Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for the iPad my dog broke?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 6 April 2017 at 4:21PM in Pets & pet care
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My neighbours looked after my dog while I was away for a few days. During that time, he knocked their iPad off a chair, causing the screen to break. Should I offer to pay for it to be repaired?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes. You'd have to pay if the dog ran off and caused injury or damage, so why is it any different because he/she was in their/your house?

The neighbours should have been more careful as to where they left the iPad with a dog around, but I speak as a dog owner. Those without a dog (and even some that do have dogs probably; currently have a pup so have to be careful with remotes, my iPad, clothes etc) do not think 'Could the dog get this if I leave it here?' The dog may or may not jump on chairs or scratch things off of a chair normally, but may behave differently when you are not there.

Sounds as though it's only a broken screen, so I'd pay and be glad it wasn't the whole iPad broken. The neighbours have done a favour and saved the dog from having a lot of time in a cage, presumably charging nothing or much less than kennel rates.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the ipad not insured/under warranty?
    Woud your own insurance pay for the damage?

Difficult one to be honest as it is a human not a dog that needs to be mindful of leaving things in places that dog can get to them/damage them but if the neighbour never had own dog he may not be as savvy as most dog owners.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Difficult one,
    One part of me says if you're daft enough to leave an ipad where it could be damaged by a dog.... plus they may be able to claim on home insurance etc etc.
    Another part of me says they're friends who've done me a favour & how much would it have cost to put the dog in kennels ?
    On balance I'd probably offer to help out with it.

Jen
  • pippinpuss
    pippinpuss Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You pay for the screen. They pay for the vet bill. Simple split
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not having a dog would have avoided both problems...
  • john74
    Options
    this is my first ever post so I apologise if it appears in the incorrect place. If someone looks after a pet they become responsible for the actions of such said pet and as such have a duty of care and responsibility. If you looked after a child and something happened to the child you would be responsible, a pet is no different. The injury cases to the pet was as a testily of negligence on the part of the person looking after the dog and as such the pet sitter is liable for any such costs. Unfortunately given that the iPad was lying around and had not been put in a safe place this is again negligence on the part of the pet sitter. It is reasonable to consider that putting said item in an area where it is reasonable to consider it may get knocked off is neglegence on the part of the pet sitter. Had the item been place in an appropriate safe place and that the owner of the pad had made reasonable precautions only then could a claim be made. Mortally the pet sitter is accountable on both parts. However give he/she saved you some money by pet sitting it may be a good idea to pay the cost to replace the screen ! However, if the pet sitter gained financially from looking after your dog I would be asking for the vet fees with no payment being made to the iPad.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pippinpuss wrote: »
    You pay for the screen. They pay for the vet bill. Simple split

The first part of your answer I agree with fully and why this is even a question here is anyone's guess as it is beyond stupid much like all of these scenarios that seem to be made up.

In the post there is no mention of the dog needing any kind treatment so where your idea of the person looking after the dog needs to foot the vet bill comes from is plain silliness.

If there was a made up thread asking about the lines above then as a pet owner if someone was looking after said pet for you and it needed a vet treatment then it is down to the owner to foot the bill, The only time this may not come into play would be through to an act of malice by the person looking after the pet.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OP makes no mention of vets fees - not sure where that snuck in.

With my idiot dog, I'd be surprised that a neighbour volunteered to look after him in the first place. I'd also be expecting some breakages along the way, so would have no qualms about paying for the repair.
    TBH, I'd probably stick him in kennels to avoid coming back to the type of scenario that only an exuberant Gitdog could cause.

In the neighbours position, it would depend how it got broken. Me leaving it somewhere daft and dog brushing past = my problem. Dog deciding it was a toy, I'd be wanting the owner to pay.
    In the interests of neighbourly relations, sometimes it's best to go with it then not ask them to repeat the favour if it causes too much hassle.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sarahpopple
    Options
    They were good enough to look after your dog saving you kernels fees.
    The ipad was an accident. Yes you should pay.
    It's only the screen. Ithe could have been a lot worse.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should have put the dog in the kennels in the first place.
    Pay for the vet's bill yourself it's your dog.
    How about getting a new iPad for your neighbour as a way of saying Thank You instead of paying £20/25 a day in kennels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure