BT Wholesale charge?

Hi all

I've just called BT to find out how to give notice as my BT Infinity 1 package has just expired and they want to charge me something like £47.99 per month going forward.

They didn't offer anything other than the standard offer price of £36.99 so I explained I was looking to cancel as Virgin Media offer a £27.00 package that would suit us.

Then BT started talking about a £31.00 "wholesale charge" - I couldn't really get a straight answer as to what this was I was told it was for "removing equipment from the exchange".

This seems ludicrous and almost a penalty for leaving? Can they do this?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 10:10PM
    Yes they can do it, it is a legitimate charge. It is a "cease charge" for cancelling the service, as they stated, for disconnecting your line from the exchange. If you migrate your service to another provider there will generally be no charge but by moving to Virgin you will no longer be using the BT equipment and it has to be disconnected. Maybe Virgin will pay the charge.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can they do what? Nobody said they were charging you anything for leaving, I guess you will have to try one of the other providers to see how / if they differ, when I was with Virgin the price was increasing twice a year, October and February, I find with BB there is a headline price but on average the user will pay around £30pm irrespective of who they go with.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Move to Vodafone. It's cheaper and cease charge unlikely to apply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business