Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 6th Aug 17, 4:19 PM
    • 353Posts
    • 221Thanks
    PhilE
    Cracks in Conservatory.
    • 6th Aug 17, 4:19 PM
    Cracks in Conservatory. 6th Aug 17 at 4:19 PM
    So I've noticed some cracks in my mums conservatory. They are vertical, near to the main house and on the inside wall. In some places you can fit a 20p piece in.

It was built in 2009, so its still under guarantee. My mums been in the house for a few years, so the guarantee has passed on to her. There was no visible damage to the conservatory when she bought the property, and nothing came up on the survey.

Looking at the gutters, the rain water has been discharged right next to the wall of the conservatory. My guess is that this has caused damage to the foundations of the conservatory. Why the company that built the conservatory would have the gutters discharging directly into the ground at the base of the conservatory, I dont know. It wouldn't have been much extra effort to lengthen the gutter so that it discharges a few meters away.

There aren't any massive cracks in the actual house itself thankfully, so it looks like its only the conservatory is the concern.

So I'm wondering what the best way to proceed would be. A structural survey is probably the best bet, just to double check its just an issue with the conservatory and not related to the main house. Expensive but reassuring.

Im guessing that the survey will pick up on the position of the discharged rain water, next to the conservatory, and possibly recommend underpinning the foundation of the conservatory.

I'm also guessing that the company who built the conservatory will try and worm their way out of it. I'd like for them to pay for the structural survey, which I wouldn't have to arrange and pay for if it wasn't for their less than 8 year old conservatory cracking already.

And I definitely think that they should pay for the cost of repairing what was pretty much an obvious design floor.

Yes, I should have spotted it a few years ago and extended the drain myself. However as the rainwater had already been soaking in the ground for nearly six years, that wouldn't have necessarily prevented the problem.

I'm considering whether my first port of call should be the company that built the conservatory, or a structural engineer.

Thoughts and experiences much appreciated.
Page 2
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 25,785 Posts
    • 69,845 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Well for those that are interested, the conservatory is holding up well and last night I had a pleasant evening sat in there with phils mum.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I just spat perfectly good wine over my phone! Worth it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I just spat perfectly good wine over my phone! Worth it.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Mrs E didnít spit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,348Posts Today

8,034Users online

Martin's Twitter