SKY contract advice required please.

Options
pocketslint
pocketslint Posts: 91 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 2 October 2017 at 12:50PM in Broadband & internet access
I took up a deal with Sky for Line and BB about 18 months ago. Unfortunately, due to ill health, I have been unable to take advantage of any services provided by Sky. I am now in a position to realise such services, and as such, I contacted Sky as I wasn't getting any signal. It now transpires that I have never been properly connected from the outset, ie I do not have a working line within my house.

I am sorry to upset the general ethos of the site, but please remember that I did cite ill health and we will leave it at that.

Now my main issue requiring the in depth level of expertise I am accustomed to on MSE. While i accept my responsibility in the matter, is there any expectation that Sky should have realised I had an issue to begin with? or is that stretching their responsibilities just too far?

In short, should I just accept the loss and move on, either with Sky or another company (I haven't researched 'value for money' as yet) or am I in any position to claim back payment for a service I never had any chance of receiving without realising and informing Sky at the outset?

I do feel morally responsible, but it does seem to be a tad much on some level.

Any help will be duly appreciated as always, with thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Very doubtful, until you let Sky know there was a problem it's very likely they'd have never had a clue. I have these conversations at work occasionally (not Sky) where the customer says 'but you can see that I've not been watching the channel for x number of years, can I have my money back?', the answers always 'no, we cant tell if you've been watching the channel as not even Sky can say that'.

Morals don't come into it from either side I'm afraid.
  • pocketslint
    Options
    Thanks for that 'inside' slant on it Colin_Maybe, and it is really where I am myself. I am thinking more on the lines of appealing to their better nature, probably by letter, rather than just cancel the said contract and walk away. I can't even take advantage of their current offer to Newbies as I suppose I am currently considered to be an 'existing customer'.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I see it, you have nothing to loose by writing a 'very nice' letter to Sky explaining your circumstances.

You never know, there may be some sympathetic customer service people at Sky, especially if you say that you would like to stay with them.
  • pocketslint
    Options
    Thanks Mister G, that is really my thinking, it can certainly do no harm. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience of a similar situation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Mister G, that is really my thinking, it can certainly do no harm. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience of a similar situation.

Be aware that it took them 4 weeks to phone me after I wrote to them concerning a different matter, of course the call was missed and I eventually received a letter back saying they'd noticed I'd been back in touch since so they'd closed the open ticket down.

You could certainly use everything you've written here to try and get a good discount but then everybody should do that.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As above there is nothing to lose by having a polite conversation or sending a letter, provided that you don't accuse them of anything.
    They have millions of customers so cannot constantly monitor all accounts and if your broadband constantly cuts out or drops to an unusable speed ,they don't know until you tell them, so they are able to run checks to help locate the problem's source.
  • Bronvahl
    Bronvahl Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would call Sky, make sure you use the 0800 number as calls can take hours.

Do not waste your time on Webchat or foreign call centres,, ask for the WinBack team, if they ask why say it is because you are leaving. DO NOT let them waste your time by trying to solve your problem, they will take a load on info and DO NOTHING, if they do not put you through ask for their supervisor and complain about them.

When you get through to the WinBack team explain your situation, tell them it has left a bitter taste in your mouth and you would now like to leave. They have two options, one is their own set of offers that only that team has, the other is to them to go to CRS team who sit opposite them and get access to discounts for when they have not delivered what they said they would.

Sky do monitor your system, you are required to connect it etc but I suspect the onus is on you to make sure it works.
  • pocketslint
    Options
    Thanks Bronvahl, that is a definite course of action and I will follow your advice, it's what i was looking for really, that MSE voice of experience that helps us all on this site. My thanks also to everyone else for your input, i appreciate you taking the time and effort to help another member. I will of course let you all know how I get on. The spread of knowledge is what we are all about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure