Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 6 September 2017 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    This 'useful' news will be undoubtedly be stated somewhere in the small print of Ryanair's T's&C's and online when booking if folks could be bothered to read them.

As I say, why is anyone whingeing at this? They're a private company operating under their own business model. I'm a MSE reader myself, but even I understand that private businesses make their own decisions, sometimes believe it or not, after scrutinising their OWN customers feedback. That may be difficult to comprehend, but there it is. I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, I'm just a realist. If customers aren't happy, then make another choice, that's all I'm saying!
    Ryanair have changed their baggage policy. That is useful news to travellers. We don't need to be told "they're a private business they can do what they want" (duh really?) every time we discuss a change in their policy. Nobody is arguing they're not entitled to make this change, so who exactly are you arguing with, other than a strawman?

MSE are informing us. We are discussing it. Not starting a revolution to try to get them to reverse their decision. Someone has already said they won't use Ryanair anymore, just like you suggested.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Already recently I have noticed that RyanAir was asking passengers towards the end of boarding queue to put their hand luggage in cargo area.

Now they have extended this operation for all (except priority) passengers.

The "cabin luggage" is still free to be checked in to hold at the boarding time.

So, the disadvantage for passengers:

1. You won't have access to your cabin baggage while in flight (2-3 hours)
    2. You have to wait in luggage reclaim area to get you bags.

There is no monetary cost unless you insist to take your hand baggage with you (the laptop bag, ladies handbag type things are still free to carry to cabin).
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Ryanair have changed their baggage policy. That is useful news to travellers. We don't need to be told "they're a private business they can do what they want" (duh really?) every time we discuss a change in their policy. Nobody is is arguing they're not entitled to make this change, so who exactly are you arguing with, other than a strawman?

MSE are informing us. We are discussing it. Not starting a revolution to try to get them to reverse their decision. Someone has already said they won't use Ryanair anymore, just like you suggested.

Believe it or not, I'm not adverse to serious proper discussion. However, had MSE Staff linked to Ryanair's link as in the one provided by richardw in the first instance, it might have come across as a slightly less sensationalist headline.

I think you probably know more than I do, that a simple 'story' often just turns out to be a whingefest for everything else customers might not like about the Company. After all, it didn't take long to sideline the conversation into the seating policy did it?

Yes, discuss the 'story' but at least read the small print before getting too upset.

Nuff said said the Strawman! ;)
  • zagfles
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    Already recently I have noticed that RyanAir was asking passengers towards the end of boarding queue to put their hand luggage in cargo area.

The "cabin luggage" is still free to be checked in to hold at the boarding time.

There is no monetary cost unless you insist to take your hand baggage with you (the laptop bag, ladies handbag type things are still free to carry to cabin).
    I suspect they think it'll increase the numbers of priority boarders by having a policy stating you will have your wheely bag taken off you if you don't choose priority boarding, rather than might as previously.

My guess is that in reality not much will change, they'll still rather have bags in the cabin than in the hold as hold baggage increases turnaround times and is extra work for ground staff. So they'll probably still let some non-priority boarders on with wheely bags like now.
  • honeststeveo
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »

3. The cabin bag which you take good care of will be bashed around once you let it out of your sight and crushed under huge suitcases. Consequently it will only last a few flights and you'll be out of pocket to replace it much sooner.

4. Every once in a while the airlines will loose your bags for you complete will all your valuables, laptop ipads etc.

There is a monetary cost. It's just not immediate.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect they think it'll increase the numbers of priority boarders by having a policy stating you will have your wheely bag taken off you if you don't choose priority boarding, rather than might as previously.
    Given it is £5 for priority boarding and £25 for a checked bag, I suspect so too.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3. The cabin bag which you take good care of will be bashed around once you let it out of your sight and crushed under huge suitcases. Consequently it will only last a few flights and you'll be out of pocket to replace it much sooner.

4. Every once in a while the airlines will loose your bags for you complete will all your valuables, laptop ipads etc.

LOL, some people really will bend over backwards to put a negative spin on anything. My usual carry-on bag has doubled as checked luggage dozens of times and is still in perfectly good condition. And you don't put things like laptops and ipads in a bag that is going in hold so that's also non-issue. In general, I suspect the lost bag risk is very small for bags that are checked at the gate.
  • BorisThomson
    Options

I only ever travel with a cabin size bag, but on long haul I will check it in. It's seven years old and still in excellent condition! If you're buying the type of bag that only lasts a few flights then your cheap bag is a false economy.
  • flavione74
    Options
    "Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?
    Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin."

They always mention two pieces of cabin baggage.
    But what happens if a person has only one wheelie bag?
    I think he would be allowed to bring the bag on board, provided he's within the first 90 people in queue. Or not?
  • zagfles
    Options
    flavione74 wrote: »
    "Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?
    Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin."

They always mention two pieces of cabin baggage.
    But what happens if a person has only one wheelie bag?
    I think he would be allowed to bring the bag on board, provided he's within the first 90 people in queue. Or not?
    Not, by the looks of the Ryanair press release.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure