PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on Purplebricks Conveyancing

Hello.

I have recently sold with Purplebricks and at the time chose to defer payment until after the sale was completed. It was explained to me at the time that as a result of this, we would have to use the conveyancing services that PB provide.

Since reading reviews on the conveyancing options available with PB, it is not good reading at all and would now like to use my own solicitor.

I communicated this to my property expert who then informs me that a £340 fee will have to be paid as admin unlock fee!!

I do not feel this is fair and at no point was this explained to me prior to me listing with PB. Following a review of the contract, the Advanced Conveyancing quote and the agreement document, I cannot find anything in writing to say that I would have to pay £340 to not use these services! Nor have I signed any formal documentation containing this fee information.

After seeking out legal advice, my solicitor is in agreement that these fees should not be paid and nor are they fair.

Please can you offer any advice on the matter?

Thank you
Adam

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Apjs87 wrote: »
    I cannot find anything in writing to say that I would have to pay £340 to not use these services! Nor have I signed any formal documentation containing this fee information.

It's fairly clearly stated in their Service Agreement online:
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ

It is a condition of Pay Later that you agree to instruct the Conveyancing Services to act on your behalf once a sale is agreed with a purchaser and you hereby agree that you will instruct the Conveyancing Services to make payment in full to the Provider on Completion for the Products and Services taken by you in the event that you have not already made payment in accordance with the Pay Later Terms.

If at any time you have agreed to take advantage of the Conveyancing Services and thereafter withdraw, fail or refuse to use the Conveyancing Services you will be required to pay Administration Charges once you agree a sale of your property.

‘Administration Charges’ means the sum of three hundred and sixty pounds including VAT (£360.00).

Link: https://www.purplebricks.com/terms/service-agreement

Did you sign up online? If so, I suspect that you would have been asked to confirm that you have read/accepted the service agreement.

Or if you signed up via phone, did they tell you to read the agreement?

It's not relevant that you didn't sign anything.

However, you might be able to argue that it is a financial penalty and therefore an unfair contract term, as defined in The Consumer Rights Act 2015. But I think that would be messy!
  • Apjs87
    Apjs87 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    It's fairly clearly stated in their Service Agreement online:

Did you sign up online? If so, I suspect that you would have been asked to confirm that you have read/accepted the service agreement.

Or if you signed up via phone, did they tell you to read the agreement?

It's not relevant that you didn't sign anything.

However, you might be able to argue that it is a financial penalty and therefore an unfair contract term, as defined in The Consumer Rights Act 2015. But I think that would be messy!

Where did you extract that from please? I am on the website now and I cannot find that under the Ways to Pay section?
  • Apjs87
    Apjs87 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have now found it under the cancellations section. My mistake. Thanks for checking this over.
  • Hi, Just wondered what happened as i am in exactly the same situation now, regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure