Capita PIP Home Visit

Options

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is a fact that Capita will offer home visits as a matter of course, ATOS will not.

I just had a home visit from ATOS, didn't ask for it. The lady who came to my house said they do loads nowadays.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    I just had a home visit from ATOS, didn't ask for it. The lady who came to my house said they do loads nowadays.

Then you are the exception and not the rule.

Taken from the ATOS PIP webpage:

We may ask you to see one of our qualified Health Professionals for a face to face consultation – usually in one of our centres, but possibly in your home. This will help us to understand how your health condition or disability affects your daily life.
  • vicki84
    vicki84 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi can I ask what your home assessment was like please this is why I started this thread but it seems to have been taken over with arguments about home assessments.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    vicki84 wrote: »
    Hi can I ask what your home assessment was like please this is why I started this thread but it seems to have been taken over with arguments about home assessments.
    I've not had a home assessment but have had a few assessments and gone to them. I would expect the to be very much the same. They'll watch you from the minute they arrive to the minute they leave. Questions should mostly be based around what you wrote on the PIP2 form. When answering questions don't just answer with a yes or no, give as much detail as possible if you can't do something explain why. Have someone with you if at all possible. They'll ask you for some form of ID when they arrive. Any extra evidence you can give it to them while they're there. You'll be asked to do some physical thingsd like lift your arms/legs etc (if you have mobility issues) If you can't do what they ask then please tell them and the reason/s why. I don't think they'll ask to see around your home as i've never heard of them doing this but i maybe wrong. Think before you answer anything. They will look at how your dressed, your hair etc. If i think of anything else i'll post again but for now this is all i can think of. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    OneYorkshireLass Posts: 3,166 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 6 May 2017 at 8:24PM
    Options
    Hi any advice for home visits do they go in every room of your house etc any help appreciated

I had a woman who seemed nice. She asked about my illnesses, asked about my background (right back to GCSEs which I found stupid, I mean, why does it matter if I got GCSEs - that was then, not now). Went through the descriptors and asked things in more detail and then did physical tests like 'show me bending, press against my hands' kinda thing.

She only sat in one room, didn't ask to see the rest of the house, but did ask what the bathroom was like and who I lived with.

Whole thing took about 80 mins.

I realise now after getting the report (I asked for it a few days after the assessment) that she was watching me like a hawk all the time. Noted my every move, etc. Noted that I can bend down (I never said I couldn't on the form), noted that I communicated well. To be honest, it would have been better to have been rude and grunted my way through it. They seem to think that if you're polite then you're obviously not that disabled.

She obviously didn't understand a few things and I scored less than I thought I would, but I still came out with the same amount of money that I was getting for DLA, so decided not to challenge for fear of them cancelling it entirely if someone else looks at it :(

Good look with yours.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    First Post
    Options
    Then you are the exception and not the rule.

Taken from the ATOS PIP webpage:

We may ask you to see one of our qualified Health Professionals for a face to face consultation – usually in one of our centres, but possibly in your home. This will help us to understand how your health condition or disability affects your daily life.

Of course, rockingbilly, you are always right(!) heaven forbid someone knows slightly more than you do i.e from the horse's mouth.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 May 2017 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Of course, rockingbilly, you are always right(!) heaven forbid someone knows slightly more than you do i.e from the horse's mouth.

lol! I wondered what you were shouting about! :rotfl:

Vicki, my assessment was with Atos. She asked a lot of background questions, school and uni life, work and so on. then got onto medication and illnesses. then asked about how my illnesses affect me individually which was difficult as they tend to overlap. then she went through the descriptors in more detail, what i'd written etc. anything I wanted to add. then she did the physical exam - move your arms, walk around the room etc.

as OYL said they note everything you do, which is a bit disconcerting. definitely felt like an exam that was either pass/fail!

I found it easier having a copy of what i had written on the form right in front of me so I could refer to it. cos my memory is appalling.

she didn't ask to see the rest of the house. i presume that if you have an adapted bathroom or something maybe it would be worth them seeing it.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    First Post
    Options
    lol! I wondered what you were shouting about! :rotfl:

I shouldn't read this forum :(
  • vicki84
    vicki84 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks oneyorkshirelass and weareghosts your posts are very helpful
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want a home assessment (for any reason) - simply email DCPUALTERNATIVE.FORMATTEAM@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK and ask for one !!
    They will offer you exactly what you need !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure