Engine management light came on for 2 minutes then went off. Audi A1

Hello,

I have a 13 plate Audi A1, 1.6 diesel, 19,500 miles.

On Friday morning (it is now following Tuesday evening), I was driving to work and my car cut out whilst turning a corner. It struggled to restart but eventually did. I kept an eye over the weekend and it seemed fine.

Monday evening driving home from work, the engine management light started flashing 2 minutes from home. I stopped at home, locked and restarted the car and it didn't come back on. After reading some posts on the Internet regarding short trips and diesels, I took it on the motorway for 20 mins at 60-70mph and filled my almost empty tank with the more premium diesel.

The light hasn't come back on since yesterday after work. Because the light is no longer on, does this mean it has sorted itself out? I am just worried that I could be causing more damage to my car but don't want to pay the £50 to have it scanned if it's probably ok!

Thank you for your advice! I'm a bit of a novice with this subject.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buy yourself a code reader or get a garage to check the codes.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I have contacted audi and they were going to charge me £120 to check and then I rang halfords and they said £50. Do local garages do it for free? Or at least cheaper?!
  • shoe*gal_2
    shoe*gal_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    I may be telling you something daft but my 2.0d A3 had a fault where it just cut out at low speeds. No warning and no stalling - it would just die. I took it to Audi under warranty. They said it was a faulty ignition switch and replaced it. It never happened again. If it's going to cut out it's best to get the fault codes read just in case. We have a code reader which then involves a lot of googling but then if it's an issue it needs to go to a garage anyway. I had my current car checked at a local garage for £25 - BMW wanted in excess of £90 just to diagnose.
  • shoe*gal_2
    shoe*gal_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Becki1989 wrote: »
    I have contacted audi and they were going to charge me £120 to check and then I rang halfords and they said £50. Do local garages do it for free? Or at least cheaper?!

I use a local performance garage who uses the same parts as main dealers but his labour costs are way lower. He was £60 less than BMW to check my engine fault. Probably a third cheaper for the work as well.
  • Thank you, I'm going to try and get in at the weekend as I can't stop thinking about it doing it again! I bought an audi because I thought they were reliable... I'm starting to think otherwise :(
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Your mileage seems way too low for a diesel. Does it get long runs to clear the DPF?

Any diesel, no matter what make, can suffer with lots of short runs.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    waamo wrote: »
    Your mileage seems way too low for a diesel. Does it get long runs to clear the DPF?

Any diesel, no matter what make, can suffer with lots of short runs.
    <nods>
    4yo car, <20k miles... DEFINITELY going to have DPF problems sooner or later, unless you've only recently bought it, and are stacking the miles on much faster than the previous keeper.
  • liltzero
    liltzero Posts: 74 Forumite
    I wouldn't worry about it. Audi cars are one of the most reliable car manufacturers out there (up there with the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen).

If the light has gone off it means the ECU does not detect any problems. Don't sweat over it.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    liltzero wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Audi cars are one of the most reliable car manufacturers out there (up there with the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen).

If the light has gone off it means the ECU does not detect any problems. Don't sweat over it.

You missed Lexus, they always do well on reliability.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    liltzero wrote: »

Unfortunately thats not quite right. Anyone with a code reader will tell you cars have actual faults, stored faults (it will show how many miles and how many restarts since fault occurred) and also pending faults.

Try an online Audi forum, someone local will offer to read your codes. I have PCM scan software that is excellent, well worth the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure