Train delay - who is responsible?

Options
On Sunday I travelled on the 1800 kings cross to Peterborough train which was due to arrive at 1843, before catching the 1855 Peterborough to Stamford train, due to arrive at 1905. The ticket was an advance with the train times and seat reservations printed on the ticket. I had not split the tickets.
The virgin train from London was 14 minutes late arriving at Peterborough meaning I missed my designated connection and had to wait an hour for the next train from Peterborough to Stamford, which arrived at Stamford at 2011, some 66 minutes later than I should have done.
I submitted a claim to virgin but they refused it as I was only delayed by 14 minutes on their train.
Is this correct?

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Virgin only refund for 30 mins or more delay
    https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/refunds

The connecting train was not late
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June 2017 at 12:56PM
    Options
    On Sunday I travelled on the 1800 kings cross to Peterborough train which was due to arrive at 1843, before catching the 1855 Peterborough to Stamford train, due to arrive at 1905. The ticket was an advance with the train times and seat reservations printed on the ticket. I had not split the tickets.
    The virgin train from London was 14 minutes late arriving at Peterborough meaning I missed my designated connection and had to wait an hour for the next train from Peterborough to Stamford, which arrived at Stamford at 2011, some 66 minutes later than I should have done.
    I submitted a claim to virgin but they refused it as I was only delayed by 14 minutes on their train.
    Is this correct?
    No, that is not correct.

Your journey was from London to Stamford.
    Your arrival at Stamford was over an hour late due to the Virgin East Coast train not running to time.

Page 24 of The National Rail Conditions of Travel tell us that you a due a refund of at least 50% of the ticket price.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,523 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As long as you had sufficient connection time, the fact a ticket was sold demonstrates the time to be adequate, you have a valid claim.

Press them and take further if no success.

"What if I am delayed on a multi-leg journey?
    If you are travelling with more than one train operator and you experience a delay, it is important that you make your claim for compensation to the operator that caused the initial delay. It is important that you leave sufficient time to maintain connections (including crossing London connections). Compensation will only be paid for missed connections when enough time has been left to meet the connection and you hold a ‘through’ ticket that covers the entire journey."
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you got a link for that quote, as it completely sums up the rationale behind Virgin being liable for the delay?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,523 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Virgin caused they delay. They are responsible.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Were there any Virgin staff at Peterborough you could complain to at the time?

I ask because when Virgin West Coast did this to me and I arrived at Crewe late enough to miss a connection - their Customer Services folks at Crewe got me a taxi to my final destination (on their account) since that was cheaper than the delay repay. It would have been over an hour because of the wait for the next train.

Anyway - I think you are entitled to challenge Virgin again - making clear you are referring to the whole journey and which connecting train you had to take.

Their website states
    How does Delay Repay work?
    If you arrive at your destination late because a Virgin Trains East Coast service was cancelled or delayed, you can submit a claim.
    Their passenger charter uses the phrase "destination station". So as wealdroam says - that's Stamford, not Peterborough.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • martinbuckley
    Options
    I've sent it back to them and am awaiting a reply.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Is this correct?
    You are entitled to Delay Repay for a delay of 60+ mins, from Virgin Trains EC.
    Virgin only refund for 30 mins or more delay
    https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/refunds

The connecting train was not late
    You appear to be suggesting that a Delay Repay claim is invalid. If that is what you are saying, you are incorrect, but MSE won't do anything about incorrect info being posted here.

martinbuckley - unfortunately that is a risk of using this forum for railway ticketing questions; there are some people here who post inaccurate/misleading information. Fortunately in this case everyone else gave out correct information.
  • martinbuckley
    Options
    Its somewhat ironic that the only person giving out incorrect/misleading information was the Board Guide!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure