PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour feeding noisy birds

My neighbour has attached three bird feeders to his side of my garden fence (left fence as you look at my garden from my house). They are screwed near to the top of the fencing panels.

This has attracted dozens upon dozens of very noisy birds from 4.30am this morning, when I was woken up by the noise.

The noise has continued throughout the day. I work from home so the noise has caused me a lack of concentration in my work, added to the tiredness caused by being woken up very early.

In addition to this, the birds perch on the top of my fencing panels as they take turns to feed and there is now a large amount of bird droppings on my fence and on my decking.

I generally get on very well with the family next door but this is causing me real issues now. The noise at times is literally unbearable. I'm going to have to find a way of cleaning my fencing panels and decking too, but don't want to do it until the bird feeders have been moved away from my property.

Am I being unreasonable if I were to ask my neighbour to move the bird feeders to the end of his garden or his garden fence?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No.

Would he be being unreasonable to decline your polite request? No.

Have you considered getting a cat?
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Whose fence is it? By that I mean who paid to have it erected?

If you did, ask them to move the feeders. If your neighbour did then there's not a lot you can do except ask nicely.

We don't have bird feeders outside but the birds wake us up at first light, too.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Big scarecrow your side of the fence? Cat outline on the top of the fence or nearby? Something with bells on (wind chime?) that might jingle or clank every time they are on the fence?

Loads of ideas on ebay - mainly reflective tape that scares them off: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bird+scare&_sacat=0

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's actually my fence. I've just spent 30 minutes scrubbing last night's bird droppings off it. It's never been this noisy with birds before.

I'll ask him and see what he says.

He's got the option to mount the bird feeders on his own fencing (left-hand side to him) or the end of his garden.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    th?id=OIP.aXYcdmPvQlhq786c69v3tQEsDY&w=215&h=160&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.090909&pid=1.7
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    tea and cake and a little white lie:

much as you love the birds, your neighbour won't be aware of the massive ginger tom you've seen lurking on your side of the fence

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a cat?

The birds will just sit on the fence laughing at the cat, resulting in more noise and poo.

A sparrowhawk would make a better pet.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • stef73
    stef73 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Pigeon tape on a stick fastened to your fence.
  • evoke wrote: »
    It's actually my fence. I've just spent 30 minutes scrubbing last night's bird droppings off it. It's never been this noisy with birds before.

I'll ask him and see what he says.

He's got the option to mount the bird feeders on his own fencing (left-hand side to him) or the end of his garden.

There's your answer then. As it's your fence then he's not allowed to attach anything to it (bird feeders or otherwise).

So GM's coffee/cakes accompanied by your concerns for your fence/how you hate and dont have the time for extra housework (ie the 30 minutes of your leisure time scrubbing the droppings off for him) and dropping in the fact that he's not allowed to attach them in a way that is too clear for him to ignore - but politely phrased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure