Transfer cash ISA without extra contributions in this tax year?

Options
I was in the process of applying for a new cash ISA in Coventry BS for transferring my other ISA to it.
However, at the end of application they say:
I apply to subscribe for a Cash ISA for this tax year 2017/2018 and each successive year until further notice. I declare that:

• I have not subscribed/made payments, and will not subscribe/make payments, more than the overall subscription/payment limit* in total to a cash ISA, a stocks and shares ISA, an innovative finance ISA and a lifetime ISA in the same tax year;
  • I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this cash ISA; ...
However, I have already subscribed to another cash ISA today (Nott BS regular saving one).

Why can't I transfer my old ISA to Coventry?
:huh:

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Why can't I transfer my old ISA to Coventry?
    :huh:
    You can. The bit you highlighted states you haven't/won't subscribe to another cash ISA in the same tax year you subscribe to "this" cash ISA. If you don't subscribe to "this" cash ISA, then you are free to subscribe to another.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    I don't understand...
    I have already subscribed to Nott BS cash ISA for making new contributions.
    Now I want to open a Coventry BS cash ISA for transferring to it, but they want me to declare that I have not subscribed to another cash ISA.

My understanding was that I only couldn't make contributions to different cash ISAs.
  • masonic
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:12PM
    Options
    I don't understand...
    I have already subscribed to Nott BS cash ISA for making new contributions.
    Now I want to open a Coventry BS cash ISA for transferring to it, but they want me to declare that I have not subscribed to another cash ISA.

My understanding was that I only couldn't make contributions to different cash ISAs.
    They have not asked you to declare that you "have not subscribed to another cash ISA".

They have asked you to declare:
    I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this cash ISA

To fulfil this (for the current tax year), you can
    EITHER: "...not subscribe, to another cash ISA..."
    OR: "...not subscribe ... to this cash ISA"

If you have already subscribed to another cash ISA, then you must not subscribe to this cash ISA. That doesn't stop you opening it and transferring into it.
  • grumbler
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:24PM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    If you have already subscribed to another cash ISA, then you must not subscribe to this cash ISA. That doesn't stop you opening it and transferring into it.
    How can I open it then if for this they want me to declare that I have not subscribed to another one?

I was in the process off applying for it (online) and so far I wasn't given an opportunity to select between 'subscribe' and 'not subscribe'. And I have already entered the details of the ISA I wanted to transfer.
  • masonic
    Options
    How can I open it then if for this they want me to declare that I have not subscribed to another one?

I was in the process off applying for it and so far I wasn't given an opportunity to select between 'subscribe' and 'not subscribe'.
    Do you know what subscribe means?

I'm assuming you don't, in which case, simply replace the word "subscribe" with "add new money". If you don't add new money, then you haven't subscribed.
  • ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    I think they assume that you are subscribing (i.e. putting money in) to this new one, but you are not, so it is ok that you've subscribed (put money in) to the other. You are signing up for an account to transfer money in from previous years, so the rule doesn't apply.

That how I understand it.
  • grumbler
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Do you know what subscribe means?

I'm assuming you don't, in which case, simply replace the word "subscribe" with "add new money". If you don't add new money, then you haven't subscribed.
    Firstly, I have already added £50 to the Nott BS when opening it today and will add much more.
    Secondly they want me to declare that "I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA"
    ian-d wrote: »
    I think they assume that you are subscribing (i.e. putting money in) to this new one, but you are not, so it is ok that you've subscribed (put money in) to the other. You are signing up for an account to transfer money in from previous years, so the rule doesn't apply.

That how I understand it.
    That was my understanding too. However, what they say (what I quoted) is absolutely different.
  • masonic
    Options
    Firstly, I have already added £50 to the Nott BS when opening it today and will add much more.
    Secondly they want me to declare that "I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA"
    You keep cutting off the end of that statement. What they say is:

I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this cash ISA

Now, ask yourself the question, "will I subscribe to the Coventry cash ISA in this tax year?"

If the answer to the above question is no, then you have not subscribed to the Notts BS cash ISA in the same tax year that you subscribe to the Coventry cash ISA. Geddit?
  • grumbler
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:53PM
    Options
    You keep cutting off the end of that statement. What they say is:

Yet again, I don't understand your point.
    I have subscribed to Nott BS ISA in 2017/18 tax year to make new contributions in 2017/18.
    I want to open Coventry BS ISA in 2017/18 to transfer.
    Now, ask yourself the question, "will I subscribe to the Coventry cash ISA in this tax year?"
    I think I won't. However, what they say (ask me to declare) is "I apply to subscribe for a Cash ISA for this tax year 2017/2018... I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this cash ISA"
    If the answer to the above question is no, then you have not subscribed to the Notts BS cash ISA in the same tax year that you subscribe to the Coventry cash ISA. Geddit?
    No. Sorry.

ETA: Are you saying that I can "apply to subscribe", but then transfer and not subscribe to this ISA? Even in this case it will be a lie at this point (during application, when I didn't have an opportunity to add any money yet) to declare that I have not subscribed to another ISA.
  • masonic
    Options
    First of all, you can apply to subscribe and then not subscribe. It is simple, just don't add new money.

Secondly, you just did it again. I'm beginning to think this is a wind up.
    You do not have to declare that "I have not subscribed to another ISA."
    You have to declare that "I have not subscribed ... to another cash ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this cash ISA."

Let's try again with a different question: In which tax year will you have subscribed to both ISAs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure