IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

disabled parking bay

Options

Comments

• TINKERBELL20
    Options
    Hi

Have sent appeal via parking companies website. As it will in all probability be rejected I will be looking for your help again. Thank you very much for your support
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    we can assure you that it will be rejected

there isnt much help available after that , its a stalemate until any future court case (with email or letter tennis in between) - the PPC has 6 years to try an MCOL
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Have sent appeal via parking companies website. As it will in all probability be rejected I will be looking for your help again. Thank you very much for your support

There will be no next steps, sit tight when you get the rejection letter. No big deal. Come back in the end of you get an actual court claim because 99% of people here (who take full forum advice through the claim defence process) win.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • TINKERBELL20
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Coupon Mad, that makes me feel so much better that I have someone who will help and advise me.
  • TINKERBELL20
    Options
    Hi

As anticipated my appeal was rejected by Excel Parking.

Is my defence, as keeper, when it comes to court the fact that the bays weren't marked as disabled i,e no chevrons at side,therefore not correct size, no disabled wheelchair symbol and no blue badge only signs beside bay? I don't know how a disabled driver would even know this was supposed to be a disabled space.

Many thanks again
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Wait and see if you get to a court claim against you.

Until then ignore all debt collectors who contact you.

Keep your photos safe. They have 6 years to take this to court
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Hi

Is my defence, as keeper, when it comes to court the fact that the bays weren't marked as disabled i,e no chevrons at side,therefore not correct size, no disabled wheelchair symbol and no blue badge only signs beside bay? I don't know how a disabled driver would even know this was supposed to be a disabled space.

Sounds like a good basis for a defence.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks again

You seem very hung-up on it being a poorly marked disabled space. Which actually means very little in the murky world of private parking.

Your Blue Badge and disabled space markings are only legally valid on-road and in legit/council-regulated car parks (check the handbook that came with it or online with the issuing authority). In private parking, its the Equality Act that applies and that has a much broader brush when it comes to accessible parking but PPCs are notoriously bad at taking the Act into account - Frankly they don't care about anything other than getting money out of you.

However, this could be a good reason to go back to the landowner/whoever the car park served as an argument for them to have it cancelled as they have joint responsibility with the PPC for seeing the Act is upheld and would be jointly liable with the PPC in any equalities action.
  • TINKERBELL20
    Options
    Hi Pogofish

I am probably" hung up" on it because I would never use a disabled space or other designated bay such as parent and child. I have never had a parking ticket or anything else in my 45 years of driving so I am quite worried about this.

I really appreciate all the help and advice from everyone.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I'd use a parent and child space because they are a gimmick and I despise parents who think they have a *right* to a special bay (she says, mother of four). P&C bays are nothing, unlike properly marked disabled bays.

And yours wasn't one and nor is this a parking fine, so you still haven't had one. It's a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure