Lies from Openreach

Options
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/downloads/sffa_exchange_lists/accepting_orders.pdf - is one big lie
It has everywhere in the country that is Accepting Fibre orders - "NOW"
I know of several places on the list - that are not even "planned for fibre" - let alone "wired up" yet
So how are they "accepting orders" ?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Openreach don't take orders directly. You put your order with your ISP who then place it with Openreach.

But anyway all "accepting orders" means is that the ISPs can offer it in your area to that exchange. There are still pockets that may be in a enabled area but doesn't mean they can get fibre.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its one thing 'accepting orders' for a home next door to the exchange, but many people don't have access to fibre because they are a few miles from the exchange. You can get regularly get BT fibre for £20 a month, but some of those not able to get BT fibre broadband get offered it by someone like gigclear for £45/month, hardly fair..
    If you have gigaclear available do the government count that as being covered?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have 76Mb fibre already - but my dad (who lives 5 miles down the road) - his exchange is not yet tibre enabled - yet according to this site - they are accepting fibre orders !!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most exchanges (nearly all?) now are 'fibre enabled'.

However, off of each exchange there are several cabinets which feed the local communities.

You need to put your phone number/address into something like BT's checker at

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

to see if your actual cabinet has been 'fibre enabled'
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 5:18AM
    Options
    a good majority of exchanges are now Fibre enabled, there's just over 5400 exchanges in the uk with nearly 4700 capable of Fiber connections, with those that aren't currently connected being mainly in very remote or low populated areas, mainly areas in Scotland and wales, but larger towns and cities in these areas will still have fibre.

along with that a lot of exchanges will only be be supplying FTTC or FTTP to areas close to the exchange, like the cabinets and businesses within easy reach around towns and along main routes to other towns and villages, simply because when you get a mile or so away from an FTTC cabinet, speeds drop off a cliff and you'll likely get better speeds over a normal ADSL connection.

I have no doubt the list is accurate, but just because an exchange is fibre enabled doesn't mean every cabinet running from that exchange will be fibre enabled, and even if it is and is 'accepting orders' it doesn't mean every property wired up to it will be able to get fibre

this is a decent map to see the spread of FTTC and FTTP access, you'll see fibre speeds cover quite a small distance around most exchanges.

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=50.632135384058365&lng=-3.5123971814613264&zoom=9&type=terrain&exchanges&tbb-fibre-speeds
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    a good majority of exchanges are now Fibre enabled, there's just over 5400 exchanges in the uk with nearly 4700 capable of Fiber connections, with those that aren't currently connected being mainly in very remote or low populated areas, mainly areas in Scotland and wales, but larger towns and cities in these areas will still have fibre.

along with that a lot of exchanges will only be be supplying FTTC or FTTP to areas close to the exchange, like the cabinets and businesses within easy reach around towns and along main routes to other towns and villages, simply because when you get a mile or so away from an FTTC cabinet, speeds drop off a cliff and you'll likely get better speeds over a normal ADSL connection.

I have no doubt the list is accurate, but just because an exchange is fibre enabled doesn't mean every cabinet running from that exchange will be fibre enabled, and even if it is and is 'accepting orders' it doesn't mean every property wired up to it will be able to get fibre

this is a decent map to see the spread of FTTC and FTTP access, you'll see fibre speeds cover quite a small distance around most exchanges.

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=50.632135384058365&lng=-3.5123971814613264&zoom=9&type=terrain&exchanges&tbb-fibre-speeds
    I, myself am 100 yards from the cabinet and get a constant 70Mbps + on my line
    My dad, who lives in a nearby town (5 miles away) is only able to get ADSL - Fibre will be enabled in Decemeber (according to Openreach)
    But this doesn't explain why the link on my first post - tells me that they are accepting orders for fibre on his line, already - when they are not !!
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    My dad, who lives in a nearby town (5 miles away) is only able to get ADSL - Fibre will be enabled in Decemeber (according to Openreach)
    But this doesn't explain why the link on my first post - tells me that they are accepting orders for fibre on his line, already - when they are not !!

The link in your first post is of exchanges that are 'fibre enabled' it doesn't say every cab on those exchanges are enabled, its perfectly OK to say an exchange is enabled when every cabinet on that exchange isn't offering FTTC, after all some cabinets will never be commercially viable, do you recon that even if only 1 cab in an entire exchange area isn't able to offer FTTC then they shouldn't declare that exchange as enabled ?
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 6:50PM
    Options

your link just shows what exchanges are enabled for fibre, an exchange could easily be servicing 50+ cabinets which is about 15,000 homes if each cabinet is at full capacity, not every cabinet that runs off that exchange will have been upgraded, even in london there are some cabinets that haven't yet been upgraded, despite every exchange being fibre capable.

the exchange may be fiber enabled, thus is accepting fibre orders from some cabinets or even just FTTP, but not all the cabinets will go 'live' for fibre at the same time, some won't even be upgraded to be able to take fibre orders because the length of the lines after the cabinet to your homes are too long, or there isn't enough customers at a particular cabinet to warrant the thousands it costs to supply fibre to that cabinet.

that doesn't make the data false or scammy, it just means the roll out is still happening in your area.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2017 at 4:25PM
    Options
    If you have the offer of gigaclear or similar, is your area then forgotten about as far as BT/Government are concerned?
    Anyone can get super fast broadband if they have deep enough pockets using a satellite, but hardly fair.
    Search hp9 2rw on the think broadband link above, don't even get 2mb and its hardly the Outer Hebrides..
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Replace December with October and we've had the same promise for at least two years.

We are a single isolated estate where all around, including estate houses facing outwards ,have fibre. The exchange has been enabled for a long time and is only 2 miles away at most.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure