Faulty Meter

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Which one of these has the same serial number as on your bill?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • LL1345
    LL1345 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    The single phase watt hour has the serial number of the electric but I gave them the number. It won't let me upload a photo as it is saying I haven't had enough posts. I will describe as best I can.
    The single phase watt hour meter is connected to the ACE100 SMO meter by one blue wire and one brown wire underneath both meters. Also, connected to the underneath of the single phase watt hour meter is a protective multiple earthing system type IIa BS1361 415V a.c.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You obviously need to go on a hunt for the gas meter now ;)

Many different multi meter systems were installed in new builds for no logical reason. Do both meters increase ? Do they increase at different times of the day ?

You need to post your photos on a hosting site and give links to them here.
  • LL1345
    Options
    bvcw2v
  • LL1345
    Options
  • LL1345
    Options
    I've found the gas meter now haha. I've posted the photo of the two electricity meters, let me know if it works, any info would be greatly appreciated :)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2017 at 7:18PM
    Options
    Looks to me like one of the meters is a check meter. Probably installed by a previous supplier so the current supplier has no idea of it since check meter don't go out on flows as far as I am aware.

The gas meter is elsewhere. Look for it!
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Looks to me like one of the meters is a check meter. Probably installed by a previous supplier so the current supplier has no idea of it since check meter don't go out on flows as far as I am aware.

The gas meter is elsewhere. Look for it!
    I agree, it looks like the left hand one is a check meter which has nt been removed .Decimal points are not used in standard meters, although the latest smart meters can have them..Solar Panel meters have decimal points on the meters also. Odd that it shows more units than the other but the right hand one could have gone "round the clock " and restarted from zero.
    You may not be able to smell a small gas leak if its venting somewhere not fully enclosed. My friends old gas boiler with a very large pilot light was using around £60 a year.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2017 at 11:18PM
    Options
    I agree, it looks like the left hand one is a check meter which has nt been removed .Decimal points are not used in standard meters.Solar Panel meters have them also.
    You may not be able to smell a small gas leak if its venting somewhere not fully enclosed. My friends old gas boiler with a very large pilot light was using around £60 a year.
    Really ? Best get my "non-standard" meter changed then. ;)

The right hand one is most likely the check meter as it is newer, there are new tails going to it, the way the grey tails are bent as if they were previously fitted to the left meter and the seal on the left hand meter is ancient and tarnished.

OP, now the fun begins sorting out with the supplier which electric meter is the correct one and that the gas meter reads you have been giving them are wrong. I feel a whole heap of pain coming.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Really ? Best get my "non-standard" meter changed then. ;)

The right hand one is most likely the check meter as it is newer, there are new tails going to it, the way the grey tails are bent as if they were previously fitted to the left meter and the seal on the left hand meter is ancient and tarnished.

OP, now the fun begins sorting out with the supplier which electric meter is the correct one and that the gas meter reads you have been giving them are wrong. I feel a whole heap of pain coming.
    Of course I have seen a few electric meters in my area with incorrect meters installed with a decimal point.The point is so small and hard to see when the meter is in an awkward place that anyone who s reading sight is not so good would have trouble spotting it and then start to include the last digit in submitting reads. Most digital meters can be hard to see anyway without a miniscule dot involved and many people have`nt a clue what a decimal point means. I get this fault all the time with solar panel meters who also routinely use these meters.. One user had had to have a warrant of entry taken against him because he believed BG owed him thousands as he wrongly calculated what he thought he was owed..Smart meters have them but as they are remotely read its not a problem.
    Secure Liberty meters have them when the reading is displayed for a second or two as it scrolls round..Dreadful meters for anyone not so good on eyesight.Any supplier who has picked these meters holds their customers in contempt IMO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure