Not being asked for verified by visa password when making card purchases

Options
A few months ago, I noticed that I am no longer prompted to enter a Verified by Visa password when I make purchases online, even on sites that support it. I was previously asked to enter my password every time I purchased something to allow the transaction to be completed. This has made me feel a bit unsafe when purchasing things online. I use paypal whenever possible but some retailers (amazon, most notably) don't accept it. I understand that a lot of people found VbV to be an annoyance but I didn't mind it at all. I felt that the added security it provided was worth the extra few seconds required to complete a purchase. I looked on my bank's website and there was an announcement buried amongst the help pages stating that they have quietly dropped VbV and are no longer requiring customers to enter a password. Is this standard policy now for all the major high street banks?

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Lloyds Banking Group dropped it a couple of years ago. Which makes me more likely to use my Halifax credit card online as I always found VBV a curse.

At the time of implementation they said they'd put in place additional security procedures.

Remember, the bank is liable for fraud, not you. VBV didn't seem particularly secure to me as password resets were always lacking any worthwhile security.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard sent an email recently saying they wouldn't be using it as much.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was quite pleased when it stopped because I could never remember the password and had to faff around setting a new one.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    This sounds like excellent news: the death knell of an insecure, cumbersome, useless system.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I was quite pleased when it stopped because I could never remember the password and had to faff around setting a new one.

Me too....:mad::D
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think I've maybe had two VbV prompts recently. Amex's similar thing Safekey has literally triggered for me once, ever.

I don't mind it to be honest. Never have.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Chaykin
    Chaykin Posts: 87 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Santander also dropped it few months ago - https://twitter.com/santanderukhelp/status/775786409961594880
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I was asked for it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • societys_child
    Options
    I thought VbV was more about protecting the merchant than the customer?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    I thought VbV was more about protecting the merchant than the customer?

It's 100% about protecting the bank. 0% about protecting the merchant or the customer. Merchants felt they had to implement it, otherwise the banks would blame them for any loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure