PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

O/S Daily Monday 28 November 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 November 2016 at 7:35AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Monday 28 November 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, but dry underfoot and quite mild. Hoping to get some washing on the line before I leave for work.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit, will wake him in a while.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, HG green beans, peas, yorkshires and gravy - was all lovely and only yorkshires and cauli/broc cheese as LO's, but joint was a small one so I wasn't too bothered about there being any left as I don't like reheating pork and it goes hard once cold. Tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

We had a lovely time away - although the weather was very cold and frosty but beautiful sunshine, hotel and the staff were lovely and really friendly and helpful, I got all the xmas shopping pretty much done, there's just both sets of our parents and 1 nephew (both parents get a voucher - 1 for big diy store and other for a theatre they like to visit, they choose what they want to see and pay with said voucher, 1 x nephew - DH's sister's son, we don't have very much to do with them, but send him a cheque for birthdays and xmas as DH's parents sent cash year before last and nephew made a comment last year about not receiving any money the year before ...............(DH's parents told us last year just before xmas, so we now give a cheque) - there's a huge long history of issues with DH's sister, so we're not being mean, just trying to do the best we can in the situation we find ourselves in. We managed not to overspend and prezzies were bought with the cash that we took, we only paid for DH's watch (he's needed a new one for ages but had a £50 voucher - found one in a sale that he loves, and so we paid for it with voucher and the rest on the cc, but did that for the insurance cc brings). This is the first year I've not spent loads on the cc, makes you much more aware of what you're spending.

Back to work today for me, hoping it'll be quite busy so the day passes quickly. The changes to the bin collection service have been announced starting last week, so expecting that to be a frequent enquiry.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,166 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all. Thanks for the thread nmlc.

Another star-filled sky outside so I assume it's cold.

Apart from one early afternoon appointment I have nothing much planned. Must cook up some lamb mince and venison sausages which I took out of the freezer last night. I've got a tiny bit of online banking to do, two reassessments to mark and one internal verification. Oh, making that list has turned into a plan! More to do than I thought. :)

Thinking of the poorlies and hope Camelot survived her busy Sunday.

TA, I'm sorry to read about more worries over your DH.

Happy Monday to everyone.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers My song list is ready :xmassmile[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]lonewhitewolf Thinking of you and your family xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The chickens are called Matilda, Goldie, Luna, Brownie, Chocolate and Rosalee :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There's no point in taking a few days off, you always end up paying for it all at once, lol. I'm going to put the washing machine to work in a mo, there are at least three loads to do, maybe four. The whole house needs vacuuming and dusting. I need to go through the freezer then persuade the others to eat what's there, rather than keep buying more stuff – especially when they buy things that we already have. I've managed to keep the freezer in order so all they need to do is open the drawers to check. I've warned them that there will be no yummy Christmas food and treats if they insist on filling up the space with rubbish :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's too dark to see what the weather is doing here but it is very cold. I am going to have to put the heating on in the mornings soon for the girls. Hubby has left for work, he's in a grump as the company he works for has lost his request for time off over Christmas. He booked the time off in April when the holiday hours were allocated but now the company are saying that he only booked off a Friday and not the full week he asked for. Hopefully it will get sorted out today.

I am supposed to be going out today with my lovely CMHT lady but I can't face it. I just want to sleep as I had a bit of a rubbish night. I will see the girls go off to school and then I am heading back upstairs.

We have lots of leftover pork from yesterday's lunch so I am going to make a sweet and sour sauce and serve it with rice for tea. I can't stand leftover pork so I am going to make myself a jacket potato with tuna.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Quite mild here this morning but the forecast is for a severe frost tonight. Brr!

I have to go to the Health Centre for a blood test and keep putting it off but have decided I can postpone no longer and will go this morning. Whilst out I shall get the remaining gifts on my never-ending list. I couldn't be ar*ed starting all the wrapping yesterday after all (lounging on the sofa was a preferable idea!) so maybe I'll make a start this afternoon!

Not much to do in the way of cooking today as lots of leftovers to eat up, including a plated up lamb dinner for Mr TA to pop in the mw.

I had a couple of phone calls over the w/e from DB re his MIL. She was taken in hospital midweek and has gradually deteriorated. They have been told to expect the worst. She lives near us so I know her well. She's 96 and up to this year has kept quite active. A lovely lady.

Have a good day if you can and thinking of LWW, COXY, LAINEY and HILSTEP. ((HUGS)) to all else in need. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,942 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all,
    Thanks for the thread nmlc xx
    DD played a rugby festival yesterday. She was very tearful and managed to hold herself together but it was hard to watch. We met up with family afterwards and the six cousins saw fantastic beasts whilst us adults had a meal. It was a hungry h0rse place and the wait time and service was appalling, but given the circumstances we find ourselves in, it seemed trivial to moan.
    Work beckons. I have a busy-ish day as my line manager works a compressed week and has mondays off. This means I look after her boss too, although my boss is travelling from 11am today.
    Glad the chickens have names tru - I was about to get my thinking cap on!
    Not sure what's for dinner - DS1s turn to cook tonight.
    Hugs to all the poorlies xx
    Coxy xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Well, this is the day - there's nothing in the kitchen apart from old units and a blind, hopefully when I get home tonight there will be nothing at all!

I did survive yesterday thanks Gers, cheered up by a good chat and coffee with you. Oh, and a little glass of grape juice last night! Thank you also for the pulley, just the job. DD and BF were a great help, the chap coming to take the old kitchen turned out to be quite nice (not the mad axe man after all). I think I got myself into a tizzy for nothing.

Glad the girls are settling in tru, quite tame names, I'm sure my children would have called them something quite silly.
    Thinking of you Lainey and Coxy. TA, how is Mr TA?
    Glad you had a good time nmlc.

Have a good week ahead. Take care. XX
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all x
    When DH got home last night he was understandably down. But at least he started talking to me about it . They are sure it will be in the next 2 weeks so just have to wait for the call.
    My last week at work this week so I am on countdown now. Tbh I can't wait to finish there and have a break from being shouted at.
    Must menu plan tonight with some easy meals in case we get called back to fil. Do not want to do anything that takes time to cook ie slow cooker food just in case.
    Anyhoo better get on
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning chums and life gets back to normal after my weekend away.Thoroughly enjoyed it and am now ready to face the hurly burly of the coming month.I also bought my DDs ma-in-law a nice lantern with a scarlet candle in for Christmas and only have to wrap it and then write out all the cards and its all finished as planned before the end of November .:) I am so pleased as the thought of trailing around the shops when its packed does not appeal to me at all

My old friend June is coming down from Dartford today, and we are having lunch out, as I have a £20,00 voucher for Brewers Fayre collected from points over the year :) so a freebie lunch is just the job.

I actually didn't spend very much over the weekend at all, probably around £20.00 of my Happy Stash Cash so I am quite chuffed about that as well.Big outgoings on the cards for December though as I have a £600.00 bill for my central heating to be power-flushed on the 19th plus DGS Bens 21st on the 16th and DGS wedding on 24th ,plus both my DDs birthdays one on 2nd and the other 19th !!! Luckily I am quite prudent and have a cushion of savings to fall back on thank goodness.
    I always have had a 'just in case' account which has got me out of trouble over the years and I like to keep topped up if I can .So come January it will need refilling a bit I think :):):)

Right time for a cuppa methinks. Hope you all have a good day and keep warm and dry

<<Hugs to the poorlies and worried folk >>I am thinking of you all at this tough time

Love'n'stuff

JackieO xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2016 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Morning all
    Very cold here this morning I really didn't want to get out of bed as I haven't slept well this weekend but I must get to work.
    My L&M is on the late shift this week which means going out to collect him just at the time I would normally go to bed.
    I will chase up the solicitors too today, I'm thoroughly disgusted at their total lack of business skills, knowledge and service, I shall be telling them in no uncertain terms, this should have taken 3 to 6 weeks, it's 5 months and counting.
    Another one here who is looking forward to Tru's songs, love the chickens names too.
    Time I set of to work.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    CAMELOT thanks for asking about Mr TA. Surprisingly, considering all his ailments, he keeps quite well and actually looks the picture of health! He suffers more with his knees (both in need of replacement) but they won't consider that op in view of all his other ailments! They are hopeful that the Liverpool treatment over the last year will keep the growth of the tumours in check for at least a couple of years. He has to have 6 monthly scans to keep an eye on them. We try to live for now and not worry about the future. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport