PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 15 June 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 June 2017 at 6:35AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 15 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was pork steaks in gravy, mash, and veg, yoghurts/ice cream for dessert. Tonight should be chicken, bacon and mushroom HM pie, I got the chicken out to defrost and put it into the fridge in the house, to then get it out to defrost overnight as my kitchen is quite cool as it doesn't get the sun, I promptly forgot and it's still frozen, we'll see, it may be a re-think.

Work yesterday wasn't too bad as I was in an office on my own, so it just feels not so pressurized. A colleague come to find me yesterday afternoon as a customer had come in asking for me, so I went out to see the customer thinking something else had gone wrong with the work I'd been dealing with for them and he promptly presented me with 2 big bunches of flowers, for going "above and beyond", was a totally unnecessary but a very kind thought. When it gets tough, which it does too regularly at the moment these gestures restore your faith in human nature! Now on days' off until Monday and we're going away tomorrow until Sunday, I can't wait. This morning I have an eye test first thing, I'll be asking them to take the lenses out of my normal and sunglasses and then put the normal lenses into the sunglasses frames as yet again the frame from my normal glasses has had the arm fall off. I'm not impressed with these glasses at all, these are the most expensive I've ever bought and this is the 2nd pair of frames I've had, the first the arm fell off after only 8 months and they sent those back as faulty and managed to find a new set of frames for me. This 2nd pair of frames have broken in the same way - so not happy. I'll be speaking to them about the quality of the product. I've never had glasses fall apart like these do, and they are not from their cheapest range either. I'll then be in town visiting the building society and bank. I'll be tackling the iron mountain and packing too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Thanks for starting us of nmlc, hope you have a good few days away.

It was raining when I got up but looks a little brighter now. No washing until I get home from work, the DW can go on then too.

DD phoned last night to say she has been offered a Manager's job and she should start at the beginning of July. She took voluntary redundancy last Friday as she was fed up where she was. So pleased for her even though she has had to cancel her holiday!

Hope you are all ok, take care. XX
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Hugs to those that are unwell or having a difficult time at the moment.

My thoughts are with those who have lost their life and have been affected by the horrific fire in London, it is such a sad tragedy.

It was another lovely sunny day yesterday. The forecast for today is not quite as good, but still not too bad at all. At the moment it is a really bright and sunny.

I have a load of washing to put out in a minute, it should dry quickly today. I also need to give my bedroom a thorough clean and do the inside of a couple of windows. I am trying to do them in stages. It works better for me this way.

I went and did my first ever Aldi shop yesterday, and bought the staples that I needed and a few things to try, to see if I like them. I am amazed at how much I have saved against what I would have paid in the past at the supermarkets that I had access too. I think that the trolley will pay for itself and start saving me money within a few weeks now that I can carry shopping home from Aldi. The trolley has certainly been one of the best purchases I have made for a number of years.

I need to go and get some fish for dinner tonight out of the freezer to defrost.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,675 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 6:44AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for the thread. Lovely morning here. Warm and sunny.

We got back to Casa Abuela from the caravan yesterday afternoon. Just in time to unpack the stuff brought back and await the arrival of youngest DGD who was to take to Rainbows, whilst DD took middle one to ballet. Then both back for late tea (an easy one of oven chips and pizza) and sleepover. Both still asleep but expecting to hear fairy footsteps any minute!

We have the pleasure of the trek to Leeds this morning for Mr TA's monthly Oncology appt. That will take up most of the day as usual. Then all 3 DGDs are back for late tea and sleepover after swimming. It will be the customary Pasta Bolognese Bake, as it is every Thursday, because there would be a riot if I gave them anything else! I shall get the Bolognese, pasta and cheese sauce going when I waken up a bit and have it all assembled in my big dish ready to throw in the oven when we get back.

Driving back from the 'van over the Blubberhouses yesterday a deer ran straight across the road in front of us and Mr TA had all on avoiding it. As the road crosses bleak moorland we get used to seeing rabbits, pheasants etc dicing with death on there but never a deer before. Hope it survived the following traffic. Poor thing look terrified.

Off to make my second coffee and hope this wakens me up better than the first one. Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want one. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone
    It's sunny here at the moment, hope it lasts. Yesterday was fine and dry, it lifts your spirits a bit to see some sun.
    Plans for today are visiting a friend who has just come out of hospital, and picking DGS up from school.
    Interspersed with that will be the usual household tasks and a bit of shopping. There's also some ironing, and I must do it - I'm determined to keep it down.
    Yesterday I was out for lunch, came back mid-afternoon,tidied another couple of cupboards and in the evening watered plants.
    I've had a rubbish nights' sleep, which is not unusual - I'll get through the day on strong coffee.
    Have a good day all.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Morning all
    Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

It's hot again, if anyone has some spare rain please send it this way.
    Seem to spend every evening watering the garden and pots, note to self, don't plants so many pots next year.
    So many strawberries this year, not sure if I can fit them all into the freezer and don't know how many more I can eat.
    Trying to organise my kitchen, cupboards and freezer, not making much headway. Move things around, don't like it and move them back, have never liked my kitchen, it looks ok but doesn't seem to 'flow'.
    Need to get fresh fruit and bread this morning, so early trip to Aldi.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's dry but cloudy today, I think a bit of rain is forecast for later on. I had a good nights sleep but must have slept awkwardly as I have a crick in my neck. Hopefully it will ease off in a bit as it is quite uncomfortable.

Hubby has gone off to work and the girls are getting ready for school apart from DD16 as she has finished now except for a couple more exams. I have the school meeting at 3.15 if anyone can send a few confidence boosting vibes I would be grateful.

My eldest DD is coming over to see me this morning after she has dropped the kids off which will be lovely to see her. I've cancelled my lovely CMHT lady for today as I don't want to go out twice in a day.

The weight watcher meeting was really great, I knew a few of the ladies there and it was nice to catch up with them. I am all fired up now to have a good week and hopefully get a decent weight loss next week.

Tonight I am also making a pasta bolognese bake. I will try and get it all together before I go off for my meeting so I can just throw it into the oven when I come back home. Yesterdays chicken skewers were really nice but quite time consuming to make and cook.

Hope the appointment goes well TA x
    Have you named your trolley yet Holly?
    Congratulations to your DD camelot, hope she is really happy in her new job x
    It is so nice to be appreciated nmlc, hope you get more good days than bad x

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 8:06AM
    Morning all

Nice bright day here again, yesterday was scorching and far too hot to be working in a kitchen ! I was melting.

Off to work for me today and this afternoon I am having my appraisal I have a few points to get across so hopefully something will come of it, but I wont hold my breath.

Going to do something with pasta for dinner I have some chorizo and sour cream to use up so will make something with them.

I keep thinking of those poor people in London how desperate must you be to throw your baby out of the window and not knowing what will happen to the poor baby :( so heart breaking for everyone.

Camelot well done to your dd xx

Right need to get on have good days all xx
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    dumpling wrote: »
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I have the school meeting at 3.15 if anyone can send a few confidence boosting vibes I would be grateful.

Sending you all the best vibes and hugs

You will be fine, you are strong, you have overcome so much. Don't doubt yourself.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning all.

I woke at 4.00am, read for a wee while, nodded off again and just woke again.

Last night I decided to mow the garden lawn, it was a spur of the moment decision to help me avoid just sitting down again to watch trash telly. It's been at least four weeks since the whole lawn was cut so it was badly needed. And there had been no rain all day, and rain was forecast for the rest of the week, and I wanted to do it! Now I'm so glad I bothered.

This morning I've a brief job to take someone to the docs, that won't take more than 90 minutes. In afternoon a neighbour is coming to see about putting up some guttering along parts of the garden. My garden is fully enclosed and formed by three sides of farm steading and then my house and barn make up the fourth wall. Some parts of the very old guttering is missing so the rain drips down on the plants. It needs sorting.

There's assorted food in the fridge to use up. There's a book to finish a bit of work to do for my three days a month job! :rotfl:

Dumpling - good vibes to you. Keep that confidence up.

MrsTA - hope your journey isn't too difficult.

Camelot - great news for your DD, she hasn't wasted any time in getting a new job.

Happy Thursday everyone.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Dumpling - good luck this afternoon.

TA, we've seen deer around there as well.

I'm going to DD's this morning to help her get her house into shape. I know she and DH have been frantically busy at work and often away for the last couple of moths so heaven knows what sort of state it is. She sounded very relieved when I offered to go.

It's another beautiful day today so I'd better dress accordingly, I'll probably be very hot.

Not got a lot else to write about, I'm still thinking of those poor people in London. Devastating and terrible as terrorist attacks are they are over very quickly, it's unimaginable to think what it must be like to be trapped at the top of a tower block with no way out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure