powerup service where you buy electricity in advance for 16.5p/kw with no standing charge so should work out about the same. This would be a domestic tarrif.

There is no real reason why our shed should be domestic or business, it was just what was cheapest. Possibly it stores some business equipment but mainly lawnmower and stuff.

I guess I will just have to phone up opus in the morning and see if they can shed any light on the best way to leave...
  • Hi - I work for Opus and I'm happy to help answer this question.

While we'd obviously like to keep you as our customer, we understand that sometimes people want to move elsewhere. In such cases, I'd recommend that you contact the new supplier as early as possible. They will ask you for the end date of your existing contract, and when they send the switch request to us, I believe they can specify that date as the start date.

Either way, we won't transfer your supply over to the new supplier until your contract with us has ended. Switching times for business accounts are generally quicker than for domestic supplies. If you can give a couple of weeks notice to the new supplier, and don't have any outstanding debts with us, we should be able to coordinate the switch on or very near your contract end date. I hope that helps. If not, please give us a ring or drop us a note on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks!
  • Thanks all, we're in touch with OPUS Energy and have started them a dedicated review thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5725163
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories