Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for the iPad my dog broke?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the post there is no mention of the dog needing any kind treatment so where your idea of the person looking after the dog needs to foot the vet bill comes from is plain silliness.

The visit to the vet is clearly stated on the newsletter but not in this thread. From the newsletter the dilemma is
    Should I pay for the iPad my dog broke even though he later got injured? My neighbours looked after my dog while I was away for a few days. During that time, he knocked their iPad off a chair, breaking the screen. But they also left a fork lying about that my dog trod on which meant I had to take him to the vet. So after all that should I offer to pay for a repair?
  • Neil_
    Neil_ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Elsien - the vet's fees mention stems from the link to this dilemma in the MSE email which had the added sentence "But they also left a fork lying about that my dog trod on which meant I had to take him to the vet. So after all that should I offer to pay for a repair?"

Dimbo - your reply seems a little mean spirited, or is your tongue in your cheek?

I'd pay for the iPad screen although, tbh, the neighbour was in a position of responsibility for the dog at the time.
    The fork injury? My dog, my bill - but my neighbour may feel they should contribute.
  • joannebt
    joannebt Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 12 April 2017 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Yes you should repair the iPad a friend helping you out should not be out of pocket because they did you a favour. And your dog your bill.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Nah I don't think you should offer to pay anything.

There is no proof that the dog caused this to happen.

If I was looking after your dog and it broke my screen I wouldn't even tell you about it. I would accept that I should have put the Ipad in a safe place!!!!

If they ask you to pay then tell them to ask your dog for the money!
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Not having a dog would have avoided both problems...

Wow, you actually took the time to share that goldmine of wisdom?
  • lizbec
    lizbec Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you should pay. If I were looking after a dog and the dog damaged my ipad, I'd see it as my fault.
    For the sake of goodwill though,you could offer to split the bill. Good dog sitters are hard to come by!
  • Ladybell
    Options
    Do what I do - take your dog with you on holiday. If they have accidental damage on their home insurance they can claim and you pay the excess or, failing that, just pay for the damaged screen. How can they prove it was your dog that did it? It was an accident. I would not have expected you to pay if that had happened whilst I was dogsitting. Stupid leaving stuff lying around.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    The visit to the vet is clearly stated on the newsletter but not in this thread. From the newsletter the dilemma is

I did not read the newsletter and really they need to sumerise the posts better to explain in brief what it is about, I would say that most people would not bother to read it either, Still stand by the by the part whereby the pets owner needs to pay up for any vets bills unless it was something done on purpose by the person supposedly looking after it.
  • AnnJ
    AnnJ Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was your friend's responsibility to ensure that their property was safe whilst having a dog in their care. UNLESS, the dog thrashed lots of her property because she wasn't told the dog had a behavioural problem, and/or the iPad was tucked away somewhere and the dog explored one corner too far, then I would say yes, it is your responsibility.

How did the dog get injured by a fork? That may also be due to lack of care and attention by your friend, or, it may be a random accident. I would suggest that it was your friend's responsibility to keep the dog safe and they failed to do so.

In both instances, and without details, I would suggest that the most amicable compromise is that all the costs are added together and split evenly. And, next time put your dog in a kennel or dog hotel. A lesson learned, maybe?
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    "My neighbours looked after my dog",thats what you say and i would have to disagree.If they allow a dog to run around or walk around their house then it's 100% their responsibility to ensure nothings in danger of being broken.Also it's equally their responsibilty to ensure the dogs safety,so in both cases they should pay.If for example the dog got out and ran into the road causing an accident,who would be to blame?None of this is your fault,when they started looking after your dog(as they agreed to do)they took full responsibility.The i pad can be claimed off their contents ins.and they can pay the vet bill.Don't EVER let them look after your kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure