Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,903Posts
    • 10,886Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 8:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 8:04 PM.
Page 90
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 29th Mar 19, 7:44 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Friday again... where did the week go

Been a busy week, busy but good

Hiking again this weekend, route as yet undecided but it will certainly end at a pub

Wherever you are and whatever you have planned for the weekend, have a guid yin
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 29th Mar 19, 9:11 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Update - We've decided we are doing the John Buchan Way from Peebles to Broughton (Scottish Borders) tomorrow

DEFINITELY a pub meal after this one
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 29th Mar 19, 9:12 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 32,664 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely weekend US

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Mar 19, 12:38 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Apr 19, 11:31 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Folks

So sorry I've not been updating much lately...

Been struggling a bit with things.

Some of you may know that I have issues with my MH, most of you don't.
    I've been fighting these issues most of my adult life. Anyone who knows depression, anxiety and stress related illness will know it can be a life-long battle.

For the first time in a while I've needed help and I have reached out for that help (counselling / therapy) as well as sharing and talking with my closest friends.

I am a fighter, from a long, long line of fighters and I will beat this, yet again.

So, just putting this out there, if any of you are also dealing with MH issues, please do not be afraid to reach out and seek help. Talk and share with those closest to you.

As always, I will seek to help whoever I can, as well as ensuring that I keep myself well too. Self care is important, we need to care for ourselves as well as others.

Sorry if this is a bit a shock to folks and a bit of a ramble of a post but I just felt that I needed to get this oot.

I know I will be OK and I know as well that it's OK to not be OK

Getting better is not a linear process, there are ups n downs along the way...

Hope everyone is doing grand and the weather is braw wherever you are
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think we have spoken about this before
    Take care of you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Apr 19, 5:47 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,472 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    What Beanie said - take care of you.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 6% ...
    Campervan loan progress 20%

• Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 12th Apr 19, 1:33 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Keep fighting it Uncanny its crap when it hits you xx I hope your okay we are all here if you need us.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Apr 19, 7:48 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks Folks

...and thanks to those who have messaged me, really appreciated.

I'm lucky that I have great support from my GF, my friends and even my wee dug... I will bounce back folks.
    This is just a bump in the road.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Apr 19, 9:14 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Just want to share a link to a site that has been a HUGE help to myself and many of my friends with MH issues;
    The Blurt Foundation, an excellent resource from folks who truly understand the issues
    https://www.blurtitout.org/
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Apr 19, 8:36 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thank goodness it's more out in the open now about MH issues and it's ok not to be ok. Great that you have support. Take care US and hope you're feeling better soon xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 13th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Thank you US for saying this on your diary - so many people try to pretend that their mental health is fine and for a man I think it is extra hard to admit that it is not.

The road is long and windy with peaks and troughs - you will get through this and continue on the journey.

It is ok not to be ok.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No.15 for January
    NSD - /20
    (up to 1/1/19)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening Folks

Thank you for posting your support and also to those folks who have messaged me, it really means a lot to know that even folks I've not met (yet ) care...

Yesterday, me n the dug were dragged of to fairyland by the mad squad... We explored the beautiful Eildon Hills near Melrose in the Scottish Borders. This is the area where Thomas The Rhymer met with the Queen of the Fairies and went to Fairyland with her...

We had a grand day and climbed all three of the hills that the Romans named Trimontium when the established their camp and fort beside them.

Managed to capture some great photos, as the weather was lovely and clear, great views from the top of the highest of the three hills...

We didn't know that the Melrose 7's were on until we arrived that morning (honest guv ) we just happened upon it.
    Our after hike lunch / dinner was spent watching some of it on t big telly in pub
    The lads dropped me n the dug off at GF's on the way home and we spent a nice evening together and today we wandered with the dugs around our fave local walk before having our traditional Sunday Roast in the pub

Been a grand weekend and I have really felt bucked up, which is several letters away from where I was last week

Thanks everyone and even though I know they'll never read it, thanks to the mad squad who gave me a huge group hug at the top o the hill, where every one said "We effing love ya, never forget it ya daft bugg*r ye!"
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh that's lovely to read - you've got some brilliant mates there, worth their weight in gold
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh that's lovely to read - you've got some brilliant mates there, worth their weight in gold
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    This, so this

***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,472 Thanks
    RosaBernicia

RB x
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 6% ...
    Campervan loan progress 20%

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Apr 19, 7:22 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    THanks folks

My mates are definitely brothers from other mothers and sisters from other misters, I am blessed

Just poppin on to let the lovely folks who are messaging me via Insta know that I'm NOT ignoring their messages, my Insta is playing silly beggars and keeps stopping. I get the alerts but I cannot access the messages... hopefully be sorted out soon

Have a good one folks, I'll try and pop in and oot as day goes on
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 32,664 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Morning US

I've messaged on insta opps! I didn't want to text and disturb you.

Take care

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Apr 19, 1:02 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,374 Thanks
    ladymay
    Hi Uncanny,

I hope you're doing ok. It sounds like you have a good support system around you and that you know yourself well enough to know when you need help, which is fantastic. You've certainly been there for me in the past, if there's anything I can do from the other end of the country (send clotted cream, maybe? ), just let me know.

Also, it's been in the news that IG has had some problems over the past week but I think it's all sorted now.

Take care of yourself. You deserve it xx
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,886 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thank you
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

4,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin