Anyone care to decide what they think of this investment fund?

Legal and General "Primary fund" was recommended to me by Nationwide BS. I can't find any independent opinions about it online. Do any of MSE forum users fancy having a peek & proffering an opinion?

I can't post links, but it's top link if you google "nationwide fund range primary legal and general"

I would be switching into this from a more conventional type of investment wrapper, which Nationwide calls a "Portfolio investment". About £25k total.

NWide says the Primary fund has advantage of more indexed management, lower management charges and "simplicity" because it's just one line summary to compare old & new balance. The Primary Fund is still spread across a range of risk levels/asset classes. I think only 8 actual fund choices to achieve that spread, though. I've had good experiences with L&G before.

It suits me to keep using Nationwide as fin. advisor, so only question is whether I want to go to the L&G Primary Fund. I want a relatively hands-off approach with this investment pot, review it every 4-6 yrs maybe. I'm looking for long-term growth but not saving for anything specific.

Thanks to anyone who feels curious enough to have a look at the link & give an opinion!
Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS

Comments

• Goverment bonds are good long term investments
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You wouldn't find many independent opinions online because it's not a solution anyone would use if they were acting independently (i.e. either an IFA or a DIY investor). Nationwide use it because they are tied to selling L&G's products.

L&G's funds are perfectly fine for what they are. But you could almost certainly get independent financial advice which would select the best solution from the whole of the market, for the same or less than what you are paying Nationwide. However, you said you prefer to keep using them so you pays your money and takes your choice.
    Goverment bonds are good long term investments

No idea what this has to do with the OP's post, but with long-term gilts yielding 1.5%pa and a high possibility of capital loss when interest rates rise, no they aren't.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    AFAICS its the L&G range so which one would you invest in? There are 8 different funds.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    egal and General "Primary fund" was recommended to me by Nationwide BS. I can't find any independent opinions about it online. Do any of MSE forum users fancy having a peek & proffering an opinion?

Nationwide retail L&G products and investments They are tied agents. So, nothing independent about that. They also tend to retail the products at a higher cost than the open market/IFA version or cut down the product. For example, the L&G range via Natonwide used the Cofunds software but with most of the features and fund selection reduced to just show L&G funds.
    . I've had good experiences with L&G before.

Have you have experiences with other investment companies to be able to compare or have you just used L&G via Nationwide.
    It suits me to keep using Nationwide as fin. advisor,

The general rule of thumb on this site is that you either DIY or if you need advice, you should use an IFA. Not a tied sales force of an insurance company.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • As far as return is concerned I'd have no problem using L&G Index Trackers in a portfolio. The issue is the total fees you'll be paying by buying L&G funds through Nationwide. Ask what the fees will be and then compare them to what you would be charged on one of the low cost platforms. Educate yourself so you avoid paying more than you need to a platform or a financial adviser for simple investing.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • yeah, I've talked to financial advisors not Nationwide. And have invested in other funds over the years (in multiple countries, via multiple gatekeepers). I haven't been any more confident about what the other advisors suggested, to be honest, I completely understand that Nationwide offers simply what it offers. To give credit, Nationwide are better at monitoring this investment pot than I have been.

I may try REDDIT to ask my questions or other questions like it. I thought I might get No Replies at all so thanks for at least trying to answer.
  • Do you have any idea of the fees you'll be paying or the asset allocation that is appropriate for your situation.

You say you've bought funds before. How would the L&G investment fit in with those, where are they, what are they and what are you paying. A one time visit to an IFA might be appropriate for you to do some spring cleaning and consolidating of your finances, but I'd rather you continue to ask questions, educate yourself and DIY.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    To give credit, Nationwide are better at monitoring this investment pot than I have been.

Nationwide do not monitor it. Nationwide have nothing to do with it apart from selling it to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • zebra_2
    zebra_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's not true, DunstonH. I originally got this fund in 2012 & Nationwide have contacted me twice about it since to let me know things about the portfolio distribution, the 2nd time specifically about poor performance issues (so they do monitor).

Boston: There are a few management fee options I could choose from, I don't want to say what I'm getting for how much I pay b/c MSErs won't like it (!) but it's mine to pay, not yours.

Appropriate to my situation Q: NWide have done repeat long consultations about risk levels and financial planning (covers things like debt, pensions, retirement, other investments, income, future spending plans etc.). So if I couldn't think thru all that myself, they try to prompt me to.

I'm not a good one for DIY on so many confusing investment products: MEH. I spent ages trying to understand ETFs once -- what a waste of time. Barclays were clueless when I asked. My husband does a lot of stock buying which is enough in one family. We made a good profit on BP shares after Deep Horizon, mind, that was my astute call.
  • dunstonh
    That's not true, DunstonH.

Yes it is true.
    I originally got this fund in 2012 & Nationwide have contacted me twice about it since to let me know things about the portfolio distribution, the 2nd time specifically about poor performance issues (so they do monitor).

Because the sales rep wants to get you to top it up. This is the model the banks and building societies used. The person you see has absolutely no impact on it at all. They will contact you and then SPIN whatever the situation is. Nationwide never employed any discretionary investment managers and they had no permissions to recommend changes on the basis of performance. We have an ex Nationwide adviser in our office. So, we know a lot about their methods. And unsurprisingly, they were very similar to the banks. It was a transactional service where existing customers would get periodic meetings because, statistically, its a good way to get top ups or extra business.
    Boston: There are a few management fee options I could choose from, I don't want to say what I'm getting for how much I pay b/c MSErs won't like it (!) but it's mine to pay, not yours.

You are at the wrong website then. Whilst, this site does sometimes go over the top in prioritising money saving at the expense of quality, this is not one of them. You are neither getting quality or value for money.

I mentioned that the Nationwide L&G funds used the Cofunds software. The Nationwide charge for pre 2013 customers was 0.31% if the Primary investment service was selected (that is the cut down version) and 0.39% for the full fund range. Compare that to the actual Cofunds platform which was 0.29%. Cofunds also make available all L&G funds on a superclean basis. Not Nationwide who used a more expensive share class with the (N) tag at the end. So, in your case, you were paying more for less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure