Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,903Posts
    • 21,216Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - Back Again
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    Sashybo - Back Again 2nd Jan 17 at 10:55 PM
    Hi all, has been a good long while this time since I've had a diary, think this is number 4 overall. My last diary can be found HERE.

Current debt now under 10K. This is mostly made up of loans we had to take out to cover the negative equity of the flat we sold a couple of years ago.

I must admit we have slipped occasionally and had to do a couple of BT's etc as got into a bit more debt when we bought a new house & wanted shiny new things to go in it.

Overall, things are headed in the right direction but now we have a new challenge as DH & I are expecting a baby in May.

I only get 3 months full pay then 3 months half pay on maternity leave in my job & won't be able to go back full time as we both do shift work and there's no way to work childcare around the shifts we do (7 days in a row & many unsociable hours to boot). So we'll have to reduce the spending & batter the debt as will have a smaller income.

So I've come crawling back - I find having a diary here does help to keep me focused and stop so much silly spending.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - 11,635 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off 56,249
    Loan 906, CC 0% BT 275, Car loans 19,531.57

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
Page 41
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 8th Jan 19, 1:29 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 21,216 Thanks
    sashybo
    Had to continue in another post as the one before was getting epically long.

DH phoned up our mortgage company yesterday as our fixed rate deal ends in April. They sent a letter saying that if we move to a new deal with them then they move you onto the new deal straightaway. We were looking at staying with them on a new fixed rate deal anyway as it saves going through all the paperwork & affordability checks etc that could cause us some grief. He was thinking about reducing the term on the mortgage from 25 to 20 years too.

DH spoke to a very helpful lady who told us not to reduce the term as this is then classed as a new application & you have to redo all the paperwork & financial checks.

She said instead to switch to the new fixed rate deal we were looking at (still over 25 years) & once that is all set up then to phone back & ask to overpay enough each month in order to reduce the mortgage term by 5 years.

She said that way they can make sure we don't hit the yearly overpayment limit & they can amend the DD for us. It also means that if we were struggling we could reduce the DD back down to the new monthly payment, which is 180 less than our current payment.

So pretty pleased with the good customer service & the better mortgage deal we'll be on as well. Our mortgage interest rate will be reducing from 4% to 2.19% so a good saving for us.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 10th Jan 19, 9:12 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 21,216 Thanks
    sashybo
    Put out 2 black bags of stuff for the charity collection yesterday morning, 2 less bags of stuff cluttering the house. I have started another bag & sat it at the top of the stairs so I can put things in it as I come across them.

So, I'll never find out who Andy & Grace are. The company replied saying that email was sent in error (no, really!) and said which pillow was which according to the codes on each. No explanation as to why they hadn't been labelled in the first place though, not terribly impressed. Will give the pillows a shot but will send back if they're not right.

Exhausted after two early shifts, went to Mr M's on the way home yesterday & Mr Al's on the way home today so all stocked up. I got a new changing mat for DS as they had them for 3.99 & also got a potty for 3.99. I know DS is too young to use it yet but thought it might be a good idea to keep it in the bathroom & he can even try sitting on it (fully clothed) when he feels like it.

My sister cut both DS & my hair yesterday which was good of her and saved me 30.

Got part of my order from wilk0s - the two storage drawer units. Have put both in a cupboard each downstairs & they have helped already as I had to tidy the walk in cupboards & brush the floor before moving them in. The cupboard with the one giant shelf that DH put in is so much tidier. Everything is much neater as I sorted it out & can see everything now when I open the door. The other unit has hats, gloves & scarves in it, underneath the coat hooks, which frees up a drawer upstairs.

I sorted out the drawer units as soon as I got home after unpacking the shopping. I knew that if I sat down it wouldn't get done.

Going to a friend's for lunch tomorrow with DS & DH, I will probably stay for a while afterwards for some wine & DH will take DS home.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 21,216 Thanks
    sashybo
    Had a nice time at my friends & didn't even have a hangover. Drank lots of water before bed though.

Got my undershelf storage baskets & have put them in the cupboard with the giant shelf so they hang underneath it. Using it for overflow tins of things that don't fit in my tin cupboard. Makes things a bit tidier anyway.

Have also managed to clear a bit of worktop space & the kitchen looks so much better in general now.

My family are driving me mad, we were talking about going on a short break to a lodge for my mum's 60th but her birthday is in July so peak time & there are 12 of us including the kids. 2 nights is looking like 800 which is too much in my opinion.

That's before food, entertainment or petrol money. I said why don't we do it either before or after peak times because it's too expensive. My mum had a slight paddy as she wants to go for her birthday & no one can agree on where to go. Starting to think this may be a recipe for disaster.

I think maybe a big day trip & dinner would be better and a lot less expensive. Have a feeling my mum will fall out with me if I suggest it but literally none of us can afford this! We have been putting some money away but only have about 260 between all of us as I thought we would be doing some kind of offer or voucher so it would be cheaper. Blinking families.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 17th Jan 19, 11:12 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 21,216 Thanks
    sashybo
    The outcome of the family drama is that we're going to give my mum the money we've saved & she can book a short holiday with friends and we'll all just go out for dinner.

I'm glad it's been decided & this way there's not as much potential for arguments/falling out. Also my mum isn't very fond of my brother's girlfriend so there would probably have been an argument there too.

My mum is very hard on my brother's gf & takes offence/snaps quite easily at her. I actually feel sorry for her as my mum's not always been the nicest to her. She is a bit strange with us (myself & my sister) & seems to resist getting to know us but not sure how much of that is due to her & how much is due to my mum's behaviour. I think the main issue is that my brother keeps saying he wants to leave her but never does. He says he wants to live in the same house as his DD.

On the subject of families, my MIL is coming up for the weekend tomorrow. I'm working late shift tomorrow but have managed to get Saturday off work. Today I cleaned the bathrooms & did a couple of washings. DH is going to do the tidying & hoovering tomorrow since I'm working. Will have to see what he's planning on feeding her & DS whilst I'm at work. She'll be delighted when she arrives as I'll be at work all night so she'll have her son & grandson to herself.

I also did a quick top-up shop at Mr Al's & Mr M's today so hopefully we won't need anything else over the weekend.

Have booked our first overnight stay away without DS for the start of March. I found a deal for dinner, bed & breakfast at a nice hotel for 139. I've never been away from DS overnight so am feeling a bit nervous. I know he'll be fine with my mum and it's good for him in the long run, well actually good for all of us but it'll still be weird for me. DS is nearly 20 months old now ( how did that happen?!) so we need to do it sooner rather than later.

We're having a practice run at the end of this month as both DH & I are working early shifts one day (6am starts) so DS is going to stay overnight with my mum & I can collect him on the way home from work the next day. We've had the same issue with early shifts before but my mum just stayed over at our house, fingers crossed he's ok overnight at hers.

Not much else to report except I've got the Waffle doggy theme tune stuck in my head. DS is quite obsessed with it as it has a dog and a cat (his two favourite things in the world) & we watch two episodes after dinner most days. He tries to sing the theme tune which is very cute but the blinking song gets stuck in your head forever. Also the parents on that programme are very annoying at times. I was actually explaining the family set up to my mum & sister the other day. I think I've been thinking about it too much.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,152Posts Today

8,734Users online

Martin's Twitter