Giffgaff now providing credit reports...

Options
shortcrust
shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
edited 8 February 2017 at 6:24PM in Credit file & ratings
I've just had this email from giffgaff (my mobile provider). Haven't seen it mentioned before so sorry if it's old news:

Hey Christopher,

giffgaff money is here to get you “money fit”, and knowing your credit score is the foundation of your financial fitness.

That's why we've launched our free credit report. It only takes a few minutes and gives you some information that could help your financial future.

It's completely free and for a limited time it's exclusive to our members. You're part of the family, after all.

Edit: Identical to Noddle I think. Same score and out of 5 rating.

Another edit: Actually, account info is more up to date than my Noddle report (which was only produced four days ago) so it might be useful after all.

Comments

• dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    When you sign up for sites, they take a snapshot at that point I believe hence why it's a fresh report.

Maybe it calls on the Callcredit API's the same way MSE uses Experian's API's? Does it not say callcredit anywhere on the site?
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Yes it does mention callcredit. It's provided by 'giffgaff money' which is not heard of before.
  • dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    After googling it and checking their forums it's a feature that got trialled before Christmas. Callcredit runs Noddle.
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • DonnySaver
    Options
    Is this GiffGaff "free" credit report legitimate or a scam. I've received an email today from them. I am a GiffGaff customer but I'm always a little suspicious of these sorts of emails.
  • mandySaver12
    Options
    Seems legit, they appear to be setting up a new money lending service according to their site: giffgaff. com/support/giffgaff-money-tips/what-is-giffgaff-money (I can't post links yet)
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Quite surprised by this. The phone loans are provided by Ratesetter so I thought they themselves were staying out of finance.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I could understand if Call Credit charged for accessing your reports, but they don't and have their free version of Noddle, so what's the point of GiffGaff bothering with this?

Equifax have Clearscore as their free version.

You can only get your Experian "score" for free with MSE Club (monthly) and if you're a Barclaycard customer (every 2 months).

What we really need is the free version of an Experian credit report.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure