We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New builds... is it just me?

Options
Hi everyone,

We live in a 15 year old house, so not quite a new-build. However, we live in a "new build village" which was finished a couple of years ago, with ours being one of the first homes built.

We've lived here for 3 years now and as a community, it's my dream place to live. However, I am getting seriously worried about the quality of the houses here. Last year we had two radiators fall straight off the wall when the wind blew a door shut, and today we have started having our first proper work done on the house - an en-suite refit. The job has been half done but it has involved yet another radiator falling off a wall (the other side of the wall which was having tiles pulled off it), and I've just opened the airing cupboard (also bordering with the en-suite) to be showered in debris and to see a huge crack from floor to ceiling. This is amongst other more minor niggles we have put up with over the last few years, such as doors not fitting in frames properly.

My major worry is that (and I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's how I feel,) we will outlive this house, which we wanted to stay in forever.

This community was built by a variety of builders, across more than 10 years, and I have been in a variety of different houses here and also modern houses elsewhere. They all seem to have the same problems.

It gets me down because I do love living here, but worry about the long-term. If I were to buy again, I'd be looking 1930s or earlier. Do you think people in more modern houses will have problems in the future due to the awful build quality? I have no idea who will buy these houses in 30 years time when they are falling to bits.

Just wanted to share my thoughts really.

Laura

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dunno. My house is probably 300 years old or more. I fully expect it to outlast me.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My last house was 'newish', about 5yrs old when i moved in. I much prefer the one i'm in now, about 1930s, but the other one was easier to look after and maintain.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Plumber90
    Options
    Who was the house builder
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You built a village in your home and still had space to live?

Now that's an impressive place - why worry about the state of the housing?

If not, the housing forums are up-board.
  • SailorSam
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My house builder ? Wimpey.
    I always use to describe it as a 2bed Wimpey rubbish, but it was ok.
    The thing i didn't like when i first moved in was there was no fireplace, i wanted 'a feature' that you could sit around rather than just the Tv. And wanting a gas fire i needed a flue, so that was one of the first jobs building that. And the walls were very thin, like egg boxes, so you could hear next door. But i lived there about 25yrs so it couldn't have been that bad.

• RainbowLaura
    Options
    Sorry pogofish, because it does concern things inside my house I posted here, but yes it appears not the correct location. Is is possible for this thread to be moved?

Mine is McLean, which I believe has since been bought out by Wimpey. Just as you describe SailorSam. Fireplace was first on our to-do list funnily enough!
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've never lived in a "new build" but whenever I see yet another new estate going up I always refer to them as rabbit hutches. From what you've said OP a rabbit hutch would be better built.
    Pants
  • SailorSam
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I built a false fireplace then got a steel tube exhaust which i put through the wall (into the garage) then up the outside. After i did mine the guy opposite did the same, but he had the pipe going straight up through the bedroom to the roof, and hid the pipe inside fitted wardrobes, he said it helped to heat the bedroom.

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I work on a Bellway site and they put proper heavy duty (3 newton) block walls inbetween adjoining properties and these extend up into the roof.

No sure about the Charles Church (Persimmons) houses being thrown up on the site next door, but would assume they are the same.

As for radiators falling off the walls, I would gues that the wrong wall fixings were used at the time of original installation.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    I work on a Bellway site and they put proper heavy duty (3 newton) block walls inbetween adjoining properties and these extend up into the roof.

No sure about the Charles Church (Persimmons) houses being thrown up on the site next door, but would assume they are the same.

As for radiators falling off the walls, I would gues that the wrong wall fixings were used at the time of original installation.

What do you do on that site? :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport