New job and JSA

Options

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    beth222 wrote: »
    In fact a girl I work with is allowed to keep her JSA even though shes working at same place as me and her adviser told her that the wage of £108 per week wouldn't affect her JSA payment as she only 15 hours.

That girl is at best confused and facing an overpayment, and at worst committing fraud and facing prosecution.

You will lose your JSA payment. Each time you sign you need to declare your hours worked and earnings and your payment will be recalculated accordingly.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    You can keep £5 a week or £20 if you're a single parent, so you'll be at least £28 a week better off and you won't have to jump through the hoops at the Job Centre.. HB and CTC will probably be unaffected .

If you do switch to UC you will still be required to look for another (extra) job to bring your hours up to 35.
  • MHOWARD_2
    MHOWARD_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I still find it a very small wage without the help of the JSA payment as well and that is why I thought if I worked 15 hours I would be entitled to both.

It's a small wage as it's only fifteen hours per week, maybe you could up your hours or even go full time after a while. Also it's easier to get a better paid job when you are in work than it is if you are jobless. Not to mention the self respect you will gain from working.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    15 hrs is not a full time job. It used to be 40 hrs, possibly now it's 35 hrs

So 15 hrs over 5 days is 3 hrs a day. That leaves you 5 hrs a day ( based on a 40 Hr week) in which to fit another part time job into if your 15 hrs isn't enough to live on

There are of course 7 days a week so there's another two days in which to have a part time job as well.

Why do you think you are entitled to only work part time and let the tax payer pick up the pieces?
  • beth222
    beth222 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Told you I could earn upto a £115 per week without it affecting my benefit.

Permitted work higher limit

This allows you to earn up to £115.50 a week, after tax and national insurance deductions, without affecting your benefit, if you are getting employment and support allowance (ESA), incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance (SDA) or national insurance credits because of incapacity for work. The work must be for less than 16 hours a week. The earnings limit is normally increased each October.
    You can normally only do permitted work higher limit for up to 52 weeks. There is no 52 week time limit if you are on ESA and have been placed in the ‘support group’. From April 2017 there is no 52 week time limit for people on ESA.
    If you have a break in your claim of more than eight weeks (or 12 weeks for ESA), you can repeat the 52-week period of permitted work higher limit. Otherwise, you can do further permitted work higher limit only after a gap of more than 52 weeks since you last did it.

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Told you I could earn upto a £115 per week without it affecting my benefit.

Permitted work higher limit

This allows you to earn up to £115.50 a week, after tax and national insurance deductions, without affecting your benefit, if you are getting employment and support allowance (ESA), incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance (SDA) or national insurance credits because of incapacity for work. The work must be for less than 16 hours a week. The earnings limit is normally increased each October.
    You can normally only do permitted work higher limit for up to 52 weeks. There is no 52 week time limit if you are on ESA and have been placed in the ‘support group’. From April 2017 there is no 52 week time limit for people on ESA.
    If you have a break in your claim of more than eight weeks (or 12 weeks for ESA), you can repeat the 52-week period of permitted work higher limit. Otherwise, you can do further permitted work higher limit only after a gap of more than 52 weeks since you last did it.

This does not apply to JSA.

Perhaps your friend was on ESA?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you said you were on JSA.
    you didn't mention sickness or disability.

what criteria do you meet for permitted work?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    As you are new I will phrase this nicely.

You are really really very confused about benefits and you don't appear to know what you are talking about.

You posted here for help and people are helping you.

You cannot keep both. Otherwise, why would people Choose to work 20/25 hours?

You need to get more hours if you think your wage is too low.
  • beth222
    beth222 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I'm making a point. if your allowed to keep your benefit on ESA then the same rule applies on JSA. my friend who started working for a cleaning co keeps her JSA and still gets a wage and pay slips.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    I'm making a point. if your allowed to keep your benefit on ESA then the same rule applies on JSA. my friend who started working for a cleaning co keeps her JSA and still gets a wage and pay slips.

No, the same rules do not apply.

Is this a wind up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family