Ryanair Check in

Options
I can check in now as it's 60 days before my flight.

Are there any benefits to checking in now or can I just leave it till before I go?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I think, it's best to do it now. It's something less to worry about nearer departure and let's you think about packing clothes, getting your currency sorted etc etc.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 12:38AM
    Options
    Unless you are disabled and need to declare it for special assistance (max four such persons carried per flight I believe) or unless you absolutely need to try to book a particular seat out of the 189 total seats next to someone else, then there is no need whatsoever to check in now or even in 30 days or 3 days or 3 hours before the flight. You actually have right up until 2 days before the flight to check in. Unless you need to buy a particular seat, they won't even let you check in for free until 4 days before the flight :p ... they have twisted it to make it look like some privilege to book in up to two months ahead ... it real really isn't! So help stick it back in their pipe and make them smoke it and leave it late is what I say!

I have been flying with Ryanair on the exact same aircraft type and seat layout for over 15 years and that's probably at least 15 or 20 return flights a year now.

Currently if you travel on your own and like a window seat, the smart thing to do is wait until the last minute (obviously make sure your mobile App and another means to check in like a computer are up and running in case of technical problems and don't literally leave it until 2 hours and 1 minute before scheduled flight time unless you are some kind of maniac!

Fact is (and I tested it last week and will do again very shortly) Ryanair currently seems to allocate window seats around rows 4, 5, 6 and 30, 31, 32 last even if it sold those seats they are not the least expensive - so you will get them free when most others have already checked in. At the last minute, or possibly a bit earlier say around 6 waking hours before flight, you might even get one of the top expensive seats free with max legroom next to the four window exits in rows 16 and 17. That's because they need at least one person in each row at take off and landing who can operate the emergency exit if needed.

None of Ryanair's are particularly uncomfortable for even very tall people unless you have unusually long legs and short back for a very tall person, or if you are tall and/or also very heavy or wide, then 1ABC, 2DEF, 16ABCDEF and 17ABCDEF are the extra legroom seats you need. The rest of the seats are largely the same apart from noisier for first 15 or 20 mins after takeoff behind row 18 or so.

But there's two toilets at the back and the baby change one included as opposed to just one toilet at the front.

Seriously, unless you are worried about your computer not working or you havent downloaded Ryanair's easy App as a backup, then there is nothing really that a normal passenger would want to worry too much about, other than the general fear other people have right now of being seated apart and all that unnecessary stuff recently introduced by Ryanair. It is designed just to make passengers fearful they really ought to spend extra on a seat (you don't) and also they seem to love bad publicity more than good! It's a game they play and I dont much like it but still am very confident about checking in last minute and not bothering to buy a particular seat
  • Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. If think because the poster is allowed to check in now, means the seats are already booked and paid for.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't check in now. Ryanair doesn't overbook so you've nothing to gain by checking in early. With airlines that don't overbook I usually leave check in until about 24 hrs prior. Once you've checked in with Ryanair you can't add to or change your booking without paying an uncheck fee.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 10:26AM
    Options
    agarnett wrote: »
    l am very confident about checking in last minute and not bothering to buy a particular seat
    I use the same principle on my regular (busy) route with easyJet - never pay to choose a seat and only check in a few hours before the flight. I'm always allocated an upfront or extra legroom seat, because there's nothing else left.

Edit - not sure I should have revealed this, in case MSE add it to their list of easyJet 'tricks' and enough people start trying it that it no longer works...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I use the same principle on my regular (busy) route with easyJet - never pay to choose a seat and only check in a few hours before the flight. I'm always allocated an upfront or extra legroom seat, because there's nothing else left.

Edit - not sure I should have revealed this, in case MSE add it to their list of easyJet 'tricks' and enough people start trying it that it no longer works...

It could easily backfire if you're one of the last to check in. As Easyjet overbook it could end up with you being bumped.
  • agarnett
    Options
    Ryanair doesn't overbook
    I am sure that used to be true, but I believe that they may have modified whether they do dare overbook or not because they are so clever at predicting their loads. They certainly achieve ever increasing high load factors envied by the rest.

It doesn't signify overbooking, but six months ago they certainly had given themselves the option of issuing up to ten standby tickets per flight - I saw the control form they use with my own name on the list!
  • leylandsunaddict
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    deleted..........
  • leylandsunaddict
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    agarnett wrote: »
    I am sure that used to be true, but I believe that they may have modified whether they do dare overbook or not because they are so clever at predicting their loads. They certainly achieve ever increasing high load factors envied by the rest.

It doesn't signify overbooking, but six months ago they certainly had given themselves the option of issuing up to ten standby tickets per flight - I saw the control form they use with my own name on the list!

Ryanair don't overbook unless they've changed very recently. It used to be covered on their website.

Actually it still is.

"Minimise involuntarily denied boarding
    Ryanair is the only airline in Europe that does not overbook its flights; therefore Ryanair has eliminated the possibility of passengers being denied boarding due to overbooking"
  • agarnett
    Options
    Thanks leylandsunaddict, that makes their current very high load factors even more remarkable!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure