Cheapest time to buy kiln dried wood?

Options
I'm having a multi fuel stove fitted in a few weeks and I have been told that spring/summer is the cheapest time to buy wood?
Looking at buying 1m3 of wood, hoping this and some smokeless fuel will last me a winter?
But which month would you say was the cheapest ?

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    1 cubic metre of wood to last you all winter ??
    Not going to be using it much then..................
    HTH
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1 cubic metre of wood to last you all winter ??
    Not going to be using it much then..................
    HTH

How much do you think I will need then? New to all this
    Guess stove will be on 4pm-10pm Mon -fri and noon to 10pm weekends, guess it's a how long is a piece of string question
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It really depends on the size of the stove - Mine is rated at 6.4Kw and I've used around four cubic metres of stacked wood.

Summer time is certainly the best time to get wood in, but I wouldn't waste money on kiln dried - Just get a couple of loads of well seasoned wood and stack it under cover.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Summer time is certainly the best time to get wood in, but I wouldn't waste money on kiln dried - Just get a couple of loads of well seasoned wood and stack it under cover.[/QUOTE]

Is 6 months enough time to dry out the seasoned wood?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's seasoned then it should be dry enough, just keep it in a sheltered ventilated place so that it doesn't get rained on and the wind can blow around it..
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    applepad wrote: »
    I'm having a multi fuel stove fitted in a few weeks and I have been told that spring/summer is the cheapest time to buy wood?
    Looking at buying 1m3 of wood, hoping this and some smokeless fuel will last me a winter?
    But which month would you say was the cheapest ?

It depends on how big a space you want to heat and how well insulated it is. Softwood will pump out heat but will burn quicker.

Seasoning times depend on the wood (generally speaking hardwood 2 years, softwood 1 year assuming it's not cut down when full of sap) and where it is stored. If you get sun and have space to lay your split logs out to dry or a place to stack the logs that will get a lot of wind this will be best for drying them out.

If you buy seasoned wood it should be dry enough to burn (you can buy a moisture tester on Amazon and a decent wood supplier shouldn't mind you splitting and checking a few logs, about 20% or lower is ideal).

Also worth buying a flue thermometer to give you an indication of whether you are burning at an efficient temperature.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would second the recommendation to avoid kiln dried wood. It takes energy to dry the material and energy is expensive in the UK.

Ask around to find a reliable supplier and buy it as soon as you can. Other replies have been right about how to store it - sheltered but open to the air,

As for smokeless fuel, many sources have a summer rate but you will have to shop around to find the start dates as they vary. The cheapest way to buy it is by the pallet load (a metric tonne, for example) but you will need somewhere to store 50 or so brightly coloured bags (so probably not by the front door) and delivery drivers are quite likely to dump the pallet at the kerbside and leave you to do the rest. Check eBay and Google for suppliers.

Another consideration is that you may need to experiment a little to find the best fuel for your particular application. My advice would be to start with a mid-price smokeless like Newflame and see how that goes.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whenever I buy "seasoned" wood, I always try to keep it another summer, as it burns a lot better then. So I tend to buy in the spring.

Most woods require a good 2 years to season properly. Some even longer.

If you do want to buy kiln-dried wood, then you need somewhere really dry to keep it. Otherwise, it will just get damp again on the first windy rainy day.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Two stoves here :)

Personally although logs can be great and I'll happily burn them if going a begging, but...

Must be properly seasoned which, round here, they almost never are.

Storage space.

They burn better in a larger stove unless you can get your supplier to provide smaller logs.

Expensive even if free by the time you lug them around, cut, stack etc...

I just get smokeless ovals and briquettes :) Cheaper and less hassle.

EDIT: Suggest 3-4 cubic metre bags.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I would second the recommendation to avoid kiln dried wood.

I'd 'third' that.

As this is a money saving site I'd also suggest considering free sources of wood if you are willing and able to exploit them. Even if not your main source of wood it can help to reduce your overall costs, especially if you need kindling wood for firelighting.

Builders skips are often a good source of wood, especially with loft/roof conversions. If you speak to the builders they are usually delighted that someone wants to take their waste away for free. Beware of treated and painted woods, as well as manufactured boards (e.g. chipboard) as the chemical content may result in toxic fumes, damage to your stove and generally not being a very good neighbour.

Sites like Freecycle often have offers of firewood - from people cutting down trees in their gardens or just general left-over wood. You'll need space to store freshly cut wood while it seasons, but it works out much cheaper than kiln dried bags.

Another potential source could be any local woodworking or joinery companies. It is likely the staff all have woodburners at home :D but they may have sufficient waste offcuts left over to let you have some, especially if you ask nicely and perhaps indicate a willingness to offer some beers or similar to express your appreciation in return.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport