MSE News: Halifax and Lloyds to slash rewards and interest on flagship accounts

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No mention of Tesco. Still at 3% for now.
  • Mike_Saver
    Options
    Before April the banks payed £5/mth net of basic rate interest, equivalent to £6.25 gross. Non-taxpayers could reclaim the difference.

From 6th April they payed interest gross, at the reduced rate of £5/mth. Customers saw the same figure on their statements, but were 20% worse off. In effect the banks had stolen the government's tax cut from their customers.

From 1st February they are going to pay £3 gross, a cut of 52% on a year earlier.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mike_Saver wrote: »
    Before April the banks payed £5/mth net of basic rate interest, equivalent to £6.25 gross. Non-taxpayers could reclaim the difference.
    From 6th April they payed interest gross, at the reduced rate of £5/mth. Customers saw the same figure on their statements, but were 20% worse off. In effect the banks had stolen the government's tax cut from their customers.
    From 1st February they are going to pay £3 gross, a cut of 52% on a year earlier.
    The payments will still be net of BR tax and non-taxpayers will still be able to claim the difference, just as now.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

If you are talking about the Halifax Reward, it is not interest. The clue is in the name;).

Halifax have not stolen the government's tax cut.
    The payments will still be net of BR tax and non-taxpayers will still be able to claim the difference, just as now.

Correct.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

There is one born every minute.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is Classic account with Vantage still exist for those who still have it ??

The last communication I received from them is in July 2014 mentioning the rate was slashed to 1.5%. No other communication regarding the drop interest I have ever received since then.

People who has Santander 123 with minimum amount of cashback might be start be looking into this account if it is still paying 1.5%.

For people who still have Vantage account and meet the vantage requirement. Does Lloyd still pay 1.5% interest for the balance of £3000 - £5000 or not ?

Is there any news about the interest rate changing of this account ??
  • Consumerist
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:06PM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »

The last communication I received from them is in July 2014 mentioning the rate was slashed to 1.5%. No other communication regarding the drop interest I have ever received since then.

People who has Santander 123 with minimum amount of cashback might be start be looking into this account if it is still paying 1.5%.

For people who still have Vantage account and meet the vantage requirement. Does Lloyd still pay 1.5% interest for the balance of £3000 - £5000 or not ?

Last I heard from Lloyds is that they were discontinuing all (Lloyds) Vantage accounts. They are still available from Bank of Scotland, I think.

Currently, BoS Vantage account is paying 3% on £3k - £5k balances [Thanks YorkshireBoy for the correction]. As mentioned earlier, they recently introduced a minimum requirement of 2 x DDs to qualify for Vantage interest so they may not change their interest-rate structure just yet.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    adindas wrote: »

Answered on their website...isn't it?...

https://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/existing-customers.asp
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    Currently, BoS Vantage account is paying 3% on £4k - £5k balances.
    £3k - £5K.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    £3k - £5K.
    Thanks for the correction YorkshireBoy.

Incidentally, you can have up to three BoS Vantage accounts, if I remember correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure