TalkMobile and 'referred' applications

leitmotif
leitmotif Posts: 401 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
edited 18 October 2016 at 5:18PM in Mobiles
Hi all.

I've just signed up for a 24-month contract with TalkMobile through Mobilephonesdirect. The application has been 'referred' for a manual credit check. This isn't the first time I've experienced such a thing. I took out a 24-month contract with TalkMobile through CPW a couple of years ago and had the same thing. But I've checked my credit rating through Experian and it's about as good as a credit rating can get, there's no inaccurate information on there, I have never defaulted on mobile phone contract payments (nor on rent, credit card payments, etc.) and have always had six figures in the bank. So what on earth could be the problem? Last time it happened TalkMobile insisted I had to put down a £100 'deposit' as a precaution as I had failed their credit check (bear in mind I pass any other credit check, e.g. the Santander 123 Current Account). I eventually got it back after 6 or 12 months (can't remember). Is this just a ploy to borrow £100 off each of their customers, even the most creditworthy of them? This will add another couple of days to the delivery, which is an added inconvenience.

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    No problem. I've ordered several contracts from Mobilephonesdirect on Talkmobile for myself and others and it almost invariably takes up to a week for the same reason despite what they say on their website. Methnks it's the dealer rather than Talkmobile, though they are also extremely restrictive on how many cuncurrent contracts you can have with them.
  • Did you get accepted for your "referred" application?
  • Well, I won't know for up to 48 hours. Mobilephonesdirect said next day delivery. I'm going on holiday at the weekend. If I haven't got the phone by then the deal is off.
  • mobilejunkie
    benwylie wrote: »
    Did you get accepted for your "referred" application?

Yes; I think one may have been refused because I had too many in a short period.
  • mobilejunkie
    leitmotif wrote: »
    Well, I won't know for up to 48 hours. Mobilephonesdirect said next day delivery. I'm going on holiday at the weekend. If I haven't got the phone by then the deal is off.

I'd make that at least 48 hours and ignore what it says on their website.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2016 at 3:03PM
    I'm on my second deal with Talkmobile (having briefly switched to GiffGaff).

My first was through e2save and I ended up having to pay a £100 deposit. My second is through MPD and I was most surprised that it went through pretty much instantly. Dispatched the same day I ordered.

So it's not just standard practice, although my credit history, while fine, doesn't sound anywhere near as strong as the OPs. So logic might be lacking.

My new account has been opened as a "Dr" instead of a "Mr" though, for reasons I can't fathom as it isn't in any of the original application information. I am taking this to mean that TalkMobile have some future insight into my (currently non-existant) thesis and viva :D
  • leitmotif
    So, I failed the credit check. I logged in to Experian, and found what I was expecting: a five-star credit score with no anomalies or inaccuracies. Phoned TalkMobile, who said talk to MPD. Phoned MPD, who said talk to TalkMobile, because they are the ones doing the credit check. Phoned TalkMobile, who said that although they are the ones doing the credit check, I need to speak to MPD as I am trying to take a contract through them. Grr! After some debate, I managed to get an e-mail address: creditadmin@talkmobile.co.uk. Have sent them a detailed e-mail requesting a bit of common sense.
  • leitmotif
    So I complained about being turned down and they said they'd reviewed the matter and were sticking to their guns. Fine. I'll take my business to a competitor. I'm sure that the loss of my few quid a month won't make a difference to them, but I pointed out to them that if their system will turn down customers with a credit score and credit report like mine then it will certainly be turning down many other creditworthy customers. Besides, who have I been with for the last few years, always paying all my bills in full and on time? You guessed it: TalkMobile. Absolute muppets. I'd complain, but what for? It's like walking into a newsagent and trying to buy a newspaper, and he insists over and over again that he won't sell you one, even though you're waving the money under his nose and have bought papers from him many times.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2016 at 10:33PM
    No 1 but you can see your credit rating and I mean no 1.

Lenders, mobile phone networks look at your history, you can be rejected for anything, if lenders dont like something on your history then they reject you.
  • leitmotif
    edited 22 October 2016 at 4:26PM
    Even if they've been 'lending' to me (read: taking monthly direct debit payments from me) for several years already? That's what makes this all the more idiotic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure