International mobile data charges

Aminthule
Aminthule Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 27 August 2017 at 1:34PM in Mobiles
I've just returned from France where my partner and I used our mobile phones to access emails, internet sites etc. We were both mindful of data download limits etc..... We returned to the UK on the Brittany Ferries link between Roscoff and Plymouth. On reaching our cabin we found we had no service on our mobile phones........no worries, it was a night crossing and so we'd be asleep. Shortly after departing Roscoff we noticed we'd picked up a new network and presumed correctly that it was the ship's network. No 3G was indicated and as we couldn't access the internet and we were going to sleep we thought nothing more of it. When we awoke early the next morning we both noticed that we had received messages stating that we'd incurred tens of pounds worth of data charges, which alarmed us. The following day we both rang our provider, 3, querying why we'd incurred charges as we'd both just started new billing periods and both could see we'd not exceeded our data download limits (in any case mine is unlimited). The 3 personnel we both spoke to had to go and check what had caused the charges as they were surprised. It turns out that when on a ferry crossing and once out of range of land based mobile networks we were connected to the ship's network and because we were in international waters the rules regarding data roaming in Europe no longer apply. Consequently all receiving of SMS texts and presumably automatic downloading of emails etc. and any other polling that the phones were doing, uses the ships connection to a maritime network and data charges are immediately incurred. We both complained to 3 that this is not made obvious by them, even if it is buried in the fine print of their contracts, nor do they give any advice on this if you ring them about international data roaming. As a result of our protestations they have agreed to refund all the charges that we incurred. The lesson is, turn off your phone when onboard ferries between countries where you not unreasonably presume international data roaming rules to apply i.e. to be free of charge.:mad:

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Most of us know that already.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    While there remain people who are unaware of this, it bears repeating.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    The ferry website describes this clearly, explains how to turn off mobile data and so on, and also says you could use their wifi free of charge.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/ships-and-ports/will-my-mobile-phone-work-on-board-the-ferry
  • Thanks for your positive response Ian. I'm sorry that I've obviously bored some people by reporting something they already know. HopefulIy some people were as ignorant as I and my post was worthwhile, however I probably won't bother to post on this site in future. :mad:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Aminthule wrote: »
    Thanks for your positive response Ian. I'm sorry that I've obviously bored some people by reporting something they already know. HopefulIy some people were as ignorant as I and my post was worthwhile, however I probably won't bother to post on this site in future. :mad:

Its not that you have bored people.

Should have done research before hand bit its happened.
  • Moss5
    Moss5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    You have no knowledge of what 'most of us' know.
    Do not presume that you represent others.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Moss5 wrote: »
    You have no knowledge of what 'most of us' know.
    Do not presume that you represent others.

Sorry, if you want an argument it's room 12a, this is room 12.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Sorry, Jon
    I've been on here for several years and before that, I used to frequent uktm (from the days when you worked for Orange) and I've *never* heard of this before.

NB - I always run my life on a 'need to know' basis and haven't been on a ferry since I had my first mobile phone about 30 years ago!
    Ian011 wrote: »
    While there remain people who are unaware of this, it bears repeating.
    Indeed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport