Pregnancy Test Question

Options
Hi

I'm on the pill, have been for a long time with no problems. The pill I'm on generally gives me very light periods (2 days light bleed). I am now 11 days overdue for my period. I had a couple of days spotting approx. 7-9 days before I was due. I have had this happen previously on this pill but have then always followed up with a light period when expected.

So I took 2 pregnancy tests 3 days after I was due (Sainsburys if that makes any difference) which were negative so I just figured it was pill related that I'd not had my period as planned and assumed that the couple of days spotting must have been it. I read online that sometimes results don't show up so I took another test (Co-op) last night, it came up as negative but this morning there is a very faint pink line which has obviously developed overnight. Again reading online this could mean it is positive but hormone levels are low, but this long after my period surely it should be a more obvious positive?

I'm not really sure what to do, seems silly to buy any more tests, should I go to see the nurse and see what they say? I'm still taking my pill currently as the first tests came out negative. Any advice / ideas / previous experiences appreciated.

Thanks (sorry for the long post)

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The 99p store sell two tests for 99p!

I would just wait a few days then test again.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You shouldn't take test results after about 10 mins. The fact a line came up overnight was probably an evaporation line. I would say that far past when period is due is probably a negative test. You could of ovulated very late, if you have messed up taking the pill, and you aren't as far pregnant as you thought. Wait a week or so and take another test with first urine of the day.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Frezka wrote: »
    I usually buy two tests. If the result is at least one positive, then I go to the doctor.

It's not often that someone describes buying pregnancy tests as a regular activity !! :)

Anyway, yes you cant get a false positive, only false negatives
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »

You can, but it's very rare - usually due to some fertility drugs
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not often that someone describes buying pregnancy tests as a regular activity !! :)

I've been reading about this recently, for the obvious reasons. We've had 1 very clear positive result followed by 2 negative results.

As I recall, you can get a false positive result (although false negatives are more common). One reason given was traces of blood in the womans urine.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    shiny76 wrote: »
    I've been reading about this recently, for the obvious reasons. We've had 1 very clear positive result followed by 2 negative results.

As I recall, you can get a false positive result (although false negatives are more common). One reason given was traces of blood in the womans urine.

Even men can get a false positive pregnancy test although it is sadly an indicator of testicluar cancer.:(

http://www.testicularcancerawarenessfoundation.org/tcaf-blog/2015/3/12/the-truth-about-testicular-cancer-markers-and-detection-with-pregnancy-tests
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Options

Yes you can!! I was taken to A&E a few years ago, and they did a pregnancy test to rule it out (I definitely wasn't!), and it came back positive!!

My (new-ish) boyfriend was horrified.

I insisted on another one, but an emergency had come in, so I had to wait the longest 45 minutes of my life.

Second one negative, phew!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some people take time to get a positive result due to lower pregnancy hormones. I'd wait another 4 or more days and test again. However a test is not reliable after the time given on the instructions do I wouldn't give any credence to a line showing after so many hours.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Options
    FacelessNumber, how are you doing?
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for asking. I saw the nurse at my GP surgery (as I'm on medication that if I were pregnant I would need to stop taking) - she did a pregnancy test there which was negative so now I'm just waiting to see if I get my next period. If I don't they will be referring me for scans to see what's happening.

Thanks everyone for the advice / replies :) Panic mostly over now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure