DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    curlu wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new here having found myself exploring a DMP after getting myself into considerable debt through online gambling. I have dealt with the gambling through counselling and have all the blocks in place but have the legacy of nearly £60K of debt to repay. I earn well but am struggling with keeping on top of the stress of dealing with 7 creditors and the imminent end of my promotional rates on a number of CC's that I did transfers on. I went though the Stepchange Remedy tool and it suggested a DMP and generated an application for me which I completed. However the proposed repayment that the DMP suggests had worked out to be higher than my contractual payments and they have now said I don't qualify for a DMP at the stage but to contact if anything changes. I was feeling such relief at the thought of having just 1 monthly payment to make and knowing that I might be debt free within 2 yrs 8 months as calculated....however now I feel I am drowning again and don't know where else to turn apart from debt consolidation loans...but suspect I will struggle to borrow that much with my current lending. Any suggestions?

Hi,

You don't need a 3rd party to have a DMP, organise it yourself by going self managed, you continue paying your creditors, but at a lower, more affordable rate.

Of course you must contact each one and ask for interest and charges to be stopped, then work out what you can afford from your budget, and hey presto.

Lots on here self manage, I'm sure they will be along shortly to tell you how easy it is !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    curlu wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new here having found myself exploring a DMP after getting myself into considerable debt through online gambling. I have dealt with the gambling through counselling and have all the blocks in place but have the legacy of nearly £60K of debt to repay. I earn well but am struggling with keeping on top of the stress of dealing with 7 creditors and the imminent end of my promotional rates on a number of CC's that I did transfers on. I went though the Stepchange Remedy tool and it suggested a DMP and generated an application for me which I completed. However the proposed repayment that the DMP suggests had worked out to be higher than my contractual payments and they have now said I don't qualify for a DMP at the stage but to contact if anything changes. I was feeling such relief at the thought of having just 1 monthly payment to make and knowing that I might be debt free within 2 yrs 8 months as calculated....however now I feel I am drowning again and don't know where else to turn apart from debt consolidation loans...but suspect I will struggle to borrow that much with my current lending. Any suggestions?

Hi Curlu

Welcome to the forum, I'd avoid debt consolidation, even if you could get the credit,a fair few have been there got the Tshirt and are still paying the price !

Just for a minute think about your SC DMP remedy budget, did you fill it in with the idea ofmaking a as much money available for repayments or the idea of making a liveable budget? Go back and do it again changing the budget to realistic amounts and making sure you use the available options, such as pension and parking. This may change the amount you have available to pay. Remember to use the figures for debts for when your reduced interest offers expire, especially if you are having trouble shifting debt. If you can still get decent low and 0% offers, maybe it'd be better to use the snowball calculator, I don't have the link handy but there's a link somewhere in the forum stickies or try google.

I can see why the idea of a single monthly payment appeals at the moment, but if the redone budget still puts you outside the SC criteria, there are other agencies such as Christians against poverty and citizens advice who can both help.

Self managed, as Sourcrates suggests is a great option, but sometimes you need to be in the right headspace to start it, which is why many have found starting with SC and then going self managed is a gentler route. However is still doable. The NEDCAB website has lots of advice and forms, if you can face doing this yourself it's a brilliant place to start.

Look at these ideas and come back for more help if you need it. Facing up to the gambling is an amazing start, don't let the debt grind you down.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Traveller_93
    Options
    So I've found the nedcab website and have filled it all out. I just have a question to ask you - we have rent arrears and also Court costs from our old flat - I have put these a priority debts, is this correct?

Thanks
    SPC 11# 588
    :xmassmileSaving £10 per week for Christmas 2018£40/£500:xmassmile
  • Traveller_93
    Options
    As its a previous property I don't include it as a priority debt according to step change!
    SPC 11# 588
    :xmassmileSaving £10 per week for Christmas 2018£40/£500:xmassmile
  • neiljmuk
    neiljmuk Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Good Morning..

Just a little default update from me..

All but one of my creditors defaulted me within the first 2 years.. the one that hasn't I asked/begged/pleaded but to no avail.. so I took it to the FOS who agreed with the creditor....:mad: So I then took it to the ICO, who are very slow by the way.. and they agreed with the FOS.. so despite paying token payments and the debt being sold they are still allowed to not default you...

I will be saving (slowly..) to do a f & f on this one when I can or I will have AR/AP markers for the rest of my life..:rotfl:

Other than that, still self managing.. tokens to 6 of my creditors since Autumn last year busy doing cca requests.. debt going down slowly.. but it is going down...

With a dd at uni all my money is busy for the next 3 years...:(

But I still love my dmp and we will part company eventually..!!!

Keep smiling folks its only money....

Love Puzz. x

I've got one of those. To make it worse they are marking my payments as settled on the credit file but you know that it will change to AP as soon as they get a payment proposal! I've not paid em in a year. They once made a threat of default. Default must come before any further action such as CCJ so they have another 5 years to default me or they can't do anything ever! Not sure what that would look like on my credit file though?

They will come but stop payments and disappear until you get the magic letter then after you set up an agreement you can go to war on getting it backdated :D

Not posted for a bit but all good from me. Last time I was on I was kicking off because of the situation the DMP had put me in making it difficult to move rented accommodation and panicking generally. 4 months on and we now have a council house in NE Derbyshire. What is more due to rent being knocked off the value of the place should I ever want to buy it, there is less pressure to clean up the credit file as quick as I could get a mortgage for about £2k a year before retirement!

All ups and downs this DMP and life stuff but everyone seems to be doing well :rotfl:
    LBM October 2014 :idea: DMP with StepChange as of March 2015
    Debt at Start of DMP 01/03/15: [STRIKE]£36,282.69[/STRIKE] :eek:
    Debt Now: £33,993.48 :j
  • curlu
    curlu Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Saz
    I filled the budget in accurately based on my actual outgoings. The only variable was that I initially put down mortgage payments as the property is in joint names but this was removed as my husband actually pays this...interestingly when I applying for credit they make me jointly responsible for the mortgage!
    As mentioned I am getting stressed by the !8.7% interest about to hit one of my CC's and that will of course affect my budget but until something changes I cant do much.
    With regard to self manage I don't see how this would benefit me.....there remains no guarantee that any of my creditors will freeze interest and I believe SC will have a better change of negotiating that for me and all my creditors will ask me for a budget and will see I can afford the contractual payments at present so to them I probably don't justify any special treatment! I am currently considering moving to a lower paid role as one of the triggers for my gambling was work stress and I am looking to reduce my stress as part of my rehab and if that happens then my budget will certainly look different!
  • neiljmuk
    neiljmuk Posts: 186 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2017 at 8:32AM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    You need to break the chain.

Tell them your not paying, what are they going to do ???

Take you to court ?

Can't, no agreement exists, so no proof.

Until you tell them to get lost, there going to keep hassling you, tell them your not paying, they will move on to someone else.

Jumped on this thread late but if Link send you a letter saying they have the debt and this is accompanied by a letter from BC (in my case), is that not an agreement with them?

I've never paid Link a penny or acknowledged them yet since that letter a year ago and my credit file is actually getting marked as settled!

How would settled markers affect becoming statue barred? My fear is that acknowledging them will trigger APs!

I assume they must permanently default me before taking court action and that this is a 100% given? If so thats a safety blanket right there as long as it's done anytime soon!

Best course of action?
    LBM October 2014 :idea: DMP with StepChange as of March 2015
    Debt at Start of DMP 01/03/15: [STRIKE]£36,282.69[/STRIKE] :eek:
    Debt Now: £33,993.48 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

I'm not doing very well with being on the forum lately. I am trying to keep up with you all. We've been away on holiday - yes....holidays are allowed whilst you are on a DMP :) We've been camping and have come home very, very wet and fed up.

DMP is ticking along. We received a letter whilst we were away that one of our debts has been sold to Cabot. We've never had any dealings with them before so it will be a new experience. Sold to DCA is good. Maybe in six months or so they will be open to a settlement offer - let's see ;) Hope they're ready for us ;)

Hope you are all well and pushing down those debt totals.

Jan -x-

Lovely to see you back, January:j. I was a bit worried about you when you didn't post for so long. I'm sorry the holiday was a washout but it was probably cheap which softens the blow a bit I hope;)

Good luck with Cabot. I hope their buying your debt will lead to a good settlement figure for you:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So I've found the nedcab website and have filled it all out. I just have a question to ask you - we have rent arrears and also Court costs from our old flat - I have put these a priority debts, is this correct?

Thanks
    As its a previous property I don't include it as a priority debt according to step change!

I'm sorry I can't help you over Priority Debts, Traveller, but I'm sure someone wiser and more experienced than me will be along to put you right.

Well done on making a start to address your debts:T. NEDCAB is a brilliant resource. Good Luck with everything:beer:
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Morning all

I have just received 2'letters from Halifax re 2 loans. Both letters state they are a formal demands for payment or else they MAY issue a default with CRA and instruct a DCA to collect payment etc.

However, I had default notices a couple of weeks ago stating that if I don't bring my accounts up to date etc by the 28th July defaults will be issued.

I assumed that after the deadline of the default notices I would automatically be defaulted. Have I missed something?
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family