Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 2nd May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 2,853Posts
    • 368Thanks
    britishboy
    Composite decking - yes or no
    • 2nd May 17, 3:19 PM
    Composite decking - yes or no 2nd May 17 at 3:19 PM
    as above, i know composite is more expensive, but are there any pros/cons of it? We were considering 2 levels of patio but ive laid decking previously so this would save loads on labour costs.

We're after a pretty modern look for the garden, and have been looking at the grey composite boards

Also, is there a preferred supplier/manufacturer?
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 2nd May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 2nd May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd May 17, 6:25 PM
    If I was installing decking, then composite boards would probably be the first thing I'd consider. Wooden decking needs to be maintained properly otherwise it looks terrible pretty quickly and can also get very slippery.
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 2nd May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 2nd May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2nd May 17, 10:26 PM
    I've got anthracite grey composite boards from http://www.ecodek.co.uk/range/ecodek-products/ for my decking.

It was a lot more expensive than wood though. The main pro I wanted was to avoid my 4 kids getting splinters ! I've had 1 in minor injuries unit on laughing gas to get one out from his aunties house and I can do without that sort of hassle.

It looks good, modern and stylish and matches the door and window colours.

I've got slight concerns about scratches - nothing major so far after a year but I'm conscious it could occur.

I used a wooden sub frame so maybe eventually that will rot, but its tanalised so hopefully good for a long time.

I laid strips of black DPC used for bricks along the joists, to a deflect any water away from the joists and to avoid seeing wood colour through the grey decking.
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 11th May 17, 10:47 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 11th May 17, 10:47 PM
    • 11th May 17, 10:47 PM
    Definitely composite , I've just done ours , a 7m x 3m and a raised 2.5m x 2.5m , you can get all the formed step edges to make it look great , have a look at composite wood company , based in oldham .
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 11th May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 11th May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 11th May 17, 10:49 PM
    I've got anthracite grey composite boards from http://www.ecodek.co.uk/range/ecodek-products/ for my decking.

It was a lot more expensive than wood though. The main pro I wanted was to avoid my 4 kids getting splinters ! I've had 1 in minor injuries unit on laughing gas to get one out from his aunties house and I can do without that sort of hassle.

It looks good, modern and stylish and matches the door and window colours.

I've got slight concerns about scratches - nothing major so far after a year but I'm conscious it could occur.

I used a wooden sub frame so maybe eventually that will rot, but its tanalised so hopefully good for a long time.

I laid strips of black DPC used for bricks along the joists, to a deflect any water away from the joists and to avoid seeing wood colour through the grey decking.
    Originally posted by beaker141
    I used treated on my subframe and used black cuprinol on all the frame as an extra measure .
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 12th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 12th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 12th May 17, 6:25 AM
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but those who got it, can you share how much it cost. We r looking to replace out wooden one but not sure how much would this cost. Per m2 figures are often misleading so wanted to get some real figures if possible. Thanks
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 12th May 17, 8:13 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 12th May 17, 8:13 AM
    • 12th May 17, 8:13 AM
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but those who got it, can you share how much it cost. We r looking to replace out wooden one but not sure how much would this cost. Per m2 figures are often misleading so wanted to get some real figures if possible. Thanks
    Originally posted by xyz123
    Whats misleading about sq m costs - I could dig out the absolute cost of my deck, but then I'd have to tell you the exact size so you can work it out !

At the time I bought Ecodek it was 7.20 per metre of deckboard that was 136mm wide - from memory its about 49 per m2.

Add on screws, any edging you want. Then the cost of a subframe if you need one - basically tanalised wooden joists (I think I used 5*2), some decent size screws/bolts to assemble it, some wooden posts to fix it to the ground (I used 3*3 tanalised) and some postfix concrete to secure the posts in the ground and some rawlbolts to fix it to the house wall.

I did 2 sections of decking, 6.7m x 3m and 9m x 1.2m, constructed as above - Ecodek cost was 2400, everything else about 700, so all in just over 3k.
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 12th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 12th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 12th May 17, 8:33 PM
    boards are 12 feet long and roughly 6 inches wide , pricewise about 28 per board inc hidden fastenings , so for a 12 x 12 deck you would be looking around 700 , plus the cost of the subframe , that's just an example for a rough idea .
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 27th Jun 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 27th Jun 18, 12:25 PM
    • 27th Jun 18, 12:25 PM
    It does fade though, and not in a uniform manner according to our deck fitter.
    • Dean000000
    • By Dean000000 30th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Dean000000
    may I balance this tread by saying - unless you absolutely detest any form of maintenance, I would go hardwood timber.

I know it sounds silly - but I don't half look forward to that first nice weekend of spring to Jet wash, lightly sand and apply two coats of oil to my decking....I genuinely mean that.... its very therapeutic and (for me personally) a great excuse to spend a few hours away from the wife and kids

on a serious - I don't think you can beat the look and feel of a timber deck, so wouldn't (even by choice) go with anything else....

Dunno tho - may just be a caveman attitude...
    • michaeldavies1
    • By michaeldavies1 5th Feb 19, 8:20 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    michaeldavies1
    I bought Ash coloured composite decking boards here https://www.dinodecking.co.uk/category/composite-decking-boards/. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

The decking has been down for a full year and still looks brand new here in the UK. We've had a hot summer and it is now -3 degrees (snowing) but my deck still looks pristine!

Pros:
    - Weather proof
    - Will last a life time
    - Looks far better than wood (wood rots and looks uneven after 1 year)
    - Safe for children and pets - no splinters!

Cons:
    - Slighty more expensive than timber. HOWEVER, I worked out the amount i would spend on staining each year and composite pays for itself over time! Also there's a lot of expensive composite decking retailers, however, I found Dino Decking the lowest priced by far!
    Last edited by michaeldavies1; 05-02-2019 at 8:25 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,111Posts Today

7,555Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin