Is it true that you can't transfer during sky cancellation period

Options
I called up Sky today to cancel my account. I cancelled the tv, but for the phone and broadband they said if I set the cancellation in motion I can't transfer to another provider during the 31 days. Also that it would be at least 14 days after my account closes before another provider could set up an account/activate it. This would mean I would have a break in service and be without the internet for a couple of weeks.

I'm still looking for a new provider but I was hoping to get the cancellation period started.

Does anyone know if what I was told is correct?

Comments

• steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes,it's true if you cancel BUT you don't want to cancel if you're transferring.

Select your new broadband/phone supplier,place the order and they will contact Sky to arrange the transfer.

If you cancel first another order can't be placed on your line as Openreach aren't capable of handling more than one order at a time on an account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You would also lose your landline telephone number.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Migration is usually quoted as 14 days or 10 working days from agreement. Therefore, contract with a new provider so you move just after your end on minimum term date, to avoid any fee (though it will be small).

I contracted with PlusNet on a Friday and was quoted 10 working days from the first following working day (ie Monday), so migrated on a Friday.
  • HapPea
    HapPea Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the explanations. I'm not too bothered about losing the number as I never use it, but I've seen the BT deal in the weekly email so think I'll just sign up for that.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HapPea wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanations. I'm not too bothered about losing the number as I never use it, but I've seen the BT deal in the weekly email so think I'll just sign up for that.
    You are aware that BT and Plusnet charge a cease fee (About £35) if you move to LLU or cable (even out of minimum term), as they have decided to treat such migrations as ceases.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You are aware that BT and Plusnet charge a cease fee (About £35) if you move to LLU or cable (even out of minimum term), as they have decided to treat such migrations as ceases.

As if we did not have enough reasons to avoid suppliers, here is a serious one for BT/Plusnet and I assume EE which is now part of BT.

I think we need to make complaints to OFCOM about this RIP OFF CHARGE.

These ceases are a cost of doing business, half the time they are done virtually and then when an Engineer signs up a new customer they get charged the installation fee for doing what is in effect, the same piece of work.

I used to see benefit in BT owning Openreach/BT Wholesale, now I just want it broken up, I think the CMA or whatever they call it these days should force BT to sell EE Broadband AND Plusnet.

We need some decent competition in this market!
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure