When to know it's time to make that final vet journey?

Options

Comments

• hunnycat
    hunnycat Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies , haven't read them yet have had trouble getting logged in! Will read when I get home. X
    would love to win an ipad!
    A-Z Challenge - ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had one of my dogs PTS a couple of months ago. Up until the Thursday she was in brilliant form. Full of life (she was 15 at this point, she would have been 16 in May) and trotting around the house, eating drinking etc Friday she took very ill, couldn't stand up, made a mess while lying down etc. Rushed her to the vet who thought it was her heart. She was kept in, put on a drip and strong heart meds given to her. We collected her that evening and she walked (somewhat unsteadily out the door) Saturday morning, it was back to how she had been on the Friday. I looked at her, she looked at me and I just knew. Phoned the vet and after spending a couple of hours with her and letting the rest of the family say goodbye, I took her to the vet one last time. I stayed with her the entire time and was able to hold it together until she went to sleep. Handing her over was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.
  • hunnycat
    Options
    It might be a very hard thing to suggest, but sometimes an impartial eye can see what the heart can't.

Would you consider putting up a photo of him as he is right now? If he looks like my cats have, or how friends' cats have, I'll be honest with you.

The top two are photos from the last couple of weeks, the bottom one is about 6 months ago. X

21F396FD-0946-4D05-AD0F-A999691886E9_zps5ia2bgp1.jpg
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I'm so sorry, hunnycat, I think he looks tired.

I'd be inclined to spoil him rotten, but think very seriously about booking a home visit.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • hunnycat
    Options
    I'm so sorry, hunnycat, I think he looks tired.

I'd be inclined to spoil him rotten, but think very seriously about booking a home visit.

Thank you for your honesty. Most of
    My other pets have suddenly taken a turn without warning so the decision was made for me easily. I didn't ask about a home visit but it's something I would More than prepared to pay for, we had had a sudden family loss in march and I think this is why I am
    Clinging to him as my Children are still struggling with the loss
    Of their Granda.
    X
  • GillM
    GillM Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't do what I did. My old girl (15 and with a collapsed trachea) stopped eating just after Christmas - totally unheard of for her, so I knew she was near the end. I could have taken her to my own vet, but I chickened out. Then she collapsed late on Saturday night and had to be rushed to the emergency vet where they didn't know her, actually I don't think she really knew, she was out of it by then, but it really upset me, I felt guilty that it all ended up so rushed and undignified.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    orlao wrote: »
    It's never an easy decision to make but even harder when there's no emergency that leaves no alternative. It does sound like your vet thinks it's nearly time.

I'm a subscriber to the school of thought that 'better a week too early rather than a hour too late' in circumstances like this. I can't say that I've always got it right with my own animals over the years but I've never felt guilt about the planned PTS but to my shame, there have been pets that ended up being emergency euthanasias with all the stress that entails because I didn't make the decision in time...

I also have the vets to the house for planned PTS, it's a bit more expensive and you might have to work to their schedule but less stressful for all concerned IME.

Totally agree with all of this as we went through it a few months ago. If anything I think we waited perhaps a bit too long, as it was so hard to let him go:cry:

I wasn't sure about the vet coming to the house, but I am so glad we did it that way. It was far less stressful for our boy being in his own home.

It is such a painful thing to go through, but we wouldn't be without them would we.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you wait for the moment that he is visibly in pain then the chances are he will already have been suffering for quite a while. Like humans, cats and dogs are perfectly capable of putting on a brave face. A cat may purr not because they are happy but because they are in pain as it releases endorphins, I think the same may be true of dogs wagging their tail (though it's not my area).

This is not to encourage you one way or the other - I don't know your dog and am sure you will make the right decision. I'm only saying that you shouldn't feel guilty or think you've acted too early if you put him to sleep when he looks outwardly happy.
  • Cupcake_Returns
    Options
    I struggled on for 18 months with my old boy who was blind, deaf and had dementia. We coped with all of that, but when his walks only lasted to the end of the drive, I had to book a date and stick to it :(

So not easy and even on the morning I was still torn in two. I booked the first appointment of the day and was taken into a private room where I could stay with him till I was ready to leave him. He went to sleep peacefully on my lap

I wish you the strength you need xxxx
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    I know how painful this decision is to make and it must be even harder when you are already mourning the loos of a family member :(

I always feel like a traitor when I have to let a beloved companion go but, rationally, I know that not letting them suffer unnecessarily is the last, loving thing I can do for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure