Engine management light came on for 2 minutes then went off. Audi A1

Options
2»

Comments

• shoe*gal_2
    shoe*gal_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    Becki1989 wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm going to try and get in at the weekend as I can't stop thinking about it doing it again! I bought an audi because I thought they were reliable... I'm starting to think otherwise :(

They said the ignition switch was a common fault on my model. I traded it in for a petrol when the DPF started playing up. I don't do long enough runs for a diesel. I had barely any problems with the Audi compared to other cars I've had. You'll be fine - every car has the off problem.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    shoe*gal wrote: »
    They said the ignition switch was a common fault on my model. I traded it in for a petrol when the DPF started playing up. I don't do long enough runs for a diesel. I had barely any problems with the Audi compared to other cars I've had. You'll be fine - every car has the off problem.

Agreed. I've currently got 3. All petrol though. I wouldn't have a diesel and I do over 20k miles a year. I have to say reliability has been great.
  • mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    The light has come on because the engine management system detected a fault, the fault could be absolutely anything with the system and not necessarily related to the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

The DPF will have it's own separate warning light and should give you a fair warning that you need to regenerate it, if it is ignored it will log the fault as more serious, put more warning lights on and eventually restrict engine performance.

The fact that the light went out on its own is good, it means that the fault occurred maybe once and after so many engine starting/running cycles it hasn't occurred again. A fault code should be still stored in the ECU and with the correct diagnosis equipment such as VCDS it should record the fault frequency/time and some data with it - engine/road speed, vehicle voltage etc - this will help in finding the cause.

You say that it happened when steering the car, the A1 has a steering system that is electrically powered and it can consume high currents up to 60 amps, this can place a momentary load on the battery which after 4 years it may not be at it's best, which could cause voltage drops to the sensors on the engine.
  • Becki1989
    Options
    I bought the car a year ago with only 13,000 miles on it. I don't drive it enough at all and wish the garage dealer had warned me of this when I bought it because I didn't know this was an issue!! Thinking about trading it in for a petrol, just don't want to lose money on it :(!
  • Becki1989
    Options
    I do sometimes have a different light come on for the DPF and try to give it a good run when it comes on. Think I might seriously consider swapping it. Love my car though!!
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make sure you have enough diesel in the tank in future.
  • Becki1989
    Options
    It wasn't on red? Does it need to have more than that in even? I can make sure it is topped up if that will help...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure