Gift in a Jar ideas

Options
Quackers
Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
I stumbled on this idea whilst browsing the internet for pickled onion recipes of all things :rotfl: :rotfl:
So,
Recipe to put in the jar would be:

Cookies in a Jar Project
giftjr1.gif

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Jar Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • * chocolate chips
Filling the Jar:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Layer the ingredients in a quart size canning jar in the order listed. I used a small funnel and it worked pretty good for most of the ingredients! Use enough chocolate chips so the jar is full to the top. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pack down all indredients, especially the brown sugar![/FONT]

Then you'd make a pretty label with a nice pic & instrucions like:

[SIZE=-1]Chocolate Chip Cookies [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 cup butter or margarine softened[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 egg, slightly beaten[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 tsp. vanilla[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Preheat oven to 375 degrees. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thoroughly blend together the butter or margarine, the egg, and the vanilla. Empty jar of cookie mix into the butter mixture. Mix until completely blended. Drop teaspoons full of batter about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes[/SIZE][SIZE=-1], or until lightly browned[/SIZE]

Or if you were clever you could take a pic of the cookies if you've made them before (or use one from T'internet)

Then you could decorate the jar with a ribbon & voila, a cute easy gift. I think this would be a good gift for that child who has everything as it would be a lot easier to make as the main mix is done and just wet ingredients need to be added. I suppose adding smarties to make smarties cookies would make it more colourful too.

This could also be easily adapted for soup mixes/brownie mixes/cake mixes etc.

I even found a cute hot choc one that I'm going to get my girls making as gifts for everyone. This is the hot choc one:

Make this fun and simple gift idea - Hot Cocoa recipes in a jar!

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Materials:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]
  • Baby Food Jar
  • Hot Cocoa Mix
  • Miniature marshmallows
  • Hershey Kiss Candy
  • Small Candy Cane
  • 4-inch or Larger Fabric Scrap
  • Ribbon
  • Glue
[/FONT]
katcocoath.jpg
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Instructions:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Clean the baby food jar and make sure it is completely dry. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Put a one cup serving of the hot cocoa mix into the jar. Fill to the top with the miniature marshmallows. Put the cover on the jar tightly. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Cut the fabric into a 4-inch circle. Cut a piece of ribbon about 12 inches long. Set the fabric circle centered on top of the jar lid. Tie the ribbon around the fabric along the edge of the lid. Tie a bow in the ribbon. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Glue the hearshey kiss to the top, center of the lid. Glue the small candy cane onto the side of the jar. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Print out these directions and include them with your gift: candycanetag.gif

[/FONT]
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...

Comments

• thanksalot
    thanksalot Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    If you are lazy, you could just empty a ready-made cake mix from the shop.
    Manners make the man...:D
  • Quackers
    Options
    thanksalot wrote: »
    If you are lazy, you could just empty a ready-made cake mix from the shop.

But then you wouldn't get the pretty layered look :confused:
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This site has some great 'in a jar' recipes http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/index.htm

some of the recipes have jar labels that you can print off too
  • Quackers
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    This site has some great 'in a jar' recipes http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/index.htm

some of the recipes have jar labels that you can print off too

OMG - I'm going to be the Christmas Jar Queen laughing-smiley-014.gif

Some good tips here too:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Tips-for-Cookie-and-Brownie-Mix-In-a-Jar/Detail.aspx
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I put these on the OS hampers thread, but it fits here too.

I used the OS Weetabix Brownie recipe last year - the jar is a 0.5L kilner, I worked out that to get the chocolate to fit too, you'd need a 0.6L jar (which you can get as jam jars, but not kilners)

Browniejar.jpg
    browniejarwrapped.jpg

The recipe is -

4 crushed Weetabix/equivalent of bran flakes (about 3.5 oz)
    4oz caster sugar
    4oz self raising flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder (or drinking chocolate for a milder taste)
    100g chocolate drops/chopped chocolate

Mix the above ingredients together

Then add;
    4oz of melted butter and
    1 egg
    and mix well.

Line an 8” baking tin, leaving an overhang of paper around the edge to aid removal after baking.

Place mixture in the tin, and spread it to cover the entire base.

Bake for 15 minutes at gas mark 4, 180 C.

Once out of the oven, let it stand for about 5-10 minutes, then lift out the brownie and cut into squares. Makes 16
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Quackers
    Options
    I put these on the OS hampers thread, but it fits here too.

I saw that but I'm ever so ever so ever so ever so glad you put the recipe up sport-smiley-001.gifaction-smiley-033.gif
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ooh, I'm going to try this - I have some of those mini weetabix with chocolate chips. Daughter loved them a month or so back but now she thinks they're 'rank' - seems to be her favourite word at the moment :o
    And I bought chocolate today too:T so i have all the ingredients in the cupboard.
  • thanksalot
    Options
    Quackers wrote: »
    But then you wouldn't get the pretty layered look :confused:
    You could decorate the jar?
    Manners make the man...:D
  • saverspud
    Options
    Quackers wrote: »
    OMG - I'm going to be the Christmas Jar Queen

Some good tips here too:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Tips-for-Cookie-and-Brownie-Mix-In-a-Jar/Detail.aspx

I know it's juvenile, I know that I should be ashamed, but I went to this page and fell about laughing at the phrase 'tart tamper'

:rotfl:

Great link though, thanks!
  • Tuttifruitty_Theresa
    Options
    I'm doing pickles etc for my uncle and for a joke pressie i'm also doing this http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1621

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport