Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 15th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 19Thanks
    michaelgordon
    Heat Logs
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    Heat Logs 15th Sep 17 at 3:25 PM
    Hi everyone

So the weather is on the change and ive already got my supply of logs in but looking at supplementing with some heat logs.

I have tried a few over the last couple of years but looking to see if there are any I have missed.

I have tried Fuel Express sold in Tesco pack of 12 burnt well, Hotties, were good but more expensive than the fuel express and didn't seem to get more heat. Aldi UK Heatlogs, didn't like these just expanded and went to nothing & finally Verdo which were good burnt well and cheaper than hotties & fuel express.

Any other recommendations worth considering?
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 3,893 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    Verdo's from Home Bargains work for me
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    yes i agree best of the bunch for me just wondered if anything new or different. if not will go back for them
    • Greenfires
    • By Greenfires 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Greenfires
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    The Fuel Express briquettes are made by the same company that make Hotties. Yes they're cheaper, but you don't get more for your money than you do with Hotties. The 12 pack briquettes are smaller and the packs are lighter too, so you're getting less actual material for starters. I sold hundreds of tonnes of Hotties when I was dealing with them - almost every single customer came back year after year - and we also used them ourselves at home. In our experience, the only things we ever found that were better were the old Treenergy briquettes - and we only started selling Hotties when Treenergy packed up.

My advice - even if you don't go for Hotties - would be to choose an extruded briquette. Almost all the pressed ones do the swelling up and falling to bits routine, and once the flames are done the party's pretty much over. Hotties form proper embers that will keep putting the heat out for ages after the flames have died down.
    • smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 932 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    Verdo's from Home Bargains work for me
    Originally posted by matelodave
    And me. Easy to break in half/small bits too.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    I got half a pallet from here http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/briquettes and they were very good.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    • 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    hmm may have a look at the white horse eco blaze.

Problem I have with hotties is I burnt roughly the same amount as every other briquette so it proved quite expensive, they were good but not great to justify the extra expense
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    hmm may have a look at the white horse eco blaze.

Problem I have with hotties is I burnt roughly the same amount as every other briquette so it proved quite expensive, they were good but not great to justify the extra expense
    Originally posted by michaelgordon
    If you have a garage with space the delivery drivers seem quite happy to push a pallet load into it for you.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Pagan98
    • By Pagan98 27th Dec 17, 1:21 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Pagan98
    • 27th Dec 17, 1:21 AM
    • 27th Dec 17, 1:21 AM
    We prefer Blazers heat logs to the Verdo ones. £3.99 a bag from B&M, although they’ve been thin on the ground this year. Last year HomeBargains stocked them too.
    • Tincancat
    • By Tincancat 24th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tincancat
    Lidl sell Fuel Express Heat Logs at less than £3 for a pack of 12
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 26th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    I got some of them, burn very good.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 26th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    savemoney
    I have bene using verdologs for 2 years now I find them the best yet. I tried one Aldi use to sell and some other made from aspen wood, and Verdo ones leave the least ash and give off more heat. I buy a pallet load in Summer when they a little cheaper around £20 less and store them in my garage. A full pallet lasts over Mid Autumn to later winter and more. One packets of six I can get a night use out of but if I have it on most of teh day I need two packs. I use to get them in Home bargains but dont seem to stock them now maybe its to do with recent issue Verdo had
    • Andrea15
    • By Andrea15 31st Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Andrea15
    Has anyone tried the new "Flamers Wood Log (6 Pack)" from Home Bargains? Still no trace of the Verdo ones, so we need to find an alternative.
    Also, I didn't know about the LIDL option. Will look at that too (but I cannot find it )

UPDATE:
    Not available at my lidl
    Last edited by Andrea15; 31-01-2018 at 9:30 PM.
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 1st Feb 18, 5:12 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    i think the lidl fuel express are the same as what Tesco are selling only re branded as they used to sell the fuel express and they look the same.

Not tried the Flamers but im running low on fuel, have burnt so much more this year than last so need a few packs. Might give them a try.
    • Skulls
    • By Skulls 3rd Feb 18, 5:12 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    Skulls
    I've tried the Flammers this week. They burn well BUT, leave a LOT of ash behind. I've been burning the Lidl heatlogs since November and only had to empty fire twice. After burning Blazzers for 2 nights the fire needs emptying.
    • Simole
    • By Simole 9th Nov 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simole
    Yeah. Just tried them. Horrible things. Some sticky resin or sap started running down the stove pipe. First time I’d used them and first time this had happened. Don’t bother with them.
    • Simole
    • By Simole 9th Nov 18, 11:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simole
    [QUOTE=Simole;75029448]Yeah. Just tried them. Must need more air than normal wood as they produced creosote.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

496Posts Today

5,454Users online

Martin's Twitter