Avoid POP Telecom at all costs!

Options
These people are total scam artists. I was mis-sold an internet package by a sales agent at CarPhone Warehouse, and I've been complaining to POP Telecom since early January, but they keep giving me the runaround, always changing their story and never calling me back when they say they will. I've asked them multiple times to end the contract, and have requested that they refund my money. They have established a definite pattern of constantly promising to fix the situation, and then never following through.

After over 3 months of trying to resolve this dispute, they are still debiting money from my bank account each month, even though I've asked them several times to stop until this dispute is resolved. They claim their automated system can only stop the direct debit if I cancel the contract and pay an early termination fee of over £200, but if I terminate the contract they can no longer investigate my claim for any refund. They say if I cancel the direct debit myself while the account is still open, they will report it as delinquent to a collection agency. Please spare yourself the nightmare of having to deal with these people!

Comments

• jkn
    Options
    I sadly agree as iv had months with no service and when I wanted to cancel my contract I was threatened with over a £700 early termination fee!!! If I had the time I would take them to the small claims court and I really hope some one dose!
    They never call back, always a different person they have no idea what they are doing.
  • Popscoop
    Options
    I would very strongly back Charles and JKN's comments - DO NOT even consider signing up for Pop Telecom - you WILL regret it. It was cost you time, money and lots of nervous energy.
    I found this 'offer' on MoneySupermarket it was for 18 months at £22.99/month, Anytime land calls free - seemed reasonable. As soon as they send you the email stating when the contract starts they also send a link to Trustpilot. This explains why a few good reviews may have slipped through.

Problems started a few invoices in when unauthorised charges start appearing on my Invoice. They were for things like 'Anytime Minutes' (which should have been free), 'Land Line Assurance' , 'Router Assurance', 'CLI PR OR REST OR CALL-RTLRFD', 'Premium Rate High Bar', 'Premium Rate Adult Bar'. The bottom line was that initially £4.50 extra charges appeared. This changed to £6.50 per month when the 'Router Assurance' was added.
    I finally noticed this scam in October last year and asked for a full refund. After a couple of emails they promised to do this. The only sum they ever credited to my account was £7.49 and despite repeated requests they will not return this.

Things hotted up when I tried to switch providers 1 month before the 18 months was up. Pop telecom sent out a letter and email threatening 'Termination Fees' of up to £500. They then state that the contract was for 24 months and that the start date was 2 weeks after the email they sent stating what the start date was! By this scam they claimed that I was breaking my 24 month contract and was liable to pay £160 'early termination fees' as 7 months payment were due.
    Despite sending them screenshots of the offer I took up and a pre-contract email sent clearly stating that I was taking up an 18 month contract they are persisting with this lie.

The next scam is that they hit you with an 'Exit admin' fee. This is locked away in their Terms and Conditions SECTION 32. Anyone considering switching to them - CHECK THIS OUT 1st!
    They tried to claim that I was liable to pay them £100 - £50 for phone and £50 for broadband. These are their latest T&C. The ones they sent to me at the start of contract do have £25 phone and £25 hidden in the small print of the T&C.

Finally the icing on the cake. They have cancelled two attempt to switch to another provider without any explanation or notification. I contacted Ofcom to find out how this was possible and only got waffle about going to CISAS arbitration which takes weeks and a lot of effort.
    I have tried to switch again but don't hold out much hope.
    So at the end of the month I will be disconnecting the router and will have to go without phone or broadband which will be a severe problem.

Don't believe the quotes of £420 for 18 months. in my case they are trying to take over £330 extra.
    I had nothing against these people when I signed up and wished them success in showing up the 'Big Boys'. They have failed abysmally and Ofcom needs to step in urgently and show them the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure