Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ben306
    • By ben306 24th Nov 16, 9:34 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ben306
    Ground rent through a 3rd party? Simarc trying it on?
    • 24th Nov 16, 9:34 AM
    Ground rent through a 3rd party? Simarc trying it on? 24th Nov 16 at 9:34 AM
    Hi All,

New to the forum and hoping I can get some help.

I've had an letter from a company call Simarc. Having checked the website, it doesnt look very professional.

They are apparently the collection company for my ground rent. I've been in the house 18 months and this is the 1st time I've had anything from them. The ground rent is 12 a year and they want 18 which is right for how long I've been in the property, but this company want a further 60 ground rent collection cost.

There are a few things that don't ring right for me. The number you call is just an automated thing. They dont have the correct postcode. They have attached the original letter which is actually addressed to the previous owners. They mention a Wallace Estates Ltd as being the landlord so why cant I just pay them direct?

Any help or advise appreciated.
    Last edited by ben306; 24-11-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Page 1
    • ben306
    • By ben306 24th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ben306
    • 24th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    • 24th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    I've just looked at this Wallace Estates and it appears Simarc are a subsidiary of them, therefore arent they trying to double bubble with the collection cost fee they are trying to enforce?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 24th Nov 16, 10:50 AM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 7,126 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 24th Nov 16, 10:50 AM
    • 24th Nov 16, 10:50 AM
    As a starting point, read your lease to see if it allows the freeholder (or their agent) to charge an admin fee for collecting ground rent..

and/or

Ask the agent which clause in the lease they are relying on for applying the 60 charge.

(But perhaps pay the 18 ground rent, if you agree it's due.)
    • martindow
    • By martindow 24th Nov 16, 11:28 AM
    • 7,820 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    martindow
    • 24th Nov 16, 11:28 AM
    • 24th Nov 16, 11:28 AM
    Is the ground rent overdue? If so they may be using their subsidiary to do the chasing. I would pay the ground rent directly to the LL.
    • ben306
    • By ben306 24th Nov 16, 4:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ben306
    • 24th Nov 16, 4:03 PM
    • 24th Nov 16, 4:03 PM
    I don't believe the ground rent is overdue from what I can see in the limited paperwork they have sent me.

I'll have a check of my lease tonight
    • G_M
    • By G_M 24th Nov 16, 5:36 PM
    • 45,849 Posts
    • 55,319 Thanks
    G_M
    • 24th Nov 16, 5:36 PM
    • 24th Nov 16, 5:36 PM
    Ground rent is never due until/unless it is demanded.

Is this the first demand you've received?

Since it is addressd to the previous owner, were the freeholders properly informed of your purchase?

http://www.lease-advice.org/

My landlord has not demanded ground rent. What should I do? Ground Rent

Can my landlord increase the ground rent? Ground Rent

My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it? Ground Rent

Am I liable to pay arrears of ground rent that accrued prior to me purchasing the property? Purchase/Sale
    Last edited by G_M; 24-11-2016 at 5:39 PM.
    • ben306
    • By ben306 25th Nov 16, 8:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ben306
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:32 AM
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:32 AM
    Had a look through the lease, its just the original one from back when the house was built in the mid 60's. Showing the rate of 12/year.

No mention of the company that's sent the ground rent demand. and I cant see anything in there about being able to charge for a collection fee etc but its all written in old legal eagle!!!.

I am assuming the ground rent has been sold onto this company.

I know its not a massive amount we are talking about but I dont like to feel I am getting ripped off.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 25th Nov 16, 8:44 AM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 7,126 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:44 AM
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:44 AM
    So ask them which clause in the lease they are relying on to charge you 60.

The may come back with some very plausible, sensible reasons for charging you 60 - but if it isn't stated in the lease (or in some other contract which you have agreed to, or in some piece of legislation that overrides the lease), you don't have to pay it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

5,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you to the team at the Westen eye hospital a&e. I scratched my eye ball in my sleep, then woke up with pain.? https://t.co/VJMwQfsRxv

• I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Follow Martin