Getting Sky for someone else at different address

Options
Scenario - despite being together for over 10 years my girlfriend and i have managed to avoid moving in together - works great for us!

I am a previous Sky customer but left over 12 months ago as i don't watch too much TV and am happy with Freesat.
My Gf has a Sky package, the TV part of which costs just under £50 a month - she was thinking about leaving Sky because of the cost but likes her TV too much and would miss the Sky+ functionality. She doesn't like the setup of the Freesat box i have so isn't even willing to try that for a bit...

Sky are constantly badgering me to come back to them with special offers etc, reduced price, free tv (which would come in handy).

So, my question is - would i be able to rejoin Sky at my address and simply take the card/box to her house for my gf to use, allowing her to cancel Sky and save quite a bit of money every month - in fact she would save nearly £50 a month as it would obviously be me paying the subscription, which i don't mind if it is only about £22 and keeps her sweet (and me fed :D)!

Any advice?
Mortgage free!
Debt free!

Time poor...

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Would it not just be easier to help her lower the price directly with Sky?
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From what I understand sky now only install sky Q on new installs.
    You could have it installed ( including dish ) at your house but the box wudnt work with her existing dish.
    Why not just try to sign up in your name at her address?
    As long as you are willing to pay out of your bank account.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    keith1950 wrote: »
    From what I understand sky now only install sky Q on new installs.
    You could have it installed ( including dish ) at your house but the box wudnt work with her existing dish.
    Why not just try to sign up in your name at her address?
    As long as you are willing to pay out of your bank account.

A Q box won't work on her cables, but will a card from a Q box work in an old Sky+ box ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    A Q box won't work on her cables, but will a card from a Q box work in an old Sky+ box ?
    Even if that were possible, it would mean linking the card to another box and continuing to pay for Sky Q. I can't see any money being saved that way and Sky would doubtless be alerted to fraudulent use at another address.

Most sensible course of action is to go through with a cancellation and accept a retention deal at the property where the subscription is to be used.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the OP left Sky fairly recently, wouldn't Sky reactivate his Sky+ account? Can't see that they would force him to take Sky Q to rejoin if he has all the original equipment.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your girlfriend has Sky, she can utilise the Sky Go function, and possibly the Sky Go+ function. The first allows her to watch Sky on the go e.g. via a laptop or tablet. So you/her can access her Sky at your house if you have the equipment and can be done on up to 2 devices. If you watch via a laptop you can connect to the TV via a HDMI cable. The + function will allow her to download programmes to watch later which I think costs £5 a month, and I think is for up to 4 devices. It is perfectly legit way of watching Sky elsewhere - my mum is always round my house watching the footie. If you had Sky, then she could do the same at her house, when you are there and wanting to watch Sky on the go.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your girlfriend has Sky, she can utilise the Sky Go function, and possibly the Sky Go+ function. The first allows her to watch Sky on the go e.g. via a laptop or tablet. So you/her can access her Sky at your house if you have the equipment and can be done on up to 2 devices. If you watch via a laptop you can connect to the TV via a HDMI cable. The + function will allow her to download programmes to watch later which I think costs £5 a month, and I think is for up to 4 devices. It is perfectly legit way of watching Sky elsewhere - my mum is always round my house watching the footie. If you had Sky, then she could do the same at her house, when you are there and wanting to watch Sky on the go.

I think that HDMI outputs are disabled when using Sky Go on devices-certainly used to be, to stop people getting multiroom via the back door:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure